Going on the pill while I am on the implant? Watch

beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've been on the contraceptive implant since 2011 and I'm sick of having really long periods because of it! They're less painful/heavy than before I went on it which is good, but I hate how long they last. I've been on my period for about 3 weeks now! It's annoying because the implant is the only form of contraception which I trust and which suits me and I've found it great, apart from the periods of course.
I've noticed some people mention going on the pill alongside the implant to help their periods? Has anybody done this? Will it stop them completely, or just help shorten them? I'm scared it will make them worse as before i went on the implant I was on the pill and my periods were awful
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by beccaxheapes)
Hi, I've been on the contraceptive implant since 2011 and I'm sick of having really long periods because of it! They're less painful/heavy than before I went on it which is good, but I hate how long they last. I've been on my period for about 3 weeks now! It's annoying because the implant is the only form of contraception which I trust and which suits me and I've found it great, apart from the periods of course.
I've noticed some people mention going on the pill alongside the implant to help their periods? Has anybody done this? Will it stop them completely, or just help shorten them? I'm scared it will make them worse as before i went on the implant I was on the pill and my periods were awful
Ive heard of doctors prescribing only a month or twos worth of the mini pill to women on other forms of contraception who were having mensural problems and it helping them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
katehlouise
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I got the implant, I was pretty much constantly bleeding for 3-4 months. I was then given the pill to take alongside it, and had that combination for three months. It stopped my periods completely when I was taking the pill as well. After three months, I stopped taking it to see if it had helped the implant effects calm down, but I just started bleeding again so got it taken out! Your nurse/doctor won't give you that combination for the long-term. I would have happily stayed on both (i felt completely safe then!) but they said I should get the implant out.

If it's giving you long periods, then I'd say it wasn't really agreeing with you.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had this problem so my doctor put me on a 3 month course of microgynon (no breaks) and it sorted mine out.
beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks
Abbie2324
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,
I have had nexplanon since November and then I started to bleed so I went on mycrogynon for a couple of months, after that I had a period and then didn't have one its now a month later. I was wondering if when I stopped taking that pill that my implant wasn't effective anymore? Because I now have had awful lower abdomen and I don't know what it is?
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The implant won't have been affected. See your GP.
Bailee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have the implant and I'm takin the mini pill it's been ok for 3 months but now I've started bleeding again.i started my period the 17th February 2016 and it didn't stop.then I had the implant in on the 6th of sept 16 and I was still bleeding.i got the pill in Feb 17 and i stopped bleeding.im on my 4th pack now and I've started bleeding again and I dnt know what to do
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
See your GP.
Bailee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by unprinted)
See your GP.
I've been to the GP so many times they just say give it time to work.but I've been on it since Feb this year n it did stop for 2 months and it's started again.ive even had the depo injection an it made me worse
laurenemdawson
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
when i first got the implant i bled for 3 weeks straight and had 3 day breaks in between, i was given cirelle to take alongside for 3 months with no break (microgynon/rigevidon doesnt agree with me), i stopped taking it about two weeks ago and havent had any signs of a period yet did experience some acne on my back and chest because of the increased hormones but this seems to be clearing now!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
hi I was on the implant and I took the pill because my periods were really bad. I got put on the pill for 3 months to see if it would calm my period down which it didnt and then got told to keep taking the pill. I hated it because the pill made very emotional and I wasn't myself for months because of it.
lucymorton1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I have currently had the implant in for just over a year and have had four periods 2 lasting 3 months and 1 lasting 6 months. I have been to see my gp about this and was put on Mefenamic acid which is well known for calming heavy periods down but after taking my prescription it hasn't helped at all. I'm now going on the progestogen pill for a month to see if that helps. I developed high blood pressure and migraines from regividon.
Belinda Martin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I’ve had the implant for a month and I’ve still been taking cerelle with it because they told me to finish the pack and I’ve lost my period completely, is it because I’m pregnant or is that just what happens? I always use condoms too and I’m good at taking the pill around the right time but I can’t stop worrying
20anonymous20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’ve been on both implant and pill but the sickness and emotional rollercoaster was unbearable after two weeks. Might not be the same for everyone, but I was sick nearly every morning after taking it the day before and I went through a short term depression that I can only owe to the pill and implant combined because I was fine before.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Belinda Martin)
Hi I’ve had the implant for a month and I’ve still been taking cerelle with it because they told me to finish the pack and I’ve lost my period completely, is it because I’m pregnant or is that just what happens? I always use condoms too and I’m good at taking the pill around the right time but I can’t stop worrying
I don't know why they told you to continue taking the Cerelle - it just means you have more progesterone than you actually need - but not having any period is a normal side-effect of changing hormonal contraception.

Continuing not to have any is another normal side-effect of being on a progesterone-only contraceptive: some women get 'spotting', some women get an extended light bleed, some women get neither. What happened when you were on Cerelle alone?

Unfortunately(?) not getting any bleeding does cause some women to wonder if they are pregnant. With the implant, that is staggeringly unlikely: it's even more reliable than having a sterilisation operation.

Obviously condoms have other uses, and you can do a pregnancy test every so often (Poundland etc ones are much cheaper than the big brands) but you would have to be extremely unlucky to be pregnant while using the implant regardless of whether or not you use condoms as well.
Jules.vic12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just had the rod removed and started in the pill straight away, does this mean I’m still protected or will I need to use a condom till the full affect of the pill kicks in?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I would not recommend doing this I am doing it as we speak and I also have a close friend doing it and we both are having the same problem. I’m always nauseous. I have had migraines since I started the pill with the implant. I’m always tired. I run high fevers all the time. I do not recommend mixing birth controls and put all them different hormones in you body.
Millieg2018
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been on the implant for nearly a year but I got put on feanolla in february and was fine then came on my period 2 weeks ago and still bleeding. I don’t know whether to come off the tablets or stay on them?
Bethyjohn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve just been given cirelle after bleeding for 6 weeks on the implant. How many days did you take the mini pill for before your period stopped?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads