The Student Room Group

Female tennis players out of shape!

I do always wonder with the female players, why they aren't in better shape. If I was a professional athlete I wold want to be in the best shape possible. No wonder the female tour is pretty crap when the players never look in great shape.

No wonder Serena Williams finds it so easy when she looks like this

So why don't the other female players get in the best possible shape? Is it through wanting to still look 'womanly'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SciFiRory
:facepalm2:

awful awful thread, so you are in better shape then these professional athletes are you?

this is just disgustingly misogynistic and crass as a thread, I really hope this is just a very bad attempt at humour on your part.

What does the OP's shape have to do with this?

It's an interesting point he's raised, out of all the female players I can recall, Williams is the only one with the body of a professional athlete.
Reply 2
Original post by Rooster523

It's an interesting point he's raised, out of all the female players I can recall, Williams is the only one with the body of a professional athlete.

it's an absurd comment, they aren't out of shape at all, he's just bitching that they don't all look muscular or insanely thin, they are still incredibly fit and playing a top sport and the highest level, it's making a point that doesn't exist because of prejudice over how you and he think women who play professional sports should look.
Reply 3

awful awful thread, so you are in better shape then these professional athletes are you?

this is just disgustingly misogynistic and crass as a thread, I really hope this is just a very bad attempt at humour on your part.

Did you read anything other than the title before you posted that?
Reply 4
Original post by justinawe
Did you read anything other than the title before you posted that?

well duh, though there wasn't much else to read...which says a lot in of itself.
Reply 5
well duh, though there wasn't much else to read...which says a lot in of itself.

he said, why is it that athletes look like the first people. that's why dench people like serena williams has such an easy time owning them.

nothing misogyny there, it's a valid point. a body like that is not what you expect from a professional athelete

He never said that, what a stupid comment :facepalm2:

I really hope this is just a very bad attempt at humour on your part.
Reply 7
Original post by bottled
he said, why is it that athletes look like the first people. that's why dench people like serena williams has such an easy time owning them.

nothing misogyny there, it's a valid point. a body like that is not what you expect from a professional athelete

so what if they look like that? it's a sport not a modelling contest ffs. and they don't always, she's been beaten by several players in her career.

it's a stupid point based on his shallow views of their appearances...it has nothing to do with how fit they actually are and what you expect of them is frankly irrelevant as again, they are playing a sport not modelling for what you think they should look like.

Original post by manchesterunited15
He never said that, what a stupid comment :facepalm2:

I really hope this is just a very bad attempt at humour on your part.

read the above and get a grip.

As an athlete that relies on running/cardiovascular you would expect them to have a lower body fat than the picture.
(edited 10 years ago)

It's not "disgustingly misogynistic", it's a valid point. Why would athletes who spend their whole lives striving to be the best, not make their bodies the very strongest they can be when having a stronger body is clearly an advantageous attritbute. this isn't about physical appearance, but the physique.
Original post by Phillipsherman

As an athlete that relies on running/cardiovascular you would expect them to have a lower body fat than the picture.

:rolleyes:

oh and you have a body fat detector from pictures alone do you? get a grip, they don't have to look like a body builder or whatever to be in shape and good at their sport. it's like suggesting Andy Murray doesn't win more because he isn't anorexic or something, it's a stupid argument based solely on your own stupid misconceptions about what female sports people should look like.
Original post by AspiringGenius
It's not "disgustingly misogynistic", it's a valid point. Why would athletes who spend their whole lives striving to be the best, not make their bodies the very strongest they can be when having a stronger body is clearly an advantageous attritbute. this isn't about physical appearance, but the physique.

you can't read can you? they don't have to look a certain way to be in shape or whatever.
(edited 10 years ago)
so what if they look like that? it's a sport not a modelling contest ffs. and they don't always, she's been beaten by several players in her career.

it's a stupid point based on his shallow views of their appearances...it has nothing to do with how fit they actually are and what you expect of them is frankly irrelevant as again, they are playing a sport not modelling for what you think they should look like.

read the above and get a grip.

You're so clueless :rofl:

Yes Serena has been beaten, obviously. Doesn't change the fact that she will walk to the Wimbledon title because of her superior physical ability.

Stop being so sanctimonious and get a life.
Reply 13
Women do have a harder time building muscle than men due to lower levels of testosterone. And basically all of the women I saw participating in the olympics seemed pretty in shape with 6 pack abs etc. I doubt its lack of trying though. To get to those top positions, you would need years of training and if your up there with the top 10 female tennis players, then the last thing on your mind would be, 'I think I should stop training as much because i'm starting to look unwomanly'.

But I don't really know the answer to your question.
You're so clueless :rofl:

Yes Serena has been beaten, obviously. Doesn't change the fact that she will walk to the Wimbledon title because of her superior physical ability.

Stop being so sanctimonious and get a life.

nope, that's you.

utter nonsense, also not the point the OP made, he doesn't mention physical ability at all, neither did you till now, you have focused solely on what they look like which doesn't necessarily affect physical ability one way or another.

stop defending misogyny and get a life.
you idiots can't read can you? they don't have to look a certain way to be in shape or whatever.

You're seriously suggesting that a superior physique will not help athletes to compete? :facepalm:
nope, that's you.

utter nonsense, also not the point the OP made, he doesn't mention physical ability at all, neither did you till now, you have focused solely on what they look like which doesn't necessarily affect physical ability one way or another.

stop defending misogyny and get a life.

Physical ability is clearly related to physical appearance (of the body, not the face).
You're seriously suggesting that a superior physique will not help athletes to compete? :facepalm:

Physical ability is clearly related to physical appearance (of the body, not the face).

not necessarily, you can have good physical ability without looking a certain way, just because you can't understand that isn't my fault...

Wayne Rooney and Brazilian Ronaldo are both big guys but still quality footballers for instance.
Genuinely asking, what sort of body types are top female tennis players supposed to have? I assume the ideal body type for tennis would be lean and slightly muscular for eg, Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka?
Original post by Rooster523

Sam Stosur. Lost to Lisciki, who looks quite a bit like Kvitova.
Serena has the scariest (and best) serve I've ever seen, and quite a lot of her success will come because she's very strong. But it's not the be all and end all, or Stosur would be number 2 in the world and Sharapova wouldn't have won 4 slams.

You do see the same sort of pattern in the men's game as well though. Nadal is an amazing player, but Jim Courier pointed out in the French that the level of muscle he has makes him great but also heavier, putting extra strain on his knees compared to the lean muscle of Djokovic and Federer - and he also said that Djokovic has the perfect physique for a tennis player.

Quick Reply

Latest