The Student Room Group

Final year law student needs advice (LPC and training contracts)

Hi guys,

I'm a final year law student who is due to graduate in 2 weeks time from a Russell Group uni having scraped a 2:1. I did not apply for training contracts last year (in my second year) as I achieved just short of a 2:1 that year and was almost certain that I would be rejected for a TC.

I am looking to apply for a TC this year (though my chances are probably very slim) and am slightly confused as to whether I need to or should apply for an LPC right now or this year? When do I apply for an LPC? Do I apply before I get a TC or does this happen once you've secured a TC and your firm recommends their preferred LPC provider?

For those who are self-funding and don't have rich parents :wink: or don't have £15k lying around in the bank, how did you fund your LPC? I am worried that I won't be able to secure any loans to pay for my LPC and don't know where to seek a loan from in the first place. A high street bank

Also, I am currently looking for work experience at smaller/mid-sized firms to help boost my CV having secured no vac schemes this year (I only applied to one firm on the 31 Jan- MacFarlanes - and was rejected 2 months later due to the 'high volume' of applicants this year).

As you can tell, I'm pretty confused :smile: and would really appreciate any clear advice as to what I need to do to get myself on track.

Thanks! :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by Hustler-1337
Hi guys,

I'm a final year law student who is due to graduate in 2 weeks time from a Russell Group uni having scraped a 2:1. I did not apply for training contracts last year (in my second year) as I achieved just short of a 2:1 that year and was almost certain that I would be rejected for a TC.

I am looking to apply for a TC this year (though my chances are probably very slim) and am slightly confused as to whether I need to or should apply for an LPC right now or this year? When do I apply for an LPC? Do I apply before I get a TC or does this happen once you've secured a TC and your firm recommends their preferred LPC provider?

For those who are self-funding and don't have rich parents :wink: or don't have £15k lying around in the bank, how did you fund your LPC? I am worried that I won't be able to secure any loans to pay for my LPC and don't know where to seek a loan from in the first place. A high street bank

Also, I am currently looking for work experience at smaller/mid-sized firms to help boost my CV having secured no vac schemes this year (I only applied to one firm on the 31 Jan- MacFarlanes - and was rejected 2 months later due to the 'high volume' of applicants this year).

As you can tell, I'm pretty confused :smile: and would really appreciate any clear advice as to what I need to do to get myself on track.

Thanks! :wink:

If you got a TC to start in 2015, which will be the case at most bigger firms now, then you need to do the LPC by Sept 2015, so you could do it next academic year, 2014-15 or this year. They'll take people up to the last minute if you have the money so if you did get a TC this time round you might be able to do it from September, if not January intake or next Sept.

If your firm's not paying for it you can get a career development loan off a few banks (Co-Op and Barclays?) or BPP have some special deal which means you're pretty much guaranteed one if you're at BPP.

WE wise work contacts, find the firms that do it on an ad hoc basis, the usual.
Reply 2
In the current market, it's my opinion that if you are not well funded, you would be mad to go to law school without training.
Reply 3
Original post by Hustler-1337
Hi guys,

Before you make any decision you should be aware that 2:1 law graduates from Russell Group universities are ten a penny, it's probably the minimum for a large number of firms.

Quick Reply

Latest