Driving Tests - do they test your true driving ability? Watch

This discussion is closed.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i have taken the test 4 times and have failed all 4.... i'm finding it really hard to pass, don't know if any of you are in the same boat as me.......
let me add that on three tests they were for one or two serious faults

feel free to contribute
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DazYa13)
i have taken the test 4 times and have failed all 4.... i'm finding it really hard to pass, don't know if any of you are in the same boat as me.......

feel free to contribute
They test about 40% ability and 60% luck. Thats my opinion anyway.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

feel free to contribute
driving tests show about 60%of your driving ability i reecond
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
They test about 40% ability and 60% luck. Thats my opinion anyway.
It helps to get really chatty with your examiner at the start of the test, that's in my experience anyway!
Leeroy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh its mostly luck.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

feel free to contribute
maybe you're a bad driver. don't worry though, public transport is quite good nowadays.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think they are a lottery i think the test should be more rigorous on general driving and be longer. I know so many boy racers who passed first time and are complete nutters and loads of good drivers who failed first time.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
maybe you're a bad driver. don't worry though, public transport is quite good nowadays.
maybe you're right,,,, but i can ride a motocross bike like no other
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think you make your own luck. I passed after 10 lessons with one minor - its a matter of chance really, as I got the right manoeuvres.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
one minor? that was really good, i am impressed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes they do.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was surprised myself!
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
what i dislike about it , is the way that it is assessed....
16 minors - fail, no problem with that
1 serious - you fail, i think it should be 3 serious faults than 1
1 danger - you fail, agreed.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I couldnt do a parallel park to save my life the week before my test, did 2 out of about 30 attempts.

In my test he parked me up and said Id like you to do a parallel park around the car in front. As i pulled up (nervously) to the car, he said "actually its too busy here" and took me to a piece easy smooth corner to reverse around.

On the otherside a friend of mine who had the same instructor, was a better driver, got cut up by a lorry on a roundabout, and he panicked and left the roundabout without a signalling, and subsequently failed.

.... its mostly luck
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
interesting... has been playing on my mind the whole of today, oh well, gota keep trying
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what i dislike about it , is the way that it is assessed....
16 minors - fail, no problem with that
1 serious - you fail, i think it should be 3 serious faults than 1
1 danger - you fail, agreed.
Sorry? 3 serious faults? Are you having a bloody laugh.

A serious fault is something like pulling out infront of someone, speeding, hitting the curb, etc - all of which are DANGEROUS.

The driving test is fine, failing 4 tests its likely that you are just a bad driver..
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)

A serious fault is something like pulling out infront of someone, speeding, hitting the curb, etc - all of which are DANGEROUS.

The driving test is fine, failing 4 tests its likely that you are just a bad driver..
i got a serious for using the van infront of me to protect me ( keeping behind him ) when it was a bit of a tight squeeze
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i got a serious for using the van infront of me to protect me ( keeping behind him ) when it was a bit of a tight squeeze
Explain better
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
cars parked either side of the road, real tight fit, therefore cars that i was approaching, were waiting behind parked cars, ready to move off,....

well there was a van infront and instead of keeping back and assessing the situation, i sped up to keep behind him for protection....
i.e. if a huge great big lorry is infront of you, you're going to use your instincts and keep close behind him because you know he will protect you
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)

I got a serious fault for stalling at a junction (I didnt overshoot the junction or anything I just stalled instead of moving off) even though I had the car back under control and restarted straight away. He said it was because I would have aggravated the traffic behind me.

My friend got a serious for not noticing for about 2 seconds that the traffic light had changed to green because it was one of those ones with the turn left arrow that goes green whilst the red light is still on. She didnt even have traffic behind us.

I know someone else who took their test in another area who stalled 5 times on their turn in the road and tapped the kerb and she passed. As I said before its a lottery!
I also know someone who told me they clipped someones side mirror and still passed.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%