The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend any good astronomy/astrophysics books?

Hi, I'm currently in my summer after GCSE before I start A level and I am really interested in astronomy, I have a telescope, a few books and so on. Does anyone have any suggestions on astronomy/astrophysics, not just to help be locate around the nights sky but to learn in detail about the universe. So far I have:
Wonders of the universe - Brian Cox
Wonders of the solar system - Brian Cox
Wonders of life - Brian Cox
Tweeting the universe
50 universe ideas you really need to know - Joanne Baker
Tweeting the universe - Marcus Chown and Govert Schilling
I also get the magazines 'All about Space' and 'National Geographic' monthly.

Obviously I'm not an expert in this subject and don't want anything too difficult. But I enjoy the subject and have learnt lots already so nothing too simple!!

Any suggestions on:
- Books
- Telescopes
- Binoculars
- anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan is incredible, and definitely worth checking out.

For that matter, Cosmon the TV series with Sagan as presenter is a definite if you're interested in astronomy. It is rated 9.6 on imdb and is widely regarded as one of the greatest TV series ever made. I'm sure Brian Cox is on record as saying that it is Cosmos and Sagan himself that sparked his interested in astronomy :smile:

The series was made in 1980 so the effects are a little dated but it's still mindblowing. The accompanying book is definitely recommended too :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Spiderman
'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan is incredible, and definitely worth checking out.

For that matter, Cosmon the TV series with Sagan as presenter is a definite if you're interested in astronomy. It is rated 9.6 on imdb and is widely regarded as one of the greatest TV series ever made. I'm sure Brian Cox is on record as saying that it is Cosmos and Sagan himself that sparked his interested in astronomy :smile:

The series was made in 1980 so the effects are a little dated but it's still mindblowing. The accompanying book is definitely recommended too :smile:

Thank you, it's ordered on amazon!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Try A Brief History of Time by Hawking fir something more physicsy.
Reply 4
Original post by Anon2.5
Hi, I'm currently in my summer after GCSE before I start A level and I am really interested in astronomy, I have a telescope, a few books and so on. Does anyone have any suggestions on astronomy/astrophysics, not just to help be locate around the nights sky but to learn in detail about the universe. So far I have:
Wonders of the universe - Brian Cox
Wonders of the solar system - Brian Cox
Wonders of life - Brian Cox
Tweeting the universe
50 universe ideas you really need to know - Joanne Baker
Tweeting the universe - Marcus Chown and Govert Schilling
I also get the magazines 'All about Space' and 'National Geographic' monthly.

Obviously I'm not an expert in this subject and don't want anything too difficult. But I enjoy the subject and have learnt lots already so nothing too simple!!

Any suggestions on:
- Books
- Telescopes
- Binoculars
- anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to take Astrophysics at uni, so I know how your passion feels. :yep:

How big is your telescope's aperture? Mine is 6 inch. :sexface:

Subscribe to my youtube channel and watch my existing videos! :h: http://www.youtube.com/user/astrolekker
I plan to make many more during the summer. :woo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Why does e=mc^2? Though this leans a bit more towards matter, energy etc.
Reply 6
Original post by boumavilla
I'm going to take Astrophysics at uni, so I know how your passion feels. :yep:

How big is your telescope's aperture? Mine is 6 inch. :sexface:

Subscribe to my youtube channel and watch my existing videos! :h: http://www.youtube.com/user/astrolekker
I plan to make many more during the summer. :woo:

It's only 5 inch, but I'm saving up for a new reflector. Okay yeah sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
A little of topic but my god, i'm excited

Reply 8
I have a massive interest in astronomy too and I have most of those books you have mentioned already, but here are some I have as well: Haynes astronomy manual, stargazing for beginners, and I also by the sky at night magazine each month. What type of telescope do you have? I have a 5 inch reflector, which has been wonderful, I have seen a lot with it. waiting for autumn and winter now, my favourite time of year for stargazing
Reply 9
Well books wise - astrophysics brian cox - why does E=mc^2 is an amazing read. I'm half way through it. Also I'd reccomend anything Patrick Moore - his books are amazing - particularly his yearbook. Also Brian Cox the quantum universe - I haven't read it yet, but I bought it and it looks good. If you want astrophysics then Stephen Hawkins does some great books - on time and other such topics. Have a pop on amazon and just take a look at all his great books.

In terms of binoculars I got myself a pair in March. Celestron ones - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-Skymaster-Porro-Binoculars/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374522279&sr=8-3&keywords=Celestron+7x50+binoculars Very good, but I did have to send a pair back as they had a tiny scratch on the lens. If you get a pair, these ones or otherwise check the lenses before you accept them. In my case both amazon and celestron were very helpful, received a new pair within 4 days of request and were in perfect condition. The company even checked them before sending them out.

For telescopes. I have a fairly poor one. It doesn't bother me - I see plenty with it. It cost me like £50 and I can see everything from the Orion Nebula to the Moons of Jupiter. I see pretty much what everyone else sees. I prefer binoculars to telescopes. In general you can just whip them out wherever you are if you have them on you and take a peak at the night sky. No need to set anything up - though sometimes if I have the time I pop up my tripod since my binoculars are kind of heavy.

Also if you have an ipod/ipad get the 'star walk' app. If you set it up, and point it at the sky it shows you the constellations you are looking at. It's wonderful. Great for learning new ones and getting familiar with the night sky. It's good navigation on a cloudy night too. Plus it tells you the location of various satellites.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tgwktm
I have a massive interest in astronomy too and I have most of those books you have mentioned already, but here are some I have as well: Haynes astronomy manual, stargazing for beginners, and I also by the sky at night magazine each month. What type of telescope do you have? I have a 5 inch reflector, which has been wonderful, I have seen a lot with it. waiting for autumn and winter now, my favourite time of year for stargazing

The only thing I've yet to see that I've wanted to see is Titan orbiting Saturn! Hopefully tonight is the night. :colone:
Reply 11
The only thing I've yet to see that I've wanted to see is Titan orbiting Saturn! Hopefully tonight is the night. :colone:

I've never seen that either, I won't tonight its cloudy :frown:
Original post by tgwktm
I've never seen that either, I won't tonight its cloudy :frown:

The weather can't decide where I am. :sigh:
Reply 13
oh its been cloudy all day here first time in 3 weeks
Is it unusual for a physicist to have very little interest in astronomy? I mean, I love astrophysics, but I can't get into astronomy.
Original post by wrexhamfc
Is it unusual for a physicist to have very little interest in astronomy? I mean, I love astrophysics, but I can't get into astronomy.

It's like for me, I love Astronomy and Astrophysics, but I don't like electrics, materials or mechanics. :colonhash:
Reply 16
It's like for me, I love Astronomy and Astrophysics, but I don't like electrics, materials or mechanics. :colonhash:

I'm the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon2.5

:five:

Hence A-level Physics is boring. :dry:

However I do like nuclear, quantum and particle physics. :yes:

I'm fine with mechanics; magnetism would be fine were it not so difficult; circuits though, now THOSE I hate.
Reply 19
:five:

Hence A-level Physics is boring. :dry:

However I do like nuclear, quantum and particle physics. :yes:

Yeah same! I'm just about to start it in September, as I've just finished my GCSEs. When the teacher was telling us the course content I though oh wow I am going to find this so hard! But I need the subject if I want to go on and do astrophysics at university!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending