oxbridge accomodation from heaven/hell Watch

This discussion is closed.
koalapiyo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
any tales of bliss/woe in your experience of accomodation in oxbridge colleges?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by koalapiyo)
I love my room, don't want to move out next year
koalapiyo
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I love my room, don't want to move out next year
where are u at?
why do you love it so much?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
where are u at?
why do you love it so much?
I'm at Clare, and the room I live in at the moment is fab. It's a set (a living room/study with a separate bedroom) and it's ensuite with a shower, what more could I want? Tis lovely.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm at Clare, and the room I live in at the moment is fab. It's a set (a living room/study with a separate bedroom) and it's ensuite with a shower, what more could I want? Tis lovely.

a widescreen tv, a jacuzzi, a swimming pool, a king size water bed, Sky Tv, sauna and every other Americanised overindulgence for your average student room. I mean we get the above at Johns, your just at a crap college, thats all
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
a widescreen tv, a jacuzzi, a swimming pool, a king size water bed, Sky Tv, sauna and every other Americanised overindulgence for your average student room. I mean we get the above at Johns, your just at a crap college, thats all
I really hope you get one of the rooms overlooking the river. That way people can look up and laugh at the fact your huge lush room is in a concrete monstrosity.
J
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I really hope you get one of the rooms overlooking the river. That way people can look up and laugh at the fact your huge lush room is in a concrete monstrosity.
J
Not do bothered tbh as I wont be living there. I

'm fine with a bed and a toilet, that would actually do me withing the college.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, rephrase, what more could I want that would be feasibly affordable on a student loan?

I mean ideally I'd have Orlando Bloom as my scantily-clad personal slave within my little set, but that's not gonna happen either, is it?

What's Corpus like for accommodation, J?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, rephrase, what more could I want that would be feasibly affordable on a student loan?

I mean ideally I'd have Orlando Bloom as my scantily-clad personal slave within my little set, but that's not gonna happen either, is it?

What's Corpus like for accommodation, J?

You should gamble your student loan to make some bug bucks so you can afford such luxuries. Its the way forward.

I seriously dislike that name Orlando. It just hasnt got any class at all, its a total chav name
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You should gamble your student loan to make some bug bucks so you can afford such luxuries. Its the way forward.

I seriously dislike that name Orlando. It just hasnt got any class at all, its a total chav name
Well I like it. If he were my slave, I could change it if I wanted to anyway
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Seen as the question was about Oxford and Cambridge I'll comment on Oxford.

Heaven: Christ Church second years/scholars get oak panneled sets, a big living room with two bedrooms.
Magdalen get rooms overlooking a deer park.

Hell: Pembroke pay the highest room costs in the Uni for very average rooms.
Somerville recently converted part of their JCR into a bedroom.

Remember as well that not all colleges will give you a room for you whole course. The cost of living out might be hell for some people!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by house badger)
Heaven: Christ Church second years/scholars get oak panneled sets, a big living room with two bedrooms.
Magdalen get rooms overlooking a deer park.
Do they have to share these sets with two bedrooms though?

I think we have a couple of them in Old Court, but I'll never get them. One of the cosy double sets has a nice little bonus attached in that whoever lives there each gets a double ticket to the May Ball free.
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes and it's really cool when you do!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, but that's the proper notion of shared sets, not 'cosy doubling'.

I think we have a couple of them in Old Court, but I'll never get them.
I think there's normally 7 shared sets with seperate bedrooms and living areas, at least one with its own kitchen and toilet. Then there are 'cosy doubles' where there are just two bedrooms, which other colleges (Queens) try and pass for shared sets and we get reduced prices on etc. This year there are a few places that have disjoint rooms and so act like 'cosy singles', mainly in Old court but a couple in the Colony too.

One of the cosy double sets has a nice little bonus attached in that whoever lives there each gets a double ticket to the May Ball free.
It's a shared set not a cosy double, it has a living room, a kitchen and a mini staircase up to two bedrooms. Quite a charming little set. Both occupants get a double ticket each to the ball because years ago there was a guy who proposed to his wife at the ball and then got rich and so sponsors it in the hopes other people will too! The main problem is that it's on 'A' staircase and so the nearest toilets are the bar toilets, which shall we just say, can be unpleasant at times.

Alaric.
Rosy
Report 15 years ago
Helenia, Corpus accommodation ranges from an almost brand new block behind the Eagle pub of en-suite rooms, there's Botoloph Court on Botolph Lane (with some lovely tudor-esque rooms with beams etc), Old court (big, crumbly sets, one with a wierd image of Jesus preserved behind a glass screen on the wall) apart from the ordinary rooms. Old Court's now a building site tho, College won't be re-vamped for a couple of years yet
Dreama
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Which college has the highest proportion of Single ensuite accomodation?

I really couldn't live without a shower and toilet near me...

Dreama xxx
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
Which college has the highest proportion of Single ensuite accomodation?

I really couldn't live without a shower and toilet near me...

Dreama xxx
At Cambridge, probably New Hall ( second and third year accomodation) and Robinson (I hear virtually all the rooms are ensuite, and if not you porbably only have to share one bathroom between two students)
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
It's a shared set not a cosy double, it has a living room, a kitchen and a mini staircase up to two bedrooms. Quite a charming little set. Both occupants get a double ticket each to the ball because years ago there was a guy who proposed to his wife at the ball and then got rich and so sponsors it in the hopes other people will too! The main problem is that it's on 'A' staircase and so the nearest toilets are the bar toilets, which shall we just say, can be unpleasant at times.
Oh, that's the story behind it? Kinda sweet, really. My friend will have top ballot number for 3rd year, suddenly I'm thinking sucking up to him might be a good idea I, on the other hand, will have 116 or something, which means another year in the Colony (for sure) and Castle House (probably - I'm hoping to get in there this year though)
munch
Report 15 years ago
I am very excited about going to Merton next year but i cant find a single pic of the accomodation.

I applied as an international student from Houston Texas so i hope that works in my favor when allocating rooms, or however they do it, considering my home is 5000 miles away!!!

ANyone any ideas about Merton accomodation???
Dean_YaMar
Report 15 years ago
I had a great time there, quite alot of fit birds there but watch out for mr. Thomson
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise