Child's Skull Before Losing It's Baby Teeth

Watch
Rybee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Some may have seen this on IFLS on Facebook but I thought it was pretty neat to share:

It's nothing gory at all, but some people on the FB page have commented that they find it a bit disturbing because it's a child's skull so I've wrapped it in a spoiler so you don't accidentally stumble on it.

Spoiler:
Show

Pretty weird huh.
SamJ12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whoa that's weird! Was a bit hesitant about looking at it but glad I did, I had no idea that's what was in kiddies gums I guess I just always thought the eye teeth grow later on when baby teeth are ready to fall out lol! I'm looking at my little un now and picturing his eye teeth sitting there waiting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Believe it or not, you've just answered a life question I've always had Rybee! I always wondered whether the tooth was already in like a little compartment or whether it just formed, but could never be arsed to research it!
Maid Marian
Report 8 years ago
What are 'eye teeth'?

Have to say the picture freaked me out a bit when I first opened it
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
man it looks pretty weird. What I don't really get is the point of our dentition? So you're born with no teeth already erupted through the gums. Then a first set come down and you have those deciduous teeth for 6-12 years. Then you have your permanent teeth after that. Surely it would make more sense to have a first set for a significantly longer period, then get a second set around halfway through your lifespan. Rather than have a permanent set of teeth develop when you're still a child and then having to spend the rest of your life with them, if you loose them, you get no replacements*

*Unless you're weird like me and have a partial third set of teeth.
SaFa1237
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've seen this before!
But I always thought the adult teeth developed as the child was growing up. It's a bit weird knowing they're in our jaw!
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
man it looks pretty weird. What I don't really get is the point of our dentition? So you're born with no teeth already erupted through the gums. Then a first set come down and you have those deciduous teeth for 6-12 years. Then you have your permanent teeth after that. Surely it would make more sense to have a first set for a significantly longer period, then get a second set around halfway through your lifespan. Rather than have a permanent set of teeth develop when you're still a child and then having to spend the rest of your life with them, if you loose them, you get no replacements*

I'm no dental student but the first teeth are significantly weaker than the second so why would it make more sense to have them for longer?
Harley
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Maybe when we evolved that system of teeth our lifespans were significantly shorter and not many people lived past 30-ish? And it's only in recent millennia that 10 - 12 stopped being halfway through our lifespand?

[/pseudoscience]
(That's probably complete nonsense but it made sense in my head)
AspiringGenius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That is really cool :awesome: I never knew this, i thought they were formed later.
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tom78)
I'm no dental student but the first teeth are significantly weaker than the second so why would it make more sense to have them for longer?
Well then make them stronger haha. It's just the idea of having a first set which you shed from age 6 onwards and a second set which is expected to last you the entirety of your lifespan seems odd. Maybe the ability to form a third set later would be an idea.
Martie08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Woah :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rybee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Can we get some dental students in here to provide explanations please! ^_^
usernme_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
shouldnt have looked at that picture its horrible , i dont think ill ever be able to look at kids the same way , they will just creep me out
its interestint to know though

but why do people have baby / adult teeth why not just the teeth u have at adult hood?
usernme_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

does this mean babys have two sets up in their gums
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads