The Student Room Group

Manual Driving Questions!

I just had my first two driving lessons today (2 hours) and I was driving to and from random places for all of the second hour, peaking at 50mph and averaging 30+mph. For some reason I was not scared but I am worried about colliding with vehicles from the opposite direction. Is this better than average or not? How many lessons do you think it will take me?

I didn't like stalling in roundabouts and T-junctions!

* I sometimes hit the kerb, any tips to keep at the centre of the lane? Or will I automatically get used to it by driving more?

* Did you learn with manual transmission? I am doing manual, but I just found out how easy automatic seems to be and thinking it over. Automatic seems so easy without the clutch, honestly. Should I just stop my manual transmission lessons and start with automatic?

I have good control of the vehicle except from starting and stopping. Any tips? This makes me terrible at T-junctions.

I sometimes stop at the give way line by braking, then clutch when almost stationary, then first gear. To move, I put the gas pedal on, then slowly move the clutch up to find the biting point. Is this correct or not? Will the car not move at all under any circumstances (unless the car is faulty) if I have the clutch fully down on first gear? Any tips to start up faster from stationary?

Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hard to give specific advice as it's so early on. Also you'd need to identify a particular fault you were making rather than just "starting and stopping" etc.

In terms of knowing the road position, have the nearside mirror set so you can gauge how far you are from the kerb. This will help your judgement for now.

When the clutch is down, the engine is disconnected from the gearbox and wheels. That's the point of it. Therefore the vehicle won't move by the engine when the clutch is fully down, but obviously it could move by rolling due to gravity if you're on a slope. Your moving off routine sounds good (obviously need the visual checks too though). Don't worry about doing it quickly for now. Accuracy is important, then speed will come naturally after practice.

The one big thing I would say though is to keep going with the manual. Sounds like things are going OK so you'll definitely manage it, and it gives you so many more options long term!
I think the majority if people will tell you to stick with manual, as most people are fully capable of learning manual unless they have dispraxia or some other physical disability. It's good to keep your options open and get your manual license, that way if you have to drive a manual car you can. There are a lot of people though that pass their test in manual and either buy an auto as a first car or drive their first auto several years later and decide they like it much better.

Your moving off routine sounds right, but these are the sort of things you should be clearing up with your instructor anyway. As for not feeling comfortable with being to close to the edge or middle of the road, that kind of spacial awareness will come in time. Early in my lessons my instructor sometimes had to grab the wheel to stop me clipping door mirrors of parked cars. My spacial awareness in my car now though is fine, in fact I think it's better than average because sometimes I get scared looks from other drivers when I squeeze through tight gaps next to their cars when I know that I'm in no danger of scraping anything or clipping mirrors.
Reply 3
Thanks all!

So, another question I've been pondering about.

So the clutch prevents moving, but what about if I have my clutch fully down but the gas pedal at maximum at 5th gear, would the vehicle still NOT move at all on a flat ground?
Reply 4
Original post by Konnichiwa

So the clutch prevents moving, but what about if I have my clutch fully down but the gas pedal at maximum at 5th gear, would the vehicle still NOT move at all on a flat ground?

Correct, the vehicle would not move.

The engine drives the gearbox, which in turn drives the wheels. Think of them connected in a chain.

Pressing down the clutch disconnects the engine from the gearbox. Therefore when the clutch is down, whatever the engine does has no effect on the movement of the car. By disconnecting, you allow the vehicle to be stationary and the engine to be still spinning. It also makes changing gear easier, which is why you press the clutch down to change gear.

Changing into neutral disconnects the gearbox from the wheels. So in neutral, whatever the engine does also has no effect on the wheels or the movement of the car.

HTH :smile:
Reply 5
Give yourself a break, you've only just started and you only have 2 hours of experience. You'll improve with time.
Stick to manuals. They're not hard at all. You'll get used to it.
Thanks all!

So, another question I've been pondering about.

Having the car in neutral and having the clutch disengaged both have the same effect, the engine and wheels aren't in contact. So any gear, maximum revs, all you'll get is noise and wasted petrol. That's why you're taught to set your gas first, so when you bring the clutch to the biting point the power will already be applied leading to a faster speed off the mark. So basically, assuming you're on flat ground with no handbrake, the more gas applied when you hit the clutch biting point, the faster you'll take off.

When you're moving off in your test, you'll be expected to have about 1000-2000 revs on the clock before you bring up the clutch on flat ground. Any less on a petrol car and you'll move off too slowly, or stall if you bring up the clutch too much. Either way you'll be holding up traffic and could fail the test. On the other hand, too many revs and you'll move off too quickly, which the examiner will take as a loss of control and may fail you, or worse still you might hit the car in front.
As you'll be taught soon enough, more revs are needed when starting on an uphill so that you give more power to the wheels to move it up the hill without rolling back, the steeper the hill the more revs needed.

Don't worry, you'll get the feel of the amount of gas needed in different situations pretty quickly :wink:
Reply 7
Is it normal that my driver instructor let me do over 70MPH before even learning how to park properly? I can't even park neither reverse properly, I park wobbly!
For some reason I was not scared but I am worried about colliding with vehicles from the opposite direction. Is this better than average or not? How many lessons do you think it will take me?

