The Student Room Group

Doing a year abroad as mature student?

I'm 27 years old right now, and about to start an art foundations course. I would like to do a year abroad or maybe just for a term before the end of my degree. Does this sound like a stupid idea? Has anyone done it? It would take me longer to graduate (I assume), and it isn't as if I couldn't go and visit foreign countries after I graduate. I guess there is no need to do it as a student. Since I am not exactly as green as an 18 or 19 year old, I wonder if being at an older age when studying abroad might lessen some of its charm... any thoughts?
I think if studying abroad is something you really want to do and it's built into part of your course, then why not do it? I don't think being a mature student should make a difference :smile:, plus living/studying in a country is different to visiting it on holiday, if the opportunity is there then I'd take it. The course I'm looking at is a sandwich course and the year in industry could maybe be done abroad - if I can afford it, I'll defo try and go abroad!
Reply 2
Something I've been pondering lately - I'd love to do the study abroad year as I love travelling, but exactly how does one go about funding it? I assume I'll be living off of student and maintenance loans, so it just doesn't seem possible to go travelling.
Reply 3
I'm doing a year abroad with my degree at a uni in the US. It's going to be funded by loans and grants. People go travelling at all ages, il be 27 when I go and can't wait. I may never get an opportunity like it again. I know in America it's not uncommon to find people at uni in their mid to late twenties. Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 4
Some universities have links to others abroad, I hope to do Earth Science next year, I'll be 33, and they have the option to study abroad for a year and list all the universities with degree curriculums close enough to match Glasgow's, if its anything other than and English speaking country, I believe they expect you to be fairly fluent in the local lingo, which makes sense, you can't study if you don't understand the language.

for the US, OZ, NZ and Canada, and possibly even Singapore (Glasgow Uni have a campus in Singapore), then English is enough.

The uni you plan to join will have info regarding the possibility of study a year of your degree abroad on their website.

and even at 33 with a 2 year old, we (me and my Partner) would consider it, would be a great little education for my wee boy also. And my partner should be able to get a transfer abroad with her company for a year.
The degree I am applying to do includes a compulsory year abroad (in Norway), even though I will be a bit older than most students I am looking forward to it. Someone told me once the average age of students in many European countries is higher than the UK so you won’t appear abnormal just for being older.

Original post by Frankston
Something I've been pondering lately - I'd love to do the study abroad year as I love travelling, but exactly how does one go about funding it? I assume I'll be living off of student and maintenance loans, so it just doesn't seem possible to go travelling.

If you study abroad in Europe I think you just pay an extra year of university fees (which your student loan covers), and I think the EU gives you a grant for living costs. I know a lot of people who have gone to various European countries who did not speak a word of the language, so that doesn't appear to be a requirement.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending