The Student Room Group

Tips for a soon to be sixth former ;)

My teachers tell me to 'read around the subjects' during the summer holiday... So...Any useful websites/blogs/books/newspapers?
Do u guys have any recommendations of resources that were helpful to you?
Plus do you have any general tips/ things you wish someone had told you before sixth form?
Plus how does one become more sociable with teachers and other students including those who are older than me :smile:?

I'm taking:
Maths - edexcel
Biology - OCR
Chemistry - OCR
RS (philosophy and ethics) - edexcel

Plus I'm hoping for a medical career

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

From my two years:

* If you can, learn the area around the sixth form.
* Learn what you'll cover on the courses (i.e. which units you'll take) - the "reading around" idea comes into play well there.
* On resources, a local library'll work well. Don't go too in depth to start with - anything with overviews or "introductions" to the subject/course is good.
* On "being sociable", you'll be in a similar setting to school, just with a stronger focus on working alone and not goofing off - so if you're willing to talk to people in the same boat as you, you'll be fine.

Anything more specific?
Reply 2
1. work damn hard from day 1 :smile: no regrets
2.ACE your AS :smile: getting ahigh A at AS means at A2 you can get a low B and still get an A overall -takes off ALOT of pressure
3. do what you enjoy :smile:
4. be organised :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Cutie_Pie
My teachers tell me to 'read around the subjects' during the summer holiday... So...Any useful websites/blogs/books/newspapers?
Do u guys have any recommendations of resources that were helpful to you?
Plus do you have any general tips/ things you wish someone had told you before sixth form?
Plus how does one become more sociable with teachers and other students including those who are older than me :smile:?

I'm taking:
Maths - edexcel
Biology - OCR
Chemistry - OCR
RS (philosophy and ethics) - edexcel

Plus I'm hoping for a medical career

Thanks in advance

Your similar to me, I'm starting sixth form soon and am taking maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
Maths is edexcel and my sciences are OCR and I to am hoping to go a medicine career!
1. As an RS student myself I can tell you, do not procrastinate in creating notes for these! They will be your saviour during exam times.
2. Philosophical Investigations is an excellent website for understanding RS, look at the past essays!
3. Do as many practice papers for your subject as possible, it is really what they say practice makes perfect.
4. A Levels are a big jump up from GCSE so do not freak out if you do not get the grip of the A Level writing style straight away, you will do in the end!
5. Ensure you keep all your files in order, it takes hours to re organise these if they get out of order!
6. Read around areas of the subject that interest you, the more passion and interest you have in the subject the better your experience will be.
7. Talk to your head of Sixth Form about opportunities, the more things you get involved with the more you have to write about in you personal statement when applying for university and more your reference writer has to reflect on.
8. DO NOT try and over work yourself with regards to part time work, you may have less subjects than at GCSE but you will have much more work!
9. Do not leave work to the last minute, nothing worse than writing notes at 10pm at night.
10. Ensure to make notes in lessons, many teachers at A level do not prompt you to make notes but if you think its important, write it down!
11. Ask for any lesson power points off teachers if you are unsure on a topic/area, these can be a life saver.

Most of all work hard and be sociable and A level will be great!
Reply 5
make sure your up to date with all your coursework as you will be panicking at the end if ur not and revise a bit each week even if its just 10 minutes , if you do this then you will pass really easily with good grades and will have a really long summer holiday before uni
and if u dont u will be really stressed and panicking to get everything done in timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 6
Original post by Gareth.Williams
From my two years:

* If you can, learn the area around the sixth form.
* Learn what you'll cover on the courses (i.e. which units you'll take) - the "reading around" idea comes into play well there.
* On resources, a local library'll work well. Don't go too in depth to start with - anything with overviews or "introductions" to the subject/course is good.
* On "being sociable", you'll be in a similar setting to school, just with a stronger focus on working alone and not goofing off - so if you're willing to talk to people in the same boat as you, you'll be fine.

Anything more specific?

do you have any websites/ resources that I can read which covers the courses?
do you recommend pre-studying the course before the teacher goes through it in class?
would you advise to make friends with those who work hard and focus only on studying? but arent these people usually very competitive?
plus I have found that those who talk alot in class and goof around get more help from teachers... should I sit by these people or avoid them?

Original post by MrVisneski
Your similar to me, I'm starting sixth form soon and am taking maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
Maths is edexcel and my sciences are OCR and I to am hoping to go a medicine career!

Hi five!!! :smile:

Original post by TinkerDanielle
1. As an RS student myself I can tell you, do not procrastinate in creating notes for these! They will be your saviour during exam times.
2. Philosophical Investigations is an excellent website for understanding RS, look at the past essays!
3. Do as many practice papers for your subject as possible, it is really what they say practice makes perfect.
4. A Levels are a big jump up from GCSE so do not freak out if you do not get the grip of the A Level writing style straight away, you will do in the end!
5. Ensure you keep all your files in order, it takes hours to re organise these if they get out of order!
6. Read around areas of the subject that interest you, the more passion and interest you have in the subject the better your experience will be.
7. Talk to your head of Sixth Form about opportunities, the more things you get involved with the more you have to write about in you personal statement when applying for university and more your reference writer has to reflect on.
8. DO NOT try and over work yourself with regards to part time work, you may have less subjects than at GCSE but you will have much more work!
9. Do not leave work to the last minute, nothing worse than writing notes at 10pm at night.
10. Ensure to make notes in lessons, many teachers at A level do not prompt you to make notes but if you think its important, write it down!
11. Ask for any lesson power points off teachers if you are unsure on a topic/area, these can be a life saver.

Most of all work hard and be sociable and A level will be great!

do you have any tips for remaining organised? folders/files/ sticky notes/ ring binders/ dividers.. which works best for you?

What do you recommend? The news/ a particular website or blog/ a book/ a debating club... TSR :wink:
What did you use for RS?

What opportunities do you mean? And what do universities like to see on your personal statement? especially for medicine?

This one has some good material. Also try ExamsTutor, s-cool, and InQuizitor.

do you recommend pre-studying the course before the teacher goes through it in class?

I reccomend doing so to a small extent. Don't go too far, because what you may learn alone may be completely unrelated to the exams/coursework you'll sit - and it'll lead to problems down the line. If you're worried about doing so, then just leave it for now

would you advise to make friends with those who work hard and focus only on studying? but arent these people usually very competitive?

I'd suggest making friends as a whole! You won't be able to judge a person for being a "hard worker" until halfway into the year. Just make friends in your class with as many as possible and burn as few bridges as possible and when you need to work and revise with people outside of lessons you'll have people to work with.

The "hyper-competitive" are a minimal, if non-existant, lot. Really there's no real gain to be "the best" in a class or even a college, as the split in grades only takes place on a nationwide level. Really the ones who are hyper-competitive will keep to themselves, no matter what ability level they are. However I've never met more than one or two of them in college or school, so don't worry about that.

plus I have found that those who talk alot in class and goof around get more help from teachers... should I sit by these people or avoid them?

You won't really know as you sit down for the first time, and you'll usually get a blend of them wherever you sit. If having a couple of goofs keeps putting you off work and Teach isn't doing their job of keeping order, try asking outside of lessons to move somewhere else.

What is important to note is that at college level no one is truly a full-goof person, certainly not after January - those who can't take the pressure because they slacked all year often just drop out. So you shouldn't have problems with goof-offs in college, unlike in Secondary School.

[Blimey that was a lecture! Hope that answers a lot, and feel free to ask more. Same goes for anyone else!]
Reply 8

This one has some good material. Also try ExamsTutor, s-cool, and InQuizitor.

I reccomend doing so to a small extent. Don't go too far, because what you may learn alone may be completely unrelated to the exams/coursework you'll sit - and it'll lead to problems down the line. If you're worried about doing so, then just leave it for now

I'd suggest making friends as a whole! You won't be able to judge a person for being a "hard worker" until halfway into the year. Just make friends in your class with as many as possible and burn as few bridges as possible and when you need to work and revise with people outside of lessons you'll have people to work with.

The "hyper-competitive" are a minimal, if non-existant, lot. Really there's no real gain to be "the best" in a class or even a college, as the split in grades only takes place on a nationwide level. Really the ones who are hyper-competitive will keep to themselves, no matter what ability level they are. However I've never met more than one or two of them in college or school, so don't worry about that.

You won't really know as you sit down for the first time, and you'll usually get a blend of them wherever you sit. If having a couple of goofs keeps putting you off work and Teach isn't doing their job of keeping order, try asking outside of lessons to move somewhere else.

What is important to note is that at college level no one is truly a full-goof person, certainly not after January - those who can't take the pressure because they slacked all year often just drop out. So you shouldn't have problems with goof-offs in college, unlike in Secondary School.

[Blimey that was a lecture! Hope that answers a lot, and feel free to ask more. Same goes for anyone else!]

