The Student Room Group

Going for a 2nd Undergrad degree: some concerns

Hi there;

I am 27 years old, I have a 2:2 LLB Hons degree. When I was 19, in my first year of uni, I had a very bad accident which nearly killed me and has left me with permanent health problems. My 2:2 is a unfortunate consequence of that.

The legal market in Scotland is too saturated, even glutted and tbh, I don't even know if I want to be a lawyer. As such, I felt it better and more prudent to start afresh, and retrain entirely.

To that end, I have been accepted for college, to study science highers (all my highers are humanities based). From there, I will then apply for a 2nd undergrad degree.

Some questions/concerns:

1) I sat my first highers about 12 years ago. How will this work in relation to my new application to university?

2) Although I am retraining etc. I don't really know what area/field/profession I want to go into. Basically, my primary and indeed only goal is to study an undergrad degree which has a decent chance of providing me with a decent job, i.e. a degree which has high employability.

Where could I find such information? I looked at the Uk Border Agency and their visa fast tracking department, to see which careers/jobs/professions are in demand. However, I wonder if there are other sources which I can research to get a more precise understanding of the the job markets for each sector?

3) I am concerned that age and more specifically, ageism may play a detrimential role in my efforts. Is this a legitimate concern? I am worried that a 30something graduate may struggle versus younger counterparts, irrespective of said 30something graduate's qualifications/experience purely on age.
Reply 1
Your age is not required for job applications so you will be able to apply for graduate jobs. Make sure when you do your second degree that you take every opportunity to find vacation placements and intern positions.

No one can tell you which degree is most likely to secure a job in the future. Improving your European and Asian language skills alongside your degree may increase your unique selling points in job applications. Study something that you enjoy and can excel at, as you already have a "sensible" degree under your belt.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending