The Student Room Group

A Level Help, Please?

Hi there-
It is a while until I have to choose my a levels (I am now at the end of year 10) but am notorious for not being able to decide things quickly, so I am thinking about my options now.
I would like to go into business when I'm older, and become a human resources manager. However, what sort of degree would be best for this? I heard business studies would be good but then someone said it wasn't respected.
I have done some research and have found that for either business or economics(the other option recommended to me) the following a level subjects would be good:

French
Chemistry
Business and Economics
Geography
Classical Civilisation

Are these ok? I really hate maths, but am predicted A* at GCSE, so should I take it, and would it give me an edge? Also, I think I could get good grades doing 5 subjects, but what is the workload like, could I still have a social life? If I only did 4, which subject should I drop? :confused:

Thanks for reading (and hopefully replying!) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah thats fine

social life, depends. I know a lot of friends who took 5 - 6 A levels, do nothing and chill or just focus on the subject they enjoy most (usually math), and then 2 - 3 weeks before the exams of the other subject they start extensive revision and end up getting A - A*. Ofcourse they pay full attention in class. Others revise a lot and have no social life.

You drop the subject you feel you dislike most, or is most useless for your future career that you should choose soon. Or dont drop, you dont have to.
Reply 2
For Economics in particular I think you should strongly consider Maths to at least AS.
Reply 3
Original post by Bexsqueak
Hi there-
It is a while until I have to choose my a levels (I am now at the end of year 10) but am notorious for not being able to decide things quickly, so I am thinking about my options now.
I would like to go into business when I'm older, and become a human resources manager. However, what sort of degree would be best for this? I heard business studies would be good but then someone said it wasn't respected.
I have done some research and have found that for either business or economics(the other option recommended to me) the following a level subjects would be good:

French
Chemistry
Business and Economics
Geography
Classical Civilisation

Are these ok? I really hate maths, but am predicted A* at GCSE, so should I take it, and would it give me an edge? Also, I think I could get good grades doing 5 subjects, but what is the workload like, could I still have a social life? If I only did 4, which subject should I drop? :confused:

Thanks for reading (and hopefully replying!) :smile:

I would agree with Midlander, maths is important to have for economics, but it does depend on the sort of uni you want to apply to as most Russell Group unis would probably prefer it. Business and Economics isn't very well-regarded to be honest and you'd probably be better prepared by doing straight economics, but again it does depend on the uni, your other subjects are fine btw :smile:

I would strongly advise against doing 5 AS's, no unis require it and you'll probably end up sacrificing your grades in the other subjects.

You might also want to look at this pdf: http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf which gives an overview of the AS subjects required for different courses at uni :biggrin:
Reply 4
Ok, thanks everybody. I'm now considering Maths, Chemistry, French, Classics and Economics+Business. The college I want to go to doesn't offer plain ol' economics, so I thought Economics and business would be better than nothing. Do I have to do that to get onto an economics/business course though?

Quick Reply

Latest