The Student Room Group

Missing a week of uni?

I'm going into my 1st year of university this September, and I'm planning to take a week off to go travelling for personal reasons (don't ask what it is- let's just say that it's REALLY important). I was wondering if this might be a problem with proffesors. How hard would it be to make stuff up?

Scroll to see replies

Depends what course you're doing, whether they take attendance, and whether or not they consider it a problem if you don't turn up. On my course it was pretty unlikely that they'd even notice and even less likely that they'd care, but then if you're doing something like medicine I imagine it would be more of an issue.
As above, it depends on the course. I'm doing chemistry and each week we have labs. If you weren't to turn up for one of your labs, you may be considered incomplete in that aspect and therefore not be able to pass 1st year.
Reply 3
I'm doing physics and philosophy.
would there be absolutely no exemptions or make ups? even if I let them know months in advance?
Reply 4
Original post by towels
would there be absolutely no exemptions or make ups? even if I let them know months in advance?

you'd probally have labs for physics then which you'd need to attend- and only for illness or family bereavement. you have half the year off to go travelling,
Reply 5
you have half the year off to go travelling

I need this specific week for a reason :/
Reply 6
Original post by towels
I need this specific week for a reason :/

unfortunatley unless its to visit a dying relative or will benefit you educationally then its very unlikely to be accepted as a valid reason
Reply 7
This personal reason wouldn't have to do with a girl, would it?
Reply 8
This personal reason wouldn't have to do with a girl, would it?

LOL no :rolleyes: like I said, my reason is actually IMPORTANT :tongue:
We can't say without knowing what that reason is, and if you can't give the reason to your professors etc then they will almost certainly not allow it. As said above, some unis/courses might not care/notice if you disappeared for a week, but quite a lot would.
What could be important enough to miss a week of uni for that can be planned months ahead? "Travelling" does not cut the mustard
Physics will probably require lab sessions which must be completed. In engineering we did a lab every couple of weeks and it was worth about 20% of 40% of the module.

You could feasibly miss one, and they may allow you to re-sit later in the year (people missed or were badly timetabled for labs for us), but it's not advised. You will miss a lot of other content. That said, the first year is typically worth little, or nothing, towards the final degree.

Just don't make it a common occurrence. If it's important, tell your tutor and try to gain exceptions. If it's a novel purpose, reconsider why you're going to university just to miss weeks off.
Reply 12
I can tell my proffessors the reason. I just didn't want to state it here, because I was afraid of trolling if I brought it up :s-smilie:
It's basically a religious reason. I really have to go. As in, even if they don't let me, I'll still go. (Just take my word for it- don't try to convince me otherwise, I'm not going to get into details here).
But I'ld really rather not get on their bad side and allow this to go as smoothly as possible without any problems. So I was wondering if they would mind or not.
Original post by towels
I can tell my proffessors the reason. I just didn't want to state it here, because I was afraid of trolling if I brought it up :s-smilie:
It's basically a religious reason. I really have to go. As in, even if they don't let me, I'll still go. (Just take my word for it- don't try to convince me otherwise, I'm not going to get into details here).
But I'ld really rather not get on their bad side and allow this to go as smoothly as possible without any problems. So I was wondering if they would mind or not.

are you muslim and wanting to go on the hajj? if so they may have sympathies (with fear of being branded anti muslim) as long as you don't miss coursework deadlines e.c.t
Reply 14
(with fear of being branded anti muslim)

.... that's just awful :frown:

I am Muslim, but it's not Hajj. I could go to Hajj after uni if I wanted (which I probably will :smile: InshAllah). I'm referring to something I must go to next year.
Original post by towels
.... that's just awful :frown:

I am Muslim, but it's not Hajj. I could go to Hajj after uni if I wanted (which I probably will :smile: InshAllah). I'm referring to something I must go to next year.

well most professors probally think that you shouldn't be missing any time out of uni unless your ill given how long the holidays are (for most courses) but can't complain about time taken off for religious reasons. so if it is for religious reasons then they might allow it.
be aware though that if they do say no and you do miss labs or attendance is taken (some unis are more strict about attendance in lectures than others) then you could be missing a certain mark towards your first year or face questions about your attendance.
(edited 10 years ago)
If it's booked before term started then you can get extenuating circumstances if not your screwed but it sounds like it's already been planned so you should be alright
Reply 17
Since its for religious reasons I'm sure they won't mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by towels
I'm going into my 1st year of university this September, and I'm planning to take a week off to go travelling for personal reasons (don't ask what it is- let's just say that it's REALLY important). I was wondering if this might be a problem with proffesors. How hard would it be to make stuff up?

Why don't you email the heads of the schools of Philosophy and Physics and ask them? They are going to be much better help than a random internet forum where we don't really know the exact reason or the University you are going to.
Reply 19
Original post by towels

What uni are you going to be going to? At my uni we get registered in lectures with a little dibber thing we have for our physics lectures. Will your first week not be freshers week or you going to be going after that?

I'd personally advice you not to go in your first week since that's when everyone will make friends and make their social groups but if its important then you have no choice. Best thing you can do is just email your lecturers.

Quick Reply

Latest