The Student Room Group

What is Straight Edge? Is it Metal or Punk?

I've been really getting into the beliefs of straight edge, the only thing is that i'm not into hardcore metal or punk music. I'm into rock like Bon Jovi and rock-metal like AC/DC,Guns N Roses and Alice Cooper but i'm not into scream your head off and shout into the microphone music!

Also I don't believe in piercing my face or having huge earrings. Tattoos are cool though (not rose!).

The main reason I like Straight Edge is because lots of them like comic books :tongue: Just the only thing that makes me a 'fake' Straight Edge person is not being into metal or punk.

By the way, why and how was Straight Edger accepted in the first place? I thought people would think i'd be lame but you've got lots of thugs into it too

Scroll to see replies

we appear to have the exact same taste in music :biggrin:

I always thought straight edge was people who went t-total/recovered from addiction lol
Reply 2
Original post by rattusratus
we appear to have the exact same taste in music :biggrin:

I always thought straight edge was people who went t-total/recovered from addiction lol

I've been clean from alcohol for almost 3 years but Straight Edge seems cool because of Phil Brooks lol. I wonder how 'tough' people got into it. But to be honest I can't tell much difference in metal,punk and straight edge by appearance
Reply 3
It's a hardcore punk thing, I think.
Metal and punk are music genres.

Straight Edge is a label given to the morally superior non-drinkers / non-drug users by themselves. The concept of Straight Edge is fine, the attitude from people who declare themselves thus is dire.
Reply 5
CM Punk!
Reply 6
Straight edge is strongly associated with a completely drug free life (incl alcohol, cigarettes and the consumption of all animal products) and veganism. It's not really a "music genre", more like a way of life, a lifestyle. Might want to read the wikipedia article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
Reply 7
Reply 8
It's associated with punk.

If you don't want to drink or do drugs, then don't drink or do drugs. A lot of people calling themselves "straight edge" are annoying holier-than-thou types who think enjoying a life without use of substances affords them some kind of moral superiority. My honest recommendation is just to enjoy your drug-free lifestyle without linking yourself to that scene, especially if you're not into the music associated with it.
Reply 9
Original post by Redolent
It's associated with punk.

If you don't want to drink or do drugs, then don't drink or do drugs. A lot of people calling themselves "straight edge" are annoying holier-than-thou types who think enjoying a life without use of substances affords them some kind of moral superiority. My honest recommendation is just to enjoy your drug-free lifestyle without linking yourself to that scene, especially if you're not into the music associated with it.

But it's nice to be part of a group and make friends.

Is there a reason it took off? A lot of do-gooder bands like Christian rock or U2 are found lame but a lot of bad assets are straight edge. Any reason?

P.S Why do punks and metal heads, and some rock fans all look alike? Long hair,tattoos and piercings. Why don't they look different to show they're not the same
Reply 10
Original post by SportsFan
CM Punk!

I'll be honest, if Ididn't watch WWE I'd never know what it was but I've learned a lot about it, especially as I've become more straight edge due to health issues. I guess I'm straight edge although I don't know why caffeine is ok but some hate drugs?

CM Punk is cool as he likes comics,MMA and women too ;p
Ask CM punk.
Reply 12
Original post by ronki23

Is there a reason it took off? A lot of do-gooder bands like Christian rock or U2 are found lame but a lot of bad assets are straight edge. Any reason?

P.S Why do punks and metal heads, and some rock fans all look alike? Long hair,tattoos and piercings. Why don't they look different to show they're not the same

If you go by the stereotype, punks and metal heads have very different styles in what they wear and how they do their hair.
Reply 13
I listen to a lot of punk and don't drink/do drugs :holmes:

Yet I haven't found a reason to tattoo my arms with black Xs or pretend my body is some sort of temple :rolleyes:

But yeh, OP, doesn't sound like you're cut out for it if you think it's all about appearances
Reply 14
Original post by Manitude
If you go by the stereotype, punks and metal heads have very different styles in what they wear and how they do their hair.

The only differences is the Mowhawks but Punks don't all have Mohawks!

I was told Goths are into classic music bt some goths and metal heads look similar/listen to metal-Ish music together
Reply 15
Original post by Artymess
I listen to a lot of punk and don't drink/do drugs :holmes:

Yet I haven't found a reason to tattoo my arms with black Xs or pretend my body is some sort of temple :rolleyes:

But yeh, OP, doesn't sound like you're cut out for it if you think it's all about appearances

You're straight edge then.

I just feel alone not drinking/smoking and think CM Punk's a pretty cool guy. Don't understand how some badasses are straight edge as not drinking goes against the macho image
Straight edge is generally associated with hardcore punk, but it's not exclusive to the genre- straight edge is more of a lifestyle choice than anything else. It basically means no drink, no drugs, and occasionally goes so far as to ban smoking too. So if you don't do any of these things, I guess you're straight edge!
Reply 17
Original post by ronki23
The only differences is the Mowhawks but Punks don't all have Mohawks!

I was told Goths are into classic music bt some goths and metal heads look similar/listen to metal-Ish music together

Yep...indistinguishable.

As for Goths, they're allowed to listen to more than one genre. "Goth" seems to be more about the lifestyle and fashion than the music.
Most metalheads listen to more than just metal, too.
Reply 18
Original post by ronki23

So be part of a group that has something better going for it than a shared desire to not do something?

The reason it took off is because sheltered kids who have been raised to fear drugs and alcohol are given a way to reconcile that do-gooder lifestyle with the natural human desire to be some sort of hardcore rebellious badass. The reality of the situation is that it's usually just a bit cringey and pretentious.
Reply 19
Original post by Redolent
So be part of a group that has something better going for it than a shared desire to not do something?

The reason it took off is because sheltered kids who have been raised to fear drugs and alcohol are given a way to reconcile that do-gooder lifestyle with the natural human desire to be some sort of hardcore rebellious badass. The reality of the situation is that it's usually just a bit cringey and pretentious.

But as I said, some pretty hardcore people are Straightedge while adults into Christian rock or U2 aren't so there must be something more to it?

Quick Reply

Latest