The Student Room Group

how many clothes should i bring to uni/how many clothes items do you have

how many items of clothing do you have in your closet (especialy girls)
and how many items of clothing will i need to bring to uni ( i prety much have to buy a whole new wardrobe

how much do you spend on clothing a year?
i am stuck too, and i am leaving in 2 weeks to the uk to stay with family before uni.
i am thinking 2 big bags which i can then fold really small at uni so they dont take up space.
i have like 5 pairs of jeans, 15 cardigans and 10 jumpers, a bunch of tops, 5 boots, some flats, trainers etc..
A set of pyjamas for bed and to wear during lectures
A set of old clothes for sports, working out etc...
A set of casual clothes for chilling, hanging out outside with mates
A set of quality clothes for special days/nights
A set of formal clothes for jobs, interviews etc...
I may have gone a little bit mad :blush: but I am taking:

-14 days worth of underwear (no washing for two weeks!)
-14 days worth of socks (see above)
-6 bras (different types for comfort!)
-4 pairs of thick tights (4 pairs so there's some spare, thick ones as I don't like low deniers)
-4 pairs of leggings (plain black leggings go with lots of things and are ideal if you just want to be comfy)
-2 pairs of long pyjama bottoms (great for coldish nights & covering up)
-2 pairs of short pyjama bottoms (great for hot nights and are breathable and easy to move in)
-2 x oversized white tshirts (to wear with pyjamas and most often works out cheaper)
-4 pairs of jeans (black, royal blue, ‘nude’ and grey) (different colours to make it diverse & coordinated)
-4 basic tshirts/vests (2 white, 2 black) (to go under shirts if you want to have them unbuttoned)
-10 tops (tshirts, shirts, cut offs) (different types, different occasions etc and some shirts can double as 'smart wear')
-4 jumpers (warm in the winter and great as comfy clothes, probably in black, white, red and cream)
-4 dresses (for freshers and other events, if you're careful you can get ones that can be dressed down during the day and dressed up at night, depends what you wear them with :smile:)
-2 skirts (just fun little outfits if you're into that sort of thing and can be paired with basics like a long sleeved white top or something like that)
-3 pairs of boots (black, grey and brown) (they look nice on your feet and colours will go with most things)
-4 pairs of dolly shoes (black, white then 2 of whatever I fancy when I go shopping)
-1 pair of flip flops (for shared bathrooms or even your own ensuite if you want to keep your feet clean without socks)
-3 pairs of heels (black, ‘nude’ and white) (basic colours will go with most dresses)
-6 coats (2 ‘quilted, 1 body warmer, a leather jacket, a ‘trench coat’ and a waterproof/parker) (quilted coats are really warm in the winter and waterproof, I already own two, body warmers are warm but not too hot and allow good movement still, leather jackets look nice with most dresses and are a bit 'jazzy', a 'trench coat' is light and long sleeved so good for warmer weather but still covered if you want and a lightweight waterproof is great for staying dry and also small and compact so easy to carry around uni and on transport such as trains/tubes)

*also, don't forget to take 'smarts' like black trousers if you're more comfortable in those as these are good for interviews and also take whatever fancy dress stuff you own as this may come in handy for social events and will save you having to go out and buy more! be creative and recycle the items ^^

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
If you struggle to decide, take a small amount but put some money aside to purchase some new clothes once you arrive :smile: I haven't really got many clothes anyway so I'll take most of mine, but I'm save some money up over the summer to make a few more purchases throughout the year as and when I see a top I like or find a hole in my tights etc
Reply 5
I'm planning on taking:
- 2 or 3 weeks worth of underwear so I don't have to wash as often
- all my jeans (about 15 pairs)
- all casual shoes (converse, trainers, flats etc) and one pair of smart & one pair of heels
- quite a few t-shirts/tops/cardigans
- couple of jumpers/ hoodies
- winter coat/leather jacket/parka
- like 3/4 skirts and 2 dresses
- pyjamas (2 or 3 pairs)

then I'll bring a bit of money (not much) in case I see something I like, and I'll do a bit of a swap (in terms of skirts and stuff) when I go home at holidays.

If you have anything that uses the apple App Store, the 'College Packing List' (was free, not sure now) is pretty useful for remembering random stuff that I would've forgotten and don't need to buy when I'm there, like wellies and a make-up type desk mirror.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending