The Student Room Group

Is it alright to do ICAEW ACA as an independent student?

Hello,
How about taking up ACA without a training contract i.e. getting registered with ICAEW as an independent student in start and joining a firm after clearing the Certificate level and Professional Level?

Is that adviseable???

it certainly would be beneficial as it would give me more time to study.

what do you think?
No definite answer, some firms (mainly the smaller firms) may like this quite a bit as it cuts down their costs and it shows that you are capable of the qualification to some degree.

For some other firms (usually the larger ones) this is a no go area. They will mainly only take on fresh trainees with no background and no exam experience and go from there.

I could see why people may think that self studying and passing exams can only be a good thing, but trust me when I say that a fair number of firms prefer to have fresh trainees.

Up to you really. It is perfectly possible to get on an ACA training position without any knowledge at all.
Original post by Zack Martin
Hello,
How about taking up ACA without a training contract i.e. getting registered with ICAEW as an independent student in start and joining a firm after clearing the Certificate level and Professional Level?

Is that adviseable???

it certainly would be beneficial as it would give me more time to study.

what do you think?

Hi Zack

This is definitely one route to the ACA, however, the ACA is an integrated programme, so as you go through the qualification, the other elements ie. ethics, professional development and work experience all help to reinforce the theory.

So, in general, we do recommend that you apply for an ACA training agreement.

Louise
Reply 3
Original post by ICAEW Advisor Louise
Hi Zack

This is definitely one route to the ACA, however, the ACA is an integrated programme, so as you go through the qualification, the other elements ie. ethics, professional development and work experience all help to reinforce the theory.

So, in general, we do recommend that you apply for an ACA training agreement.

Louise

Hi Louise,

Would you be able to advise me in regards to my poor A Level grades.
I have no where enough the required UCAS points, but have A grades in Maths and English at GCSE, and am on course for a first at university in an accountng based degree. I do have some extenuating circumstances, but how likely is it that I will be accepted on to a grad scheme with any top 20, even top 50 company..

Thanks in advance,
U
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending