The Student Room Group

PGL 2013? I have a few question.

Hi, me and a friend were thinking of applying for the up coming season as we don't know what we want to do with our lives and having PGL on a CV would look particularly good if applying for a public sector job, particularly the fire service (so I'm told)

We want to be group leaders / activity instructors and basically we have a few questions and would appreciate any input :smile:

1) Which centres would you recommend based on location, facilities, people and accommodation ?

2) Which centres would you suggest avoiding e.g due to the management being autocratic dictators ?

3) Do the provided accommodation have internet so as to browse the world wide web and that is capable of connecting to the EA servers to play games like fifa :colondollar: ?

4) What is the average age group of the Workers their (group leaders and activity instructors)

5) Are we able to bring people who don't work there back to are house/room/shed/place where we live ? :colone:

6) What sort of things do the staff do in their social time :colone:

7) How many people work at the larger centres ? (roughly)

9) How much free time would an AI/GL get per day (again roughly)

10) How many days do you get off per week as an AI/GL

Finally any tips on applying would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Scaly Man Fish :smile:
Reply 1
I realise this is a couple of weeks old, however they are good questions and there may be others interested in working for PGL:

1) Which centres would you recommend based on location, facilities, people and accommodation ? - totally depends on what you'd be comfortable with. some centres are huge with over 100 staff, some are absolutely tiny. Also think about the actual physical location.. Would you be happy being hours away from a large town/supermarket?

2) Which centres would you suggest avoiding e.g due to the management being autocratic dictators ? - This is going to be far too subjective! Also most stuff tend to go back to the same centre each year so noone is really going to have much of a comparison

3) Do the provided accommodation have internet so as to browse the world wide web and that is capable of connecting to the EA servers to play games like fifa :colondollar: ?
- every site I worked at (3 in total) had broadband internet. The speed isnt great though in the evenings as 50+ staff try browsing through a residential internet line.

4) What is the average age group of the Workers their (group leaders and activity instructors) - Most instructors/group leaders are either pre-uni (18/19) or after uni (21/22) gap yearers. Seniors will be older and the centre mananger likely to be 40s.

5) Are we able to bring people who don't work there back to are house/room/shed/place where we live ? :colone: - Yes as long as they sign in with reception.

6) What sort of things do the staff do in their social time :colone: - Drink, watch tv, internet, games consoles, some of the activities.

7) How many people work at the larger centres ? (roughly) - 100+

9) How much free time would an AI/GL get per day (again roughly) - Instructors tend to work 9-5. The group leaders basically have their breaks when the kids are doing activites; so you'll work 7am-9am 12-1pm 5pm-9pm etc.

10) How many days do you get off per week as an AI/GL - 1.5

- Remember that you do the job because you enjoy it. The pay is terrible.. so youve got to enjoy it! Remember that the weeks/kids will totally fly past for you, but for the kids they will remember their week for years. The kitchen staff have the worst job on site, so be nice to them!

Also, I know the job is "AI/GL".. however most people tend to become one or the other after a few weeks on site. Have a think about which would suit you best and try to steer towards that. Personally I became an activity instructor specializing in abseiling.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
I realise this is a couple of weeks old, however they are good questions and there may be others interested in working for PGL:

1) Which centres would you recommend based on location, facilities, people and accommodation ? - totally depends on what you'd be comfortable with. some centres are huge with over 100 staff, some are absolutely tiny. Also think about the actual physical location.. Would you be happy being hours away from a large town/supermarket?

2) Which centres would you suggest avoiding e.g due to the management being autocratic dictators ? - This is going to be far too subjective! Also most stuff tend to go back to the same centre each year so noone is really going to have much of a comparison

- every site I worked at (3 in total) had broadband internet. The speed isnt great though in the evenings as 50+ staff try browsing through a residential internet line.

4) What is the average age group of the Workers their (group leaders and activity instructors) - Most instructors/group leaders are either pre-uni (18/19) or after uni (21/22) gap yearers. Seniors will be older and the centre mananger likely to be 40s.

5) Are we able to bring people who don't work there back to are house/room/shed/place where we live ? :colone: - Yes as long as they sign in with reception.

6) What sort of things do the staff do in their social time :colone: - Drink, watch tv, internet, games consoles, some of the activities.

9) How much free time would an AI/GL get per day (again roughly) - Instructors tend to work 9-5. The group leaders basically have their breaks when the kids are doing activites; so you'll work 7am-9am 12-1pm 5pm-9pm etc.

- Remember that you do the job because you enjoy it. The pay is terrible.. so youve got to enjoy it! Remember that the weeks/kids will totally fly past for you, but for the kids they will remember their week for years. The kitchen staff have the worst job on site, so be nice to them!

Also, I know the job is "AI/GL".. however most people tend to become one or the other after a few weeks on site. Have a think about which would suit you best and try to steer towards that. Personally I became an activity instructor specializing in abseiling.

wow thanks a lot for the reply, appreciate it :smile:

1 last thing. it states that you are required to submit your application with 3 references

as im 18 and still hvnt managed to get a job at all yet other than my head of 6th form and the old cubscout master that i used to help out at for 2 years i seriously cannot think of another. would it look bad if i were to, as a last resort use my form tutor as well as head of 6th form ?
I would say that would be fine as they are different people and your form tutor would know you quite well.

More tips for PGL:
*I went and made lots of friends for life, people from all over the UK (and sometimes the rest of the world) and I'm still in touch with loads of them.
*Think you will swap between being a GL one week and then an instructor the next week. You will have to do site duties which will mean picking litter, making beds up or sorting the lost property (yuk).
*Take any fancy dress stuff you have, always useful.
*Take your car if you have one.
*enjoy it, it goes so fast and you will wish you could return but not easy when you get a house family etc lol
Reply 4
Hi again,

Iv received and email explaining that PGL will start recruiting in November and that you need to include a 500 word mini essay as to why you are suitable to the role. Iv made a rough draft of one atm and I must say I feel that I sell myself pretty well (im 18yo male btw) e.g.

-Give blood once a month
-achieved a Distinction in Btec national sport in which I coached uninterested kids rugby which they enjoyed a lot
-Spent 2 years as a junior leader at my local cub scout pack from winter 2009 - summer 2010
-have a keen interest in sports having represented my school/collage in rugby and athletics

also my friend whos name id be putting down to share a room/shack type thing with coaches youths tennis regularly

realistically on a scale of 1-10 are we in with a decent shot at getting in

p.s is it true that if you want a tv in your room/shack type thing, that you musy get your own TV licence ? if so WTF is with that :s-smilie:

thanks
http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1va4z/PGLStaffInfoGuide201/resources/14.htm

This link above may help you.

Yep you do officially need a TV Licence but we never bothered to be honest and never got caught.

Yeah that should be fine but try to add some humour in there to show your personality.
Reply 6
ahh cool thanks for the leaflet :smile:
Original post by Reue

Hey there! I see you know loads about PGL.. I need some help in choosing between osmington bay, little canada and barton hall.. I wondered if you could help?

Which has the best work environment/facilities/social aspects.

I don't want to be stuck in the middle of no where if I want to go out etc. and I don't drive unfortunately..

Would be great to hear back from you.

Cheers!
Reply 8
Original post by chardurandy
Hey there! I see you know loads about PGL.. I need some help in choosing between osmington bay, little canada and barton hall.. I wondered if you could help?

Which has the best work environment/facilities/social aspects.

I don't want to be stuck in the middle of no where if I want to go out etc. and I don't drive unfortunately..

Would be great to hear back from you.

Cheers!

Couldn't tell you I'm afraid; I didn't go to any of those centres.
Hi I'm going to be working with one of the French centres..I've been told it's pretty much the same as the English ones. However I was wondering about days off? Are you allowed to leave when you finish for the day , the day before your day off? As I would like to go to Paris one of the nights too meet with some friends in the evening and was wondering if anyone has any advice about days off? If you have to spend the night before your day off at the centre?

Quick Reply

Latest