The Student Room Group

Repaying postgraduate stipend after dropping out

I dropped out of an STFC-funded PhD in 2011, and have just received a letter asking me to repay just over £1,000 of overpaid stipend. :frown:

I'm currently earning about £150-200 per week (it varies as I'm self-employed) and spend about the same amount on rent, bills and food. What will happen if I reply to the letter and say there is no way I can afford to repay?

The last stipend payment I received was to cover the period until 30 Sep. I notified the university that I intended to withdraw on 24th Aug, but did not actually leave until the 4th September. In addition, I had paid for university accommodation up until the end of the academic year, and received no refund for leaving early. Would it be worth trying to argue that I can't repay the stipend overpayment because I gave the money to the university and never got any of it back?

I'm a bit worried to argue with the funding body in case they turn around and say I actually owe even more money, as I was largely absent due to MH issues for several months before I officially withdrew. But it seems really unfair to suddenly spring this on me with no warning after two years of letting me think I don't owe anything.

Anyone been in this position? Any advice?
Wow the UK must really getting desperate for research money if they're demanding stipends back! They won't care about about rent, because it didn't go to the people who funded your phd. You need to check the terms and conditions of the funding (if you no longer have it contact the funding body). They might just be trying it on, as there may have been financial issues that appeared after you left...
Original post by Eubacterium
Wow the UK must really getting desperate for research money if they're demanding stipends back! They won't care about about rent, because it didn't go to the people who funded your phd

It's the university that's asking me for money though, not the funding body! I would *hope* they'd pass the money over to STFC, otherwise I'm really not happy about paying it. I certainly didn't receive £1000 worth of teaching while I was there, and I already handed most of the stipend over to them when I had it.

Original post by Eubacterium
You need to check the terms and conditions of the funding (if you no longer have it contact the funding body). They might just be trying it on, as there may have been financial issues that appeared after you left...

My friend who works in debt recovery says I should offer to pay back at £1/week. I'm a bit worried that they'll charge me extortionate interest on the debt if I do (are they allowed to?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Someone else could have made use of that studentship while you were clearly wasting everybody's time and just playing at it.

Repay a grand? I'd make you repay the whole ruddy lot.
Original post by reginaldbright
Someone else could have made use of that studentship while you were clearly wasting everybody's time and just playing at it.

Repay a grand? I'd make you repay the whole ruddy lot.

I hardly think mental health issues are the equivalent of time wasting but judging by your other posts in this sub-forum you are trolling...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending