Tips to treat eczema??

Watch
BanoffeePie94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I am new to the student room, hope this is the right place to post! I have bad eczema in patches around my face, under my eyes but worst on my eyelids. The doctor gave me eumovate ointment (it is a bit like Vaseline) but it has not really helped, and has not helped me in the long term. I have a good rich, plain moisturiser (I have quite dry skin) but this sometimes can still sting my worst eczema areas.

Does anyone have any tips on how to treat eczema?? Please reply if you do... A friend recently asked if I have been hit the eye... So I really want to sort this out!

Thank you!!
Trent23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sandpaper
Greyhoodie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you tried E45?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Last_Melon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moisturise a lot and get as much sunlight as you can, also reduce the amount of stress you're under.

File and trim your nails so that they are extremely short and smooth.
FrogInABog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have eczema myself, but several members of my family do, and there seem to be a couple of things we always have around for dealing with it, like Oilatum, E45, Unguentum M, Aqueous Cream, off the top of my head. The former is used in the bath, and the latter three are just general creams/ointments for helping with the dry and cracked skin. I don't know how many of these are prescription only, but they may be worth a look on the NHS website, or elsewhere.
qwerty1245
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh that stuff is so vile and greasy! Try not to wash the areas too much with soap as that'll dry it out and that's just the worst!
What works with me is to occasionally moisturize- the eumovate can dry it out and I agree it doesn't really work but before bed every other night or so add a fragrance-free moisturizer that's been tested and is suitable for sensitive skin- I was initially prescribed E45 (can be purchased from stores such as boots) however I was allergic to it so I was then prescribed 'Aveeno' and either are prescribed by doctors to help the eczema- Personally I was told to apply the moisturizer of a morning and use the eumovate of a night as it's greasy :3
Oh and a healthy diet can also apparently have an effect on it! ^_^
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BanoffeePie94)
Hi,
I am new to the student room, hope this is the right place to post! I have bad eczema in patches around my face, under my eyes but worst on my eyelids. The doctor gave me eumovate ointment (it is a bit like Vaseline) but it has not really helped, and has not helped me in the long term. I have a good rich, plain moisturiser (I have quite dry skin) but this sometimes can still sting my worst eczema areas.

Does anyone have any tips on how to treat eczema?? Please reply if you do... A friend recently asked if I have been hit the eye... So I really want to sort this out!

Thank you!!
I had it for a bit.............sometimes they give this cream with steroid but should be used very lightly, it basically rips of the layer of skin which is peeling. And if you do it correctly and you can only use it for a week before waiting another..............it will reduce it a lot and simply keep it moisturised.
BallonD'or
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The eumovate ointment doesn't really do much. Some people suffer from eczema more than others. You need to be prescribed with something stronger. I would go back to your doctor, tell him that the cream he's prescribed you with does nothing and ask him to prescribe you with a steroid cream. You wont be able to buy these steroid cremes in the pharmacy without a prescription so you have to go back to your doctor.
Tubis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to my doctor in regards to the same problem! i put a cream with E vitamins all over my face and the next day my eyelids were red, itchy, puffy etc. she gave me this strong cream and 2 weeks afterwards when i went to see her again she gave me a weaker cream called Doublebase Gel (isopropyl myristate 15% w/w, liquid paraffin 15% w/w) it works like magic! i used e45 and many other products and none of them seemed to work but with this gel my skin is soft as never before and the eczema is reduced to minimum. i use it 3-4 times a day, ask your doctor for it!
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Thank you!!
Aveeno.

Please try it. I had really bad eczema for years and years, on varying places such as my back, arms, chest, neck, wrists, hands. I tried everything, Oilatum, bio oil, E45, Eumovate ... the most these products would do was moisturise it and make it less itchy, but they never actually got rid of it.

Then I tried Aveeno cream. :love: Worked like a dream! http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...-Beauty+-+PLAs

My eczema is more or less gone after using that
BanoffeePie94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Aveeno.

Please try it. I had really bad eczema for years and years, on varying places such as my back, arms, chest, neck, wrists, hands. I tried everything, Oilatum, bio oil, E45, Eumovate ... the most these products would do was moisturise it and make it less itchy, but they never actually got rid of it.

Then I tried Aveeno cream. :love: Worked like a dream! http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...-Beauty+-+PLAs

Thank you! I have never heard of that before but I will definitely try it
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
Thank you! I have never heard of that before but I will definitely try it
No probs, I really recommend it! Obviously it might not work for everyone, but it was like a miracle for me and I've heard good reviews about it from other people as well
Good luck
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the end it all comes down to self control. Benzoate cream helps though.
Psyc_Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to the doctors the other day as i have it on my hands which makes it uncomfortable to write and they gave me a steroid cream which i can only use for a week but after about 3 days it was practically gone! Try and get a steroid cream prescribed by your doctor, it really helped me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username975836
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use diprobase after every shower and when a flare up occurs use clobetasone butyrate ointment every day for 4-5 days. You'll have to get a prescription for the latter.
CambEcon2015
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Aveeno.

If I could rep you I would! Aveeno is literally the only thing that works for me, it's fab
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Persevere with the moisturising lotions - I personally argue that this is the most important factor in treating eczema (it's easier to soak steroid creams into moisturised skin but being ready for flare-ups means having skin constantly moisturised). Get the lotion on immediately after showers/baths - steamy warmth opens up the pores which in turn gives you a window to replace the moisture lost through heat. Sunshine definitely helps and it's said that cutting back on dairy products can yield improvements (I can't vouch for it though).

Ditch polyester items - bedsheets and clothing - in favour of cotton. Consider using the palm of your hand to mix a little bit of the steroid cream (or the ointment that you have) into the moisturising lotion so you can spread the whole lot thinly and efficiently. It's not really my place to say, but if there's an opportunity to have a day away from makeup and perfumes (if you're staying in) I'd think about taking it - let the skin have a day off to air out and breathe.

If you end up going up a level with the steroid strength, be careful with the skin on your face.
The_Last_Melon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Epaderm is a good moisturiser as it lasts quite long and isn't as shiny as doublebase, however it does feel more greasy.
The_Last_Melon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Entangled)
Persevere with the moisturising lotions - I personally argue that this is the most important factor in treating eczema (it's easier to soak steroid creams into moisturised skin but being ready for flare-ups means having skin constantly moisturised). Get the lotion on immediately after showers/baths - steamy warmth opens up the pores which in turn gives you a window to replace the moisture lost through heat. Sunshine definitely helps and it's said that cutting back on dairy products can yield improvements (I can't vouch for it though).

Ditch polyester items - bedsheets and clothing - in favour of cotton. Consider using the palm of your hand to mix a little bit of the steroid cream (or the ointment that you have) into the moisturising lotion so you can spread the whole lot thinly and efficiently. It's not really my place to say, but if there's an opportunity to have a day away from makeup and perfumes (if you're staying in) I'd think about taking it - let the skin have a day off to air out and breathe.

If you end up going up a level with the steroid strength, be careful with the skin on your face.
They thin your skin which means the next scratch is increibly damaging. I don't trust my doctors after they encouraged me to take these. They do heal it remarkably fast when it is very bad though.
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Last_Melon)
They thin your skin which means the next scratch is increibly damaging. I don't trust my doctors after they encouraged me to take these. They do heal it remarkably fast when it is very bad though.
They are first line anti-inflammatory treatments. In theory, you'll only be using them when the anti-inflammatory benefit outweighs the risk of skin thinning and breakdown. Moisturising constantly to keep the skin in supple condition is massively important; using steroids at the right time and in the right way is also integral to the treatment.

My point is: don't overdo it on the steroid front; especially not on the face.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.67%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.95%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (169)
41.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.96%

Watched Threads