I was the same while learning to drive. With time, and in a few more lessons, you will become much more aware of the width of the car, and road positioning, and it will come naturally.

Again, this comes with practise. My advice would be to sort your mirror check, signal, position and gear as early as is safe to do so - i.e 2nd gear if you're 100% sure nothing's coming, 1st gear and stop if the junction is closed, or the roundabout is busy

* I sometimes hit the kerb, any tips to keep at the centre of the lane? Or will I automatically get used to it by driving more?

Your wing mirrors will help with this to a certain extent. Find an angle that gives you a wide view. But again, with time, this will become second nature.

* Did you learn with manual transmission? I am doing manual, but I just found out how easy automatic seems to be and thinking it over. Automatic seems so easy without the clutch, honestly. Should I just stop my manual transmission lessons and start with automatic?

No. It'll limit you, and automatics tend to be more expensive to fix, should they go wrong. Manual always seems difficult to begin with, but give it a month or so and you'll find it easy. No-one's going to be great on their first lesson.

I have good control of the vehicle except from starting and stopping. Any tips? This makes me terrible at T-junctions.

Nice and slowly, sort gear, signal, mirror check and position early, if you;re doing it last minute, you'll panic, forget to do something, panic more when your instructor points it out, stall etc. Slow and steady. Don't be put off by cars behind you, and remember, it's always better to wish you had pulled out, rather than wishing you hadn't.

I sometimes stop at the give way line by braking, then clutch when almost stationary, then first gear. To move, I put the gas pedal on, then slowly move the clutch up to find the biting point. Is this correct or not? Will the car not move at all under any circumstances (unless the car is faulty) if I have the clutch fully down on first gear? Any tips to start up faster from stationary?

Is the car you're learning in petrol or diesel? In general, petrol cars incline more towards gas, then clutch, diesel cars are more forgiving in that you can raise the clutch to the bite, creep forward, then gas. To start up faster, apply the handbrake and find the bite. When it is clear, give it a little gas and release the handbrake, giving you instant motion. In time, you'll be able to find the bite almost instantly.

Thank you.

^^
Automatics don't have power steering, so you'll be struggling with the wheel for quite some time!

You've only had 2 driving lessons, give it a chance :tongue: Automatics are more expensive to fix and i think they're more expensive to buy. I'm sure you also know that your licence is limited to an automatic if you pass in an automatic which is a bit annoying. The hardest parts of driving are observation, judgement and confidence- very very rarely have i heard anyone failing their test because they couldn't operate a gear stick. Even if you stall on your test it's not a fail, it might not even be a fault.

Learning to use the clutch is like learning to walk, once you get the hang of it you don't even think about it, it's second nature to you.
On my 2nd lesson, I was on a quiet estate just learning how to stop and start. I'm on my 14th lesson and still haven't been on 50mph roads... Give yourself a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Is it normal that my driver instructor let me do over 70MPH before even learning how to park properly? I can't even park neither reverse properly, I park wobbly!

He shouldn't be letting you go over 70 either way.
Reply 13
Original post by Sphodromantis
Automatics don't have power steering, so you'll be struggling with the wheel for quite some time!

Absolutely not, the mode of transmission is completely unrelated to the steering. Every modern car has power steering.
Original post by DeeWave
Absolutely not, the mode of transmission is completely unrelated to the steering. Every modern car has power steering.

Nope not every car, most cars don't. Lexus don't, smart cars don't.
Reply 15
Original post by Sphodromantis
most cars don't [have power steering]. Lexus don't, smart cars don't.

Actually most cars have power steering. Lexus' vehicles do have power steering. I know some Smart cars and other small cars don't; also some sports cars don't. But without exaggeration, 99% of new cars you see in Britain have PAS. It's been very common for years.
Reply 16
Original post by Idle
He shouldn't be letting you go over 70 either way.

I mean, he said overtake this lorry driver while I was travelling at 60MPH and I sped up over 70MPH then he said over 70MPH is too much. I haven't even learned basic parking yet and cannot park properly at all. I always park taking up two parking spaces! I think he wanted me to have a bit more experience when travelling at higher speeds.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I just had my first two driving lessons today (2 hours) and I was driving to and from random places for all of the second hour, peaking at 50mph and averaging 30+mph. For some reason I was not scared but I am worried about colliding with vehicles from the opposite direction. Is this better than average or not? How many lessons do you think it will take me?

Thank you.

definitely better than average, on my second lesson I don't even think I was doing 20mph. I wasn't doing 50 until around my 18th lesson or so
I mean, he said overtake this lorry driver while I was travelling at 60MPH and I sped up over 70MPH then he said over 70MPH is too much. I haven't even learned basic parking yet and cannot park properly at all. I always park taking up two parking spaces! I think he wanted me to have a bit more experience when travelling at higher speeds.

I didn't do parking manoeuvres until my 8th or 9th lesson, but bearing in mind it's only your second lesson, you shouldn't be doing something like overtaking, which requires a solid knowledge of the width of the car, and distances between you, the cars in front and behind, and stopping distances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending