LL.M at 'top tier' Unis? Watch

itneverends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello!

So I've just finished the first year of an Accelerated Route LL.B with an average of 64%. I'm at the University of South Wales (a so-called 'lower tier' university) and this is my first degree. I am hoping to apply to the Public Law LL.Ms at LSE, UCL, Bristol, QMUL and the general LL.Ms at Warwick and Birmingham. I achieved 69% in Public law this year (66% in assignment, 71% in exam). Realistically, what are my chances with LSE and UCL. I adore the modules they have to offer and would love to go there but don't want to waste my time writing two personal statements if I have no real chance and could spend more time on other uni applications.

Any help would be very gratefully received!
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have as much chance as anyone else with grades which meet the minimum requirement (I'm assuming they're all asking for a 2.1 here?), along with good personal statement and references. The uni you came from doesn't matter, if that's your main concern.
itneverends
Rep:
?
(Original post by aeterno)
You have as much chance as anyone else with grades which meet the minimum requirement (I'm assuming they're all asking for a 2.1 here?), along with good personal statement and references. The uni you came from doesn't matter, if that's your main concern.

Well my concerns were:
UCL and LSE both want high 2.1s, or first class degrees. Since I only got an average of 64% I didn't know if they would see that as a lack of evidence of high 2.1 / first class potential?

And yeah, I guess my current university was also perhaps a cause for concern. I'm not sure if it would get taken as seriously as an application from a Russell Group uni
aeterno
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by itneverends)
Well my concerns were:
UCL and LSE both want high 2.1s, or first class degrees. Since I only got an average of 64% I didn't know if they would see that as a lack of evidence of high 2.1 / first class potential?

And yeah, I guess my current university was also perhaps a cause for concern. I'm not sure if it would get taken as seriously as an application from a Russell Group uni
I see, well considering you've got a high 2.1 in the subject which is relevant to your LLM that should help you somewhat (they'll see your transcripts) and if you have the potential to get a high 2.1 overall and your referees can indicate that, you're not completely out of the running. They can still give you an offer. Best to just go ahead and apply - you've got nothing to lose (except perhaps the application fee!)

As for not being from an RG uni - neither was I but all the unis I applied to for an MA were and all gave me offers - and many people have gone down this road and succeeded!
itneverends
Rep:
?
(Original post by aeterno)
I see, well considering you've got a high 2.1 in the subject which is relevant to your LLM that should help you somewhat (they'll see your transcripts) and if you have the potential to get a high 2.1 overall and your referees can indicate that, you're not completely out of the running. They can still give you an offer. Best to just go ahead and apply - you've got nothing to lose (except perhaps the application fee!)

As for not being from an RG uni - neither was I but all the unis I applied to for an MA were and all gave me offers - and many people have gone down this road and succeeded!
Cool. Thanks for the advice!
aeterno
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cool. Thanks for the advice!
No problem. Good luck!
maskofsanity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well my concerns were:

In that case, take a year out after final year and apply for Master's the following year when you have your high 2.1/First in hand.
law01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maskofsanity)
In that case, take a year out after final year and apply for Master's the following year when you have your high 2.1/First in hand.
hi, i know it's been a while since you posted this but, out of interest did you apply after all?

Both UCL and LSE ask for a 2:1 around 65%! Also, in respect to your university, honestly no one cares, even though many try to discourage people from lower tier universities they are clueless! A 1st from your university counts the same as a 1st from cambridge! A friend of mine studies his LLB at a very low tier university in the uk and next year he will be doing his PHD in harvard!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.75%
Excited (123)
8.26%
Worried (279)
18.72%
Terrified (343)
23.02%
Meh (123)
8.26%
Confused (35)
2.35%