The Student Room Group

Most complicated sport to understand.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As a sailor I'm inclined to say sailing and I will... The sheer number of rules makes it difficult to tell whether your in the wrong or right sometimes.... Also as a sport; to get good at it takes a long time normally.
Reply 21
Original post by pane123
In terms of trying to explain the rules of a sport to a person that has never seen it, I'd put football up there.

It's nowhere near as confusing as the laws of rugby union.
Reply 22
Original post by Data
It's nowhere near as confusing as the laws of rugby union.

Haha quite possibly, but I don't know a single rule of rugby union.
My hardest sport to understand has been rugby, still kinda don't get it. Just about get golf:redface:
Reply 24
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Dressage?

Horse riding discipline :wink:
Sailing (specifically racing). There is literally no way to put it into a few words and make it make any sense. There are so many variables and factors to consider that even the best sailors in the world won't completely understand everything that is happening in their race. Also, the rule system is incredibly complicated. Insurance companies pay an awful lot of money to employ someone who knows the rules inside out and has the expertise to correctly apply them to any situation. It's all very, very complicated.

The rush that you get from sailing is really hard to explain and justify too. You can't really put it into words, it's just such a great feeling. Definitely something that you'll only be able to begin to understand after a few good sails.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
American football
Rugby union and league (am told there is some difference between them)
Chess (not classed as a sport but someone else mentioned it so hoping to be informed)

I'd say I keep an eye on all above sports, without really getting involved without watching them. American Football I'd like to know more about as my impression of it is that its taken the basic concepts of rugby and jazzed it up to maximise commerical avenues.
I often struggle to explain fencing to my peers...

Them: "If both lights light up, why is the point only given to one fencer?"

"All they do is wave their sword around. What's the point?"

Arghhhhhh :fight:
Tennis is way more complicated than cricket. In test cricket all you have to do is get twenty wickets and score more runs than the other team. In tennis you can win more games than your opponent and still lose.
Golf. I have no idea how complicated it actually is, I've just never managed to stay awake long enough to work it out.
Original post by Aky786UK
American football

This was my first thought - I just never understand why they do so many of the things they do :dontknow:
Reply 31
Original post by Willum Infanta
This was my first thought - I just never understand why they do so many of the things they do :dontknow:

Original post by Aky786UK
American football
Rugby union and league (am told there is some difference between them)
Chess (not classed as a sport but someone else mentioned it so hoping to be informed)

I'd say I keep an eye on all above sports, without really getting involved without watching them. American Football I'd like to know more about as my impression of it is that its taken the basic concepts of rugby and jazzed it up to maximise commerical avenues.

I wouldn't say American football is that tough to understand really, what part of it is complicated besides the playbook haha? :tongue:
Reply 32
Probably rugby union, just because of the sheer number of rules that bring on a penalty. I'll never be able to remember them all. I dont see why cricket would be difficult to understand though? There are only like 10 ways you can get out and the rest of the time you hit the ball and run

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
If you're talking about which sport is the least comprehensible to the casual observer, I would say either Roller Derby or Judo.

Roller Derby just looks like a lot of gothy girls on roller skates beating each other up. Which is in fact what it is - but the actual point of the sport is kind of lost on the casual spectator who has just come along to see a lot of gothy girls on roller skates beating each other up.

Judo is pretty much impossible for a casual spectator to understand. The concept of two people having a fight is fairly simple, but when one person looks like they've thrown the other person, and then loses - no one gets it.

In terms of individually overly complicated rules - womens lacrosse does itself no favours with shooting space and minor fouls outside the 11m fan.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I don't understand why so many people are saying cricket. It's always seemed pretty simple to me, and I can understand most of the rules even though I don't watch it regularly. I'd agree that rugby union must be quite confusing to newcomers though, I only really starting understanding the rules hen I began playing myself.

I'd have to say American Football as the most complicated though. I'm a pretty big American football fan, and I still don't understand half of the rules! The general idea of it is quite simple to pick up, but beyond that it can be so confusing at times...
Reply 35
Original post by Malevolent
Seekers catch snitch. Chasers throw quaffles to each other will dodging bludgers and try get the qaffle in the 3 hoops. Beaters hit the bludgers at other team s players and help their own team. Keeper as name suggests tries to stop the other team from scoring.

10 points for every quaffle that goes through the hoop. 150 points for catching the snitch and game ends there.

Simple :wink:

Actually in Muggle Quidditch the Snitch is only worth 30 points, just sayin'
Original post by pane123
Agree with Malevolent on that one. The lack of rules actually makes it quite enjoyable.

In terms of trying to explain the rules of a sport to a person that has never seen it, I'd put football up there. There is a reason that the odd woman who knows the offside rule tends to very proud of herself.

Football is pretty simple sport to understand, the only bit that confuses a lot of people is the offside phases, apart from that it's very simple

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Lot of different opinions haha! :redface:
American football looks complicated but watch a couple of games and play a season on Madden and you're fine.

Judo is my choice.
Reply 39
Original post by Bronco2012
American football looks complicated but watch a couple of games and play a season on Madden and you're fine.

Judo is my choice.

Exactly you can get by and sort of get whats going on easily its if you want to understand all the plays then you might have a problem haha. Same thing with Baseball. Obvious what you need to do but then when stats come in its hard.

Quick Reply

Latest