The Student Room Group

Food allergies and shared kitchen in uni accommodations

Scroll to see replies

i'm vegetarian and i pretty much never had an issue in my flat (i lived with a girl who was lactose intolerant too) :smile: i never really cooked with my flatmates and most people i know only cook with their flatmates on rare occasions :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by WhiteTea
so what's the issue with getting an actual lmedical analysis?

For intolerances like that don't they generally just get you to stop eating the stuff for a bit then eat it, and see what happens? That's what the doctor did to my friend for lactose intolerance. In which case OP has already essentially done this by comparing symptoms (although it could be just one of the things if they stopped eating all 4 at once).

xxx
Reply 22
Original post by kpwxx
For intolerances like that don't they generally just get you to stop eating the stuff for a bit then eat it, and see what happens? That's what the doctor did to my friend for lactose intolerance. In which case OP has already essentially done this by comparing symptoms (although it could be just one of the things if they stopped eating all 4 at once).

xxx

Oh I'm so confused. I do undersatnd as I have both allergies and intolerances but I don't see the issue with saying you don't eat something for whatever reason.... It's just like saying I'm a vegetarian or I don't eat chicken. It only becomes an issue if you make a big deal out of it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Oh I'm so confused. I do undersatnd as I have both allergies and intolerances but I don't see the issue with saying you don't eat something for whatever reason.... It's just like saying I'm a vegetarian or I don't eat chicken. It only becomes an issue if you make a big deal out of it

I agree, I don't think the OP will have any problems if they just say 'I don't eat this'. I'm just saying the doctor probably wouldn't provide anything different if it's an intolerance (an allergy maybe, cause they could do a test for that).

xxx
my friend is not in halls but rents with some other students... one has a really serious allergy to citrus, the simply dont buy anything with it in and if they eat anything like pineapple pizza while out then they thoroughly wash there hand etc... before touching anything in the house

another friend at uni is allergic to fructose, I think food allergies will be common just make sure people know

also im a vegetarian most people are understanding, in my old shared house everyone (without me asking) switched to quorn mince and quorn bacon because I have an allergy to red meat and it make me sick (although they still ate things like chicken)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Well it's good I see there are a lot of different cases! :smile: I should be fine! :tongue:

so what's the issue with getting an actual lmedical analysis?

Because they wouldn't find it :tongue:
Reply 26
I have Ceoliac Disease and have extremely bad reactions to gluten, wheat, barely, rye and oats! I'm going to buy a mini fridge I think and make sure everything I use is cleaned properly! Last thing i want to do is get ill! One of my friends is a vegetarian, so were a bit of a pair haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hair analysis is just rubbish that has you excluding food groups when you dont need to. Fair enough to do a proper exclusion diet and then reintroduce foods one by one to see what you can tolerate. Doesnt sound like you did that though.

Too much caffeine gives people the shakes, avoiding that isnt important. Most people eat too much sugar so that isnt harming you.

Gluten free food is expensive so harms your pocket.

Milk free means you may get osteoporsis later and if you were intolerant to that you'd have digestive issues. This is the one I really suggest you need a proper test for before you drop it.

Please dont ever put your food issues in the same group as allergies, which can and do kill people every year.

Quick Reply

Latest