The Student Room Group

The big en-suite v shared bathroom FAQ

Scroll to see replies

All the rooms at my uni are ensuite so i do not have to make my own mind up :smile:
However after living in various house shares over the last few years i cannot wait for a year spent with my own bathroom. As no matter who i lived with there was always one or two people who would never clean the toilet, and that gets on your nerves after a while!
I've gone for shared bathroom for a few reasons - the first being the extra 700ish quid I'll be keeping in my pocket over the year! I'm also a seasonaire so sharing bathrooms with people you don't really know is not new to me. So long as you agree on basic rules, there shouldn't be a problem with it in my opinion!
I personally paid a little extra and went for a room with an ensuite, I've had to share plenty of bathrooms on various travels (not always pleasant) and tbh would just prefer my own for my first year, I'm totally up for sharing a bathroom with others it's just a bit iffy when you don't know the people you're going to share with and whether their level of cleanliness and hygiene is something you don't mind dealing with aka if they're messier than you'd like them to be! :smile:
The BIG question you want to ask is who will be doing the cleaning?

In my first year, the shared bathrooms were cleaned spotless every morning by a lovely old lady, whilst the people in ensuites next door had to clean their own facilities.

As I'm sure you can imagine, after a while they were very jealous of our sparkling clean facilities.

If there is a cleaner included in the cost, I would definitely recommend picking shared facilities.
What do you do about toiletries- do you keep them all in a big washbag and take it with you each time?

What about after showering etc do people normally get changed in the bathrooms before heading back to their room or is it the norm to walk around in a towel?
Most people will just walk to and from their room in a towel, or a bath robe/dressing gown.

Personally I use the smallest towel availible that barely even wraps around me and stand in the bathroom brushing my teeth ... I like making people feel uncomfortable.
I am so glad I went for en-suite in my halls. I'd rather pay £20 a week extra and have my own bathroom than run the risk of being with people who don't clean up after themselves. Even though I'm only sharing with another 3 people, I would've hated sharing a bathroom with strangers as you risk them being messy and having (extremely) bad habits as mine currently do!
I do go on nights out but my flatmates went to extremes on Freshers week and were sick practically every night, NOT something I'd have liked to share a bathroom with.
An en-suite isn't a practical option for everyone living in halls but I would certainly recommend it if you have the option, even if it means not saving that extra £20 a week :smile:
En-suite is going to cost me less than £20 extra a week if I get into where I want and I really don't mind paying it. Maybe if I was a little younger, I'd go for it but I'll be 23 when I'm starting uni and don't want to be sharing a bathroom with 18 year olds. Knowing my luck, I'd be stuck with the ones who have had everything done for them/don't clean up after themselves. I don't think preferring an en-suite is really that big of a deal unless it's costing a lot more p/week than shared.
Personally ensuite it is for me as it removes some of the awkward moments of sharing a bathroom and shower. Also no matter what type of accommodation you choose, this article may help you to fit in better at your university accommodation:
http://www.alma-student.com/articles/2015/2/24/the-dos-and-donts-of-living-at-university-accommodation
I chose to go with an ensuite when i go in september at £117 a week. Mainly because i dont want to share something with people who dont clean up after themselves and i dont know when the last time they washed... it was about 10 quid extra than a shared so why not have a bit of luxury for one year. i also chose to live further away from uni so i got a cheaper room. plus the rooms look larger than those based on campus. And to those saying it'll be annoying to walk everyday, i dont care, i walk most places now so it wont make a difference.
Original post by Jay018
I chose to go with an ensuite when i go in september at £117 a week. Mainly because i dont want to share something with people who dont clean up after themselves and i dont know when the last time they washed... it was about 10 quid extra than a shared so why not have a bit of luxury for one year. i also chose to live further away from uni so i got a cheaper room. plus the rooms look larger than those based on campus. And to those saying it'll be annoying to walk everyday, i dont care, i walk most places now so it wont make a difference.

You d be sharing a kitchen so doesn't completely get rid of the messy people. I was happy to share a bathroom to save £100+ a term which paid for 5 weeks worth of food really but each to their own.
Original post by claireestelle
You d be sharing a kitchen so doesn't completely get rid of the messy people. I was happy to share a bathroom to save £100+ a term which paid for 5 weeks worth of food really but each to their own.

I can live with a messy kitchen as at home the kitchen can get pretty messy. But people will soon learn about a messy kitchen and mouldy plates and so on.

Even with paying for an en suite, i'll still have enough to be buying food each week, especially when im going to be batch cooking.
Original post by Jay018
I can live with a messy kitchen as at home the kitchen can get pretty messy. But people will soon learn about a messy kitchen and mouldy plates and so on.

Even with paying for an en suite, i'll still have enough to be buying food each week, especially when im going to be batch cooking.

Theyll learn but whether they change or not is a different thing, i lived with messy 3rd years:tongue:
Reply 33
If you are unsure about what accommodation to go for check out StudentCrowd https://www.studentcrowd.com/?ref=AY
I found the website really useful!
I can not cope with sharing a bathroom with people I don't know I know is sounds stuck up but it is a pet hate and plus I have had to share a bathroom with 4 older brothers and my dad and with me being the only girl in the house this has really got on my nerves. if I was just living with just girls I wouldn't mind it so much the accommodation is unisex so my dad has offered to pay there extra for me to have my own bathroom :smile:
For my first year (this year) I've been living in a flat of 5 (3 of us now though as two left over Christmas) and to be frank, I'am very glad I chose en-suite. £110 a week, admittedly for what I got it is expensive but not having an en-suite after my experience this year makes me glad I did opt for one. My flatmates, all of them are the most lazy people I've ever met. Just can't wait for next year, to live in a house with some fantastic people on my course.
Definitely go for en-suite.
I made the wrong choice for living in a flat of 10 students with 2 shared bathrooms. It's been 3 months and I literally have cleaned other people's pee, poo, pubes, and other gross things I saw in the tub/WC. The disaster is REAL.
Now I have to beg my landlord to transfer me to an en-suite room and I hope there is still a spare one.
For your health, choose the en-suite one.
Biggest fear is someone hearing/smelling my poop.
Original post by Mary1708
Definitely go for en-suite.
I made the wrong choice for living in a flat of 10 students with 2 shared bathrooms. It's been 3 months and I literally have cleaned other people's pee, poo, pubes, and other gross things I saw in the tub/WC. The disaster is REAL.
Now I have to beg my landlord to transfer me to an en-suite room and I hope there is still a spare one.
For your health, choose the en-suite one.

what uni is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending