Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI, as per the title.

In my opinion, the army would have probably fallen back to Berlin and fought in the streets, they appeared quite strong politically, willing to protect the Kaiser and the country at all costs. I also think that Germany may have been dissolved or split, just a thought.

In terms of leadership, i think that the British, France and America would try and rule their way instead of handing it over to a new German government. In my opinion this would have drastically altered the course of German history, politically and possibly financially.

By the way, i just did my History mock today on the Weimar constitution, i found it quite easy.

Anyway, I am getting sidetracked, thanks for having a look at this,

Sam

ReputationRep:
    If they didn't accept it, then most of Germany would have been destroyed through the war

I think that the Spartacist uprising could have succeeded then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.mckay)
    If they didn't accept it, then most of Germany would have been destroyed through the war

That does make sense, they did have a lot of support especially during their revolution in which they pretty much shut down Berlin for a few hours.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    The allies would have gone back to war with Germany. Germany physically couldn't afford to go back to war without completely starving her people and risking bankruptcy, so it's likely the Germany state would have collapsed and a similar system to what succeeded WWII probably would have been implemented. The German people would have had to have accepted the fact that they had been lied to and there was no money left, despite extremely effective propaganda during the war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddlesnap)
    The allies would have gone back to war with Germany. Germany physically couldn't afford to go back to war without completely starving her people and risking bankruptcy, so it's likely the Germany state would have collapsed and a similar system to what succeeded WWII probably would have been implemented. The German people would have had to have accepted the fact that they had been lied to and there was no money left, despite extremely effective propaganda during the war.
    Mmm interesting, would you also say that the public would have descended into disorder and violence? I would say so, the army would be powerless to stop it i guess, if they continued the war, millions more lives would be lost and Germany probably did not have enough resources to cope with a full scale uprising (not like the Spartacist one, that was only communists), I am talking about the whole country.

ReputationRep:

Spartacist was a sporadic movement although well organised had only 15,000 member roughly.

The German people were upset with their current situation, nonetheless, they were less inclined to follow radical movements initially following the war.

So I do not agree with the last part.

My teacher thinks Germany could have gone on and fought the war. It was after German army Black day that Ludendorff finally seeked peace talks with the Allies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathasatail)
    Mmm interesting, would you also say that the public would have descended into disorder and violence? I would say so, the army would be powerless to stop it i guess, if they continued the war, millions more lives would be lost and Germany probably did not have enough resources to cope with a full scale uprising (not like the Spartacist one, that was only communists), I am talking about the whole country.
    It's possible the Germans would have kicked off but I think eventually they would have accepted the fact they had been defeated and a pro-Allied system of government would have been installed. I don't doubt this government would have had attempts to remove it, much like the Spartacists' Uprising or the Kapp Putsch, and I'm not suggesting nutcases like Drexler and Hitler wouldn't have eventually crawled out of the woodwork, but the theory they had been betrayed by the Weimar government wouldn't have been there and so there probably would have been less instability than under Weimar.

Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddlesnap)
    The blockade did last until 1919 though, but interesting point!

ReputationRep:

Don't forget that most of the powers (except from the already dissasociated USSR) were opposed to the Spartacists and wanted to install a progressive and liberal democracy, hence the creation of the Weimar Republic. Therefore, they would have gone to great lengths to get rid of a Spartacist government as soon as they won the war.

ReputationRep:
    HI, as per the title.

In my opinion, the army would have probably fallen back to Berlin and fought in the streets, they appeared quite strong politically, willing to protect the Kaiser and the country at all costs. I also think that Germany may have been dissolved or split, just a thought.

In terms of leadership, i think that the British, France and America would try and rule their way instead of handing it over to a new German government. In my opinion this would have drastically altered the course of German history, politically and possibly financially.

By the way, i just did my History mock today on the Weimar constitution, i found it quite easy.

Anyway, I am getting sidetracked, thanks for having a look at this,

Sam
    This is my personal alternative scenario :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    First of all : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapp_Putsch

The first step would be that this coup succeed. The new government decide to stop follow the dictate of Versailles and save Germany from the Entente hegemony.

As a result, France and Belgium got scared and decide to intervene in Germany. They would probably be helped by Poland and Czechoslovakia. The Polish would want to keep Danzig and Stettin but they are also having war with the Soviets.

In that point, the new German government would decide to cooperate with Lenin (you know he was afterall a German agent in first place).

Unfortunately, the Germans would be defeated sine the economy was ruined and at the end it would be occupied.

At that point, general Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck starts a partisan-liberation war against the Franco-Belgium occupiers and their Weimar quislings, (just like Tito did in occupied Yugoslavia). Lettow-Vorbeck is a expert on Geurilla warfare and respected war hero. He is best known for launching a guerilla war in occupied German East Africa where he together with the Askari troops managed to hold 4 years against the British. Lettow-Vorbeck was also a participant in the Kapp Putsch.

The war lasted for several year until the French government, facing civil unrest of the from war tired French citizens, decides to negotiate with the German partisans. A compromise would decided: France keeps Alsace and Loraine while Germany would not pay reparations and let Austria to democratically unite with Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    The signing of the armistice was a strategic move by Hitler to buy himself more time to build both his army, and the economy. I've never really thought of it as him surrendering... because if he didn't sign the armistice, it would have brought about the end of his reign. He really used the armistice to his advantage, and sort of exploited it, so its undeniable that he was a master strategist.

I think that Germany shouldn't have ever been offered to sign the armistice in the first place. The first world war should have dragged on until Germany were defeated, and Hitler was taken out of power. Whilst the armistice did bring with it peace albeit temporary, it incited hatred, revenge and boosted german patriotism (all of which feeded into Hitlers plan).

I'm not sure whether the peace brought about by the armistice was even worth it. World war 2 was typically a continuation of world war 1. Hitler just resumed from where he left off last time.
    Wrong period.

If there was not Franco-British nationalism in first place; Hitler would never came to power in Germany.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by player19)
    Wrong period.

If there was not Franco-British nationalism in first place; Hitler would never came to power in Germany.
    I don't understand what you mean :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    I don't understand what you mean :confused:
    Hitler totally objected the treaty, he called the people who signed the treaty, traitors. At the time Hitler was no more than a barely employed corporal.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler totally objected the treaty, he called the people who signed the treaty, traitors. At the time Hitler was no more than a barely employed corporal.
    It helped his propaganda and thus, it helped him come to power. By no means was this the only reason he was successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcano)
    It helped his propaganda and thus, it helped him come to power. By no means was this the only reason he was successful.
    Yeah it helped him, barely. The growth of unemployment, the state of the economy and the support by rich businessmen such as Krupp, helped secure his foothold more than just the shadowy area for most Germans of the treaty.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it helped him, barely. The growth of unemployment, the state of the economy and the support by rich businessmen such as Krupp, helped secure his foothold more than just the shadowy area for most Germans of the treaty.
    And don't forget the huge masses of ex soldiers who were psychologically completely damaged by the extremely brutal WWI combat - they had grown accustomed to following orders and having a clear hierarchy, and now they were on the streets, couldn't work because of injuries or didn't find any work because of the crisis... many of them were very eager to participate in something that suited their 'style' and that gave their lifes some kind of meaning.

The extreme antisemitism of the Nationalsozialisten wasn't really something that would have scared off that many people - antisemitism was rampant in society back then, to a degree which would feel crazy nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcano)
    And don't forget the huge masses of ex soldiers who were psychologically completely damaged by the extremely brutal WWI combat - they had grown accustomed to following orders and having a clear hierarchy, and now they were on the streets, couldn't work because of injuries or didn't find any work because of the crisis... many of them were very eager to participate in something that suited their 'style' and that gave their lifes some kind of meaning.

The extreme antisemitism of the Nationalsozialisten wasn't really something that would have scared off that many people - antisemitism was rampant in society back then, to a degree which would feel crazy nowadays.
    You are, of course, completely correct. And yes, anti-Semitism and generally racism was rife in Germany in the early 1900's. And yes, due to their previous life in the army and their faith and loyalty in the Kaiser, they would definitely have no regrets in fighting for him, they would of course lose but they would have stopped the Allied powers considerably. I guess, also, if Operation Michael had worked, they could have even won the war, even though it was a last ditch effort they almost succeeded, just shows how determined they were!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.