It was a helpful and enjoyable lecture :wink: I am very thankful :smile:

During GCSE I didnt make many friends in my classes as I am a very introvert and awkward person.. What do you talk about when you meet someone for the first time, when you do not have anything in common and they are not responding/ continuing the conversation? How do you find common things? How do you make new friends in general?
A-level stuff seems to have been well covered above so some medicine advice may be a good idea :smile:

- After your AS exams get on volunteering, at the latest, as a lot of medical schools like to see a long-term commitment.

- Medical work experience; don't bother applying if you haven't got any. Try to get GP and surgical and/ or medical. The quantity is not the huge point, as long as you have some, so write notes when on work experience to have stuff to talk about in interview.

- Really make sure that medicine is for you, the application is hard work enough, let alone the actual career path.

- Do not underestimate the UKCAT and BMAT - they are evil...

- Work hard, play harder (and also work smart as well)
For edexcel maths - http://www.examsolutions.net/ is the best website, tutorials on every aspect of the syllabus and solutions to each and every past paper.
It was a helpful and enjoyable lecture :wink: I am very thankful :smile:

During GCSE I didnt make many friends in my classes as I am a very introvert and awkward person.. What do you talk about when you meet someone for the first time, when you do not have anything in common and they are not responding/ continuing the conversation? How do you find common things? How do you make new friends in general?

The most obvious jumping off point when talking to someone would be the subject itself. Ask if they know anything about it. Don't go too in depth about what you already know - you're breaking the ice, not revealing your history!

Other than that, try some of the classic questions you'll likely hear over and over again for the first week - "what's your name?", "which school are you from?", "what subjects are you taking?", and so on. The tutor might try to help start this kind of thing, so feel free to embrace that.

If they don't respond to it, leave it for about half a minute and join or start a new conversation in a similar way. Normal rules of engagement in conversations still apply, so be friendly, positive and yourself. You'll know everyone soon enough!
What would you guys suggest: 1 BIG Lever Arch for the whole of AS (per subject) or 2 ringbinders for the 2 units in AS (per subject)?
The 3 main things you need to do to enjoy your A Levels are:
1. Work REALLY hard. Work as hard on them as you possibly can so you can't say you didn't try.
2. Pick the right subjects
3. Even if you're staying at the same school, make some new friends, just to change things up. You'll get sick of the same people otherwise.
Reply 14
Original post by Muppet Science
A-level stuff seems to have been well covered above so some medicine advice may be a good idea :smile:

- After your AS exams get on volunteering, at the latest, as a lot of medical schools like to see a long-term commitment.

- Medical work experience; don't bother applying if you haven't got any. Try to get GP and surgical and/ or medical. The quantity is not the huge point, as long as you have some, so write notes when on work experience to have stuff to talk about in interview.

- Really make sure that medicine is for you, the application is hard work enough, let alone the actual career path.

- Do not underestimate the UKCAT and BMAT - they are evil...

- Work hard, play harder (and also work smart as well)

What kind of notes do I need to make during work experience? My feelings? What I have learnt? Anything specific?
What do they usually ask in interviews?

Im not completely sure on what ukcat/BMAT is.. all I know is that you have to apply yourself and its compulsory if you want to do medicine :smile:

What kind of notes do I need to make during work experience? My feelings? What I have learnt? Anything specific?
What do they usually ask in interviews?

Im not completely sure on what ukcat/BMAT is.. all I know is that you have to apply yourself and its compulsory if you want to do medicine :smile:

Notes: anything that struck a chord with you - on a home visit the GP had to tell a racing enthusiast that his new heart condition meant he could not drive anymore is the one that stuck with me.

Also keep a general list of what happened so if they ask you 'what does a GP do?' then you can answer that.

What you have learnt - definitely. Be it seeing the role of the doctor from another perspective or whatever.

BMAT/ UKCAT: evil exams :tongue: UKCAT you will most likely have to sit, you might want to have a look on their website as final date is sometime in September.

BMAT is used by a few different medical schools and is similar to the UKCAT.

You can't be serious ... which college/university did you go to? Or by "college" do you mean sixth form rather than university? At good universities many people are very competitive indeed ...
Reply 17
ocr biology is hard from experience so I suggest doin practice qs but not too much
Reply 18
Just some general advice from me:

1) Be organised
2) Don't take on too much
Reply 19
Revise everything you do in a week at the end of the week and over the weekend, at least on the Saturday. This will help you immensely when it comes to revising for exams, seriously :smile: !. I myself will be starting to do this from the start of Year 13.

Quick Reply