The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances

I was just thinking about my past AS exams, and I read a thread about extenuating circumstances

During my summer examinations, my family was forced out of our house twice, and we were technically 'homeless' and we are currently living in emergency accommodation. Basically i feel like i felt a lot of distruption, one exam was the day before we actually moved house. I felt tired in that exam and really anxious. I'm thinking maybe that could affect my performance?

What should I do? Do i need to write a letter?

Reply 1
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
I was just thinking about my past AS exams, and I read a thread about extenuating circumstances

During my summer examinations, my family was forced out of our house twice, and we were technically 'homeless' and we are currently living in emergency accommodation. Basically i feel like i felt a lot of distruption, one exam was the day before we actually moved house. I felt tired in that exam and really anxious. I'm thinking maybe that could affect my performance?

Applications for special consideration are meant to made within a week of the exam and the absolute deadline is this Wednesday, 3 July. If you want to try and have an application put in then you need to go and talk to your exams officer (who would have to make the application) asap.
Reply 2
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha

First off, I'm not sure if you can apply for extenuating circumstances after the exam. I'm pretty sure it needs to be before, in any case you can ask your schools exam officer or coordinator. I guess homelessness probably counts for 4-5% perhaps. This is a list posted up a few years back from an exam board:

"5% This is the maximum allowance and will be reserved for the most exceptional cases, such as:
terminal illness of the candidate;
terminal illness of a parent/guardian/carer;
recent death of a member of the immediate family;
serious and disruptive domestic crises leading to acute anxiety about the family.

4% Very serious problems such as:
incapacitating illness of candidate or member of immediate family;
major surgery at or near the time of the examination;
severe disease;
severe car accident;
recent death of member of extended family;
severe or permanent bodily injury occurring at the time of the examinations;
domestic crisis at time of examinations.

3% A more common category, many more cases will fall into this group, including:
recent traumatic experience such as death of a close friend or distant relative;
recent illness of a more serious nature;
flare-up of severe congenital conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes, severe asthmatic attack;
recently broken limbs;
organ disease;
physical assault trauma before an examination;
recent domestic crisis;
witnessing a distressing event on day of examination.

2% Probably the most common category of allowance.
The majority of cases might fall within this category:
minor illness at the time of the assessment;
broken limb on the mend;
recent viral illness;
concussion;
effects of pregnancy (not pregnancy per se);
hay fever on the day of an examination;
extreme distress on day of examination;
allowance on last paper taken in a day when candidate has exceeded 5 hours 30 minutes at GCSE or 6 hours at AS/A Level.

1% Reserved for more minor problems:
noise during examination which is more than momentary;
illness of another candidate in examination room;
stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed;
minor ailments;
headache;
minor upset arising from administration problems, such as wrong time allocated.

0% - Consideration was given but the addition of marks was considered inappropriate:
Where the request fails to meet the criteria, it will be rejected.
Reply 3
Original post by Alex360
First off, I'm not sure if you can apply for extenuating circumstances after the exam. I'm pretty sure it needs to be before,.

The centre cannot apply before the exam, it has to be done afterwards but you are right in thinking that the centre will probably deal with a problem better if they know about it as it happens and not get requests after the event when they weren't aware a candidate had a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest