The Student Room Group

Conservatoire or music at uni?

I am currently on a gap year and have a place to study music at Cardiff university in September. I originally applied for a completely unrelated course last year but decided instead to follow my heart and study music - hence the gap year.

I have worked really hard this year alongside a new teacher and have improved my playing a lot. I already have grade 8 trumpet and grade 7 piano.

I have realised that although I do enjoy the academic side of music my true love is playing however I am not a confident person and therefore this has always put me off conservatoires.

I have been asked by serval people 'what music college are you going to?' and alway get the feeling that people think that music at uni is less respected than at music college.

I am now having second thoughts about going to uni in September and was considering the possibility of a further gap year to audition for music college.

I haven't spoken to anyone directly yet and don't want to ask my parents yet. I just wanted some advice really.

I hope some of that makes sense! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If music performance is your passion then I would say a conservatoire is definately the way to go!

I have just graduated from a music composition course at Coventry University, and in the words of one of my lecturers "If you go into an interview with this degree on your CV you'll be laughed out of the room."

Universities just do not have the same impact that a conservatoire has on a CV and for your future job prospects. By the sounds of your physical abilities I say go for the conservatoire! Your confidence will only grow with time :smile:

I hope this helped.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I'm seriously considering it but a second gap year doesn't appeal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes conservatoires are more prestigious if you're pursuing performance but remember that you can always apply for a postgraduate course at a college. Having an academic university degree combined with a postgraduate performance course at a conservative is another option for you to consider!
Reply 4
Original post by Tash16
I am currently on a gap year and have a place to study music at Cardiff university in September. I originally applied for a completely unrelated course last year but decided instead to follow my heart and study music - hence the gap year.

I have worked really hard this year alongside a new teacher and have improved my playing a lot. I already have grade 8 trumpet and grade 7 piano.

I have realised that although I do enjoy the academic side of music my true love is playing however I am not a confident person and therefore this has always put me off conservatoires.

I have been asked by serval people 'what music college are you going to?' and alway get the feeling that people think that music at uni is less respected than at music college.

I am now having second thoughts about going to uni in September and was considering the possibility of a further gap year to audition for music college.

I haven't spoken to anyone directly yet and don't want to ask my parents yet. I just wanted some advice really.

I hope some of that makes sense! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:

Just wondered if you had made a decision yet, because your current situation sounds a bit like mine!

I originally auditioned for 2012 conservatoire entry on Piano. I got two offers, but I suddenly realised that might not have been the path I wanted to follow. My second instrument at that time was the trombone, so I decided to take a year out and really concentrate on improving my trombone playing, with a view to applying for 2013 conservatoire entry. I unfortunately got rejected from both of my choices, so decided to look into the more "practical" uni courses. I ended up choosing Huddersfield, which does put quite a bit of emphasis on performing. So I have accepted that offer.
However, recently I seem to have developed a playing injury in my lip, which is affecting my trombone playing. So this might well make it difficult to go and study trombone at Hudds! :frown:

So now, I am facing the possibility of maybe another gap year, and applying again on Piano for 2014...

Sorry for the massive paragraph, but just thought our situations were similar :smile:
Reply 5
I've been faced with this problem. I personally am applying to university in October, and then provided I get in somewhere, I hope to then apply to the Royal academy for a masters in performance! I am a counter tenor and therefore a lot of people have advised me that waiting a couple of years is best to let me voice settle down.

So I've taken a long shot and decided to apply to Cambridge to do music, and hopefully sing in St. John's choir. It's obviously a very difficult plan to 'achieve' but I mean I would absolutely love to go to university, and would hate to Miss out on the opportunities it provides. I myself do prefer performance, however a degree from a university in academic music at this stage in my life, seems more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by 5McD
Hello :smile:

Just wondered if you had made a decision yet, because your current situation sounds a bit like mine!

I originally auditioned for 2012 conservatoire entry on Piano. I got two offers, but I suddenly realised that might not have been the path I wanted to follow. My second instrument at that time was the trombone, so I decided to take a year out and really concentrate on improving my trombone playing, with a view to applying for 2013 conservatoire entry. I unfortunately got rejected from both of my choices, so decided to look into the more "practical" uni courses. I ended up choosing Huddersfield, which does put quite a bit of emphasis on performing. So I have accepted that offer.
However, recently I seem to have developed a playing injury in my lip, which is affecting my trombone playing. So this might well make it difficult to go and study trombone at Hudds! :frown:

So now, I am facing the possibility of maybe another gap year, and applying again on Piano for 2014...

Sorry for the massive paragraph, but just thought our situations were similar :smile:

Hi,

I haven't actually made a decision yet. Can I ask what your audition experiences were and what sort of level you were at when you auditioned? So am I right in thinking that you are also 19? Its nice to have found someone in the same situation as me!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Tash16
Hi,

I haven't actually made a decision yet. Can I ask what your audition experiences were and what sort of level you were at when you auditioned? So am I right in thinking that you are also 19? Its nice to have found someone in the same situation as me!

Good luck :smile:

Hi :smile:

When I auditioned on Piano, I went to RNCM, RCS and Birmimgham. I am not the most confident of people, so I was a bit nervous for them all! I got my offers from Birmimgham and RCS, and got rejected from RNCM, even though I felt I played better there. I had taken my Piano grade 8 a couple of years prior to my auditions, and I was working on diploma pieces when I was doing auditions.
However, when I did my auditions on trombone, I had only just got my Grade 8, and hadn't been with my new teacher that long. And because Piano had always been my main instrument, I hadn't had that many solo performing opportunities on trombone. So I was more nervous for these auditions. So this might have had an effect on why I was unsuccessful in both conservatoires, RNCM and RCS. I do regret applying to only two to be honest!

Yes that's right, I'm 19 :smile: A second gap year sort of appeals to me if I'm not going to be able to study trombone, but the only thing that jumps out at me is the fact that I would be 20 before I go away haha!...

Hope all is ok with you :smile:

EDIT: Sorry I'm actually not 19 yet lol... I turn 19 next month...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 5McD
Hi :smile:

When I auditioned on Piano, I went to RNCM, RCS and Birmimgham. I am not the most confident of people, so I was a bit nervous for them all! I got my offers from Birmimgham and RCS, and got rejected from RNCM, even though I felt I played better there. I had taken my Piano grade 8 a couple of years prior to my auditions, and I was working on diploma pieces when I was doing auditions.
However, when I did my auditions on trombone, I had only just got my Grade 8, and hadn't been with my new teacher that long. And because Piano had always been my main instrument, I hadn't had that many solo performing opportunities on trombone. So I was more nervous for these auditions. So this might have had an effect on why I was unsuccessful in both conservatoires, RNCM and RCS. I do regret applying to only two to be honest!

Yes that's right, I'm 19 :smile: A second gap year sort of appeals to me if I'm not going to be able to study trombone, but the only thing that jumps out at me is the fact that I would be 20 before I go away haha!...

Hope all is ok with you :smile:

EDIT: Sorry I'm actually not 19 yet lol... I turn 19 next month...

Knowing that I would be 20 before going away and 24 before graduating worries me too. I'm not confident at all and although I have had quite a few performance opportunities I know that nerves might still get the better of me! I still haven't made a decision yet though.
Reply 9
Original post by Tash16
Knowing that I would be 20 before going away and 24 before graduating worries me too. I'm not confident at all and although I have had quite a few performance opportunities I know that nerves might still get the better of me! I still haven't made a decision yet though.

Yeah as I said, age is a worry. But there again, I suppose if it's what I really want to achieve, I'd be willing to a be a bit older before graduating! :smile:

If you decided to apply to conservatoire, which instrument do you want to audition on?
Reply 10
Original post by 5McD
Yeah as I said, age is a worry. But there again, I suppose if it's what I really want to achieve, I'd be willing to a be a bit older before graduating! :smile:

If you decided to apply to conservatoire, which instrument do you want to audition on?

Trumpet :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tash16
Trumpet :smile:

Cool :smile:

Which colleges would you apply for? After only applying for two last year, I would definitely apply for more this year!
Reply 12
Original post by 5McD
Cool :smile:

Which colleges would you apply for? After only applying for two last year, I would definitely apply for more this year!

Royal Welsh, Trinity Laban, maybe royal northern, and RCM.

I'm worried that it is more likely that I won't get a place and will have wasted a year...
Reply 13
Original post by Tash16
Royal Welsh, Trinity Laban, maybe royal northern, and RCM.

I'm worried that it is more likely that I won't get a place and will have wasted a year...

Well I suppose that's a risk. I remember last year, that went round my head before I applied for the second time. Yes it was unsuccessful, but I think if I hadn't tried it, I would still be thinking "what if"...
I'm probably still annoyed with myself for only audition for two lol...

Good luck with whatever you decide anyway!
Reply 14
Original post by 5McD
Well I suppose that's a risk. I remember last year, that went round my head before I applied for the second time. Yes it was unsuccessful, but I think if I hadn't tried it, I would still be thinking "what if"...
I'm probably still annoyed with myself for only audition for two lol...

Good luck with whatever you decide anyway!

Thank you, good luck too! :smile:
Hey everyone!

I am in a very similar situation and i'm so glad I found this thread.

I think the ultimate thing you have to decide is whether you want to spend all your time being a great performing or learning the academic side of music.

I got an unconditional last year to study on the popular music course at Goldsmiths because they seem to have a wide range of people interested in a variety music, great location (London, not New Cross) and the course did look interesting BUT I think this is the part where you have to decide where you fit in the spectrum.

For me there just wasn't enough emphasis on performing and I quote one of the lectures said we aren't the 'session musician' type college (even though session musicians are slowly fading away, not that they don't exist but often the same players get the same work, it's quite hard to break into) I have both experience with this with my brother playing internationally for some of the leading pop groups and if I'm honest you need to be fantastic and to an extend have some luck.

I think conservatoire are the only way to go if you want to be a great performer (Not that great musicians don't come from Uni courses) I think it's a better environment to develop quicker. Also I remember very well from the audition stages at Goldsmiths (there was something like 800 to 40 places) many of them were saying... 'oh but are they any performance opportunities) which gives you an impression most of the candidates haven't done any gigging (even though some were brilliant creative types, songwriters, etc) and after all you need to go and find your own opportunity. (I think this is different for classical and jazz musicians, as the niche is smaller and more competitive)

Anyway back to the thread my choices next year are; I am a double bass player by the way. Applying for jazz courses.

Trinity (On the fence with this one because it will be the toughest to get into)
Birmingham. (Very good course and tutors, competitive but they take a lot of players, something like 30? (so for unusual instruments you have more of a chance (in theory anyway) )
Royal Welsh. Very good course.
Leeds College of Music. Very good course (maybe even one of the strongest however because it is only three years instead of four this is a big disadvantage. )

I would be over the moon with any of them. I am an electric bass player (7/8 year playing) however I started leaning about 16months ago double bass because it's favoured in a jazz setting, so I have a lot of work to catch up on.

All the best everyone, anyway. Is anyone based in the South West?
*forgot to add, I've had to take a second gap year, so I am in a similar position to some of you.
I am very glad to found this post. I am very passionate about music. I love music very much.
Reply 18
Original post by Grizzly_Bear
Hey everyone!

I am in a very similar situation and i'm so glad I found this thread.

I think the ultimate thing you have to decide is whether you want to spend all your time being a great performing or learning the academic side of music.

I got an unconditional last year to study on the popular music course at Goldsmiths because they seem to have a wide range of people interested in a variety music, great location (London, not New Cross) and the course did look interesting BUT I think this is the part where you have to decide where you fit in the spectrum.

For me there just wasn't enough emphasis on performing and I quote one of the lectures said we aren't the 'session musician' type college (even though session musicians are slowly fading away, not that they don't exist but often the same players get the same work, it's quite hard to break into) I have both experience with this with my brother playing internationally for some of the leading pop groups and if I'm honest you need to be fantastic and to an extend have some luck.

I think conservatoire are the only way to go if you want to be a great performer (Not that great musicians don't come from Uni courses) I think it's a better environment to develop quicker. Also I remember very well from the audition stages at Goldsmiths (there was something like 800 to 40 places) many of them were saying... 'oh but are they any performance opportunities) which gives you an impression most of the candidates haven't done any gigging (even though some were brilliant creative types, songwriters, etc) and after all you need to go and find your own opportunity. (I think this is different for classical and jazz musicians, as the niche is smaller and more competitive)

Anyway back to the thread my choices next year are; I am a double bass player by the way. Applying for jazz courses.

Trinity (On the fence with this one because it will be the toughest to get into)
Birmingham. (Very good course and tutors, competitive but they take a lot of players, something like 30? (so for unusual instruments you have more of a chance (in theory anyway) )
Royal Welsh. Very good course.
Leeds College of Music. Very good course (maybe even one of the strongest however because it is only three years instead of four this is a big disadvantage. )

I would be over the moon with any of them. I am an electric bass player (7/8 year playing) however I started leaning about 16months ago double bass because it's favoured in a jazz setting, so I have a lot of work to catch up on.

All the best everyone, anyway. Is anyone based in the South West?

Can I ask what you are planning to do in your second gap year?
Hey,
At the moment my plans are just to do as much practice as possible, starting doing some classical grades on double bass (even though I'm doing jazz) revising for my Grade 5 theory exam and all my other time is working. To pay for lessons and my new double bass.

So not to much fun, I might regret not going travelling or anything. (but it isn't affordable) I've done lots of gigs in the last year about 40. All my time goes on practice now, you?

Quick Reply

Latest