This discussion is closed.
FlutterByKisses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I told my mate that I would totally wipe her computer for her because, well, she wants it completely wiped. The only trouble is, I thought that I could do it, what with having done mine a couple of times before (when i got some damn virus that i couldn't get rid of), and, well, I've tried to remember how to do it and I can't. I swear when i did it before i put a floppy in the a drive, turned on the computer and a menu came up and i did it from that.... I'm trying to work out how to do it without actually doing it so that when i do hers i know exactly what i'm doing... but that doesn't seem to be working. lol. any help?
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ainat87)
I told my mate that I would totally wipe her computer for her because, well, she wants it completely wiped. The only trouble is, I thought that I could do it, what with having done mine a couple of times before (when i got some damn virus that i couldn't get rid of), and, well, I've tried to remember how to do it and I can't. I swear when i did it before i put a floppy in the a drive, turned on the computer and a menu came up and i did it from that.... I'm trying to work out how to do it without actually doing it so that when i do hers i know exactly what i'm doing... but that doesn't seem to be working. lol. any help?

format c: ?
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
format c: ?
yea.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What operating system are you using? What is your windows directory called? Do you have the original CD's and CD KEYS?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You need to boot from the CD and locate where the format command is located.

With WinXP it will do all that for you.

With earlier versions you need to type in the command manually, and load up the CD drives. With win98 you can get CD rom support off the CD.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No reply? Fine I'm leaving.
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
assuming you really want to get rid of everything

quit to dos and type

format C: /u

this does an unconditional format and prevents an "unformat" being done
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
ok. so....

if i put in the boot disc, start it in dos mode, and type in format c: it should do it? i vaugely recall doing something like that when i did my computer before. It does give you oppotunities to say yes or no right.... i think it did before....
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Yes that's right. You'll need to reinstall windows after that.
yay! lol. re-installing is fine. Its getting everything off in the first place that I was confused with. I would try it out on my computer, but I don't want mine wiped. lol. I'll have to try it out tomorrow on my mates pc....
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok. so....

if i put in the boot disc, start it in dos mode, and type in format c: it should do it? i vaugely recall doing something like that when i did my computer before. It does give you oppotunities to say yes or no right.... i think it did before....
Depends what windows version you are installing, and whether you have set the first boot device in the BIOS to CD-ROM.
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Depends what windows version you are installing, and whether you have set the first boot device in the BIOS to CD-ROM.

I'm 99.9% certain that its windows XP.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm 99.9% certain that its windows XP.
You must go into the BIOS on the computer and change the 'FIRST BOOT UP DEVICE' to 'CD-ROM' usually the default is 'HDD-001' or something or other. Once you have done that, save the settings, and place the WINXP CD-ROM in. Whilst the computer is booting up, it will say something like 'Press any key to boot off CD-ROM', to which you respond by pressing a key. From there on, you can install windows and it will give you the option to format before installing. Regards.

P.S. See how easy it was to tell me what version you are using?
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
You must go into the BIOS on the computer and change the 'FIRST BOOT UP DEVICE' to 'CD-ROM' usually the default is 'HDD-001' or something or other. Once you have done that, save the settings, and place the WINXP CD-ROM in. Whilst the computer is booting up, it will say something like 'Press any key to boot off CD-ROM', to which you respond by pressing a key. From there on, you can install windows and it will give you the option to format before installing. Regards.

P.S. See how easy it was to tell me what version you are using?
thanks for your help!
menzib
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
dude

if none of that works then take the hdd out of the computer then format it in yours

its so much more easy like this and then you can just re-install windows or linux what ever you want to run, through a boot in the cd drive if this dont work then e-mail me
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if your mate wants to make the information on her computer 100% unretrivable for some reason then the only way to do that is to install a new hardrive and take a hammer and bang away on the old one.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (93)
26.8%
No (254)
73.2%

Watched Threads