shestudies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So after hearing plenty of scare stories from current Uni students, the biggest concern I now have is the shared kitchen. I am going self-catered with a kitchen shared between 6-7 people. I have a few questions:

Do people steal your food? If so, how do you stop this? Are there locks on cupboard doors?

How much storage do you get? Is there enough space to store my food and pots/pans etc? Or will some of it have to go in my room?

The fridge. What is the system for sharing a fridge? Shelf each?

Will people use my pots/pans/utensils without asking me and just leave them dirty on the side?

Do people generally cook their own meals at their own times, or is it expected that you will eat/cook together?

Thanks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shestudies)
So after hearing plenty of scare stories from current Uni students, the biggest concern I now have is the shared kitchen. I am going self-catered with a kitchen shared between 6-7 people. I have a few questions:

Thanks
Do people steal your food? If so, how do you stop this? Are there locks on cupboard doors?

They might, and no there aren't locks lol

How much storage do you get? Is there enough space to store my food and pots/pans etc? Or will some of it have to go in my room?

Unless you're hiding gordon ramsays collection in there you'll have enough room for the essential stuff, maybe lay off buying the smoothie makers and fondue kits though

With 6-7 people, you won't get a shelf each.

Will people use my pots/pans/utensils without asking me and just leave them dirty on the side?

Possibly

Do people generally cook their own meals at their own times, or is it expected that you will eat/cook together?

Depends, probably make your own stuff at first so you'll need to space times out but eventually you may end up making the one thing and chipping in
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was pretty much a non-issue in my place. Cupboards had a lock on them (for food and stuff). There were also cupboards for pans and the such without locks. It was the size of a regular shelf on the wall and cupboard on the floor really.

In terms of storage, between 6 people, there were two fridges and two freezers. We mostly just had a shelf each in both.

Some people may use your stuff, so clean it and lock it away if you have to. Some people might ask to borrow it, and they were usually okay with washing it up afterwards. Don't buy expensive stuff though, you won't miss it if you have to bin it!

Most people seemed to have their own dinner times and did it like that. It's really up to you. I think the only time I'd make sure I was eating with other people was when we ordered pizza and played some card/drinking games. Aside from that, some people ate in the kitchen and some took stuff back to their room. We didn't really have a social space though, the kitchen was small. Some accommodation may have a living room, so that would be a lot better for that.
Advertisement
DashingHero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm starting uni this September and am in self catered so don't have the experience in the accommodation but some friends in uni have told me some stories as well

In my accommodation I know there is one cupboard per person with locks. You should be able to find this out on the uni website, or the accommodation provider's website

Some of my mates at uni did have the issue of people stealing things of their fridge shelf. They just complained to the accommodation provider and I'm pretty sure it got sorted out.

I've heard that most people cook their own dinners but have a get together once a week and take it in turns buying and cooking dinner that evening. It would be general meals like curry or spag bowl

With storage for your food this would depend on what sort of accommodation you're at. I know some people kept stuff like crisps and biscuits in their room, but that could be more for easy access and you know no-one can then steal your fave biscuits
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course, it depends on the flatmates you get. However, I found that whilst people might borrow a bit of milk / butter / similar when they have run out, they are much less likely to take anything that is valuable (e.g. meat), or anything that requires taking an entire item (e.g. a tin of soup). To be perfectly honest, it's not worth worrying about losing a bit of milk sometimes - it means that when you run out you can use a bit of theirs.

Whether or not you do get locks on your cupboards will vary by uni & halls, but I didn't and it wasn't a problem. Come to think of it, I very rarely locked my bedroom door either.

Variable, but you'll probably get 1-2 cupboards. Whether or not there's enough space depends on how much stuff you bring!

Depending on how much space you have, you'll normally find that it's a shelf each + communal space in the door for milk etc.

Hopefully not. I found that the most effective tool to avoid this is to make it clear that you're fine with people borrowing stuff so long as they wash it up straight away. If you do find that someone has used something and not wash it up, get them to wash it up immediately.

People invariably cook at their own times - everyone has different timetables and gets hungry at different times. Plus, the kitchen would probably get relatively crowded if everyone did cook at the same time.
Advertisement
lokalokaloka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would it be easier to just put a mini fridge in your room and have "your stuff and your stuff only" lol and then put essentials like butter, milk etc that everyone can use in the regular fridge.
AdamHarriis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks
There was an international Chinese student in our flat last year and there was a few times where he'd decided to help himself to what we had in our freezer drawers, but if you get a nice group of flatmates then there shouldn't be a problem with food going missing (unless someone comes home drunk and thinks they're the next Gordon Ramsay or someone haha)
There should be plenty of space for you to store and food/pots, pans etc
We just took a shelf each
In our flat we just used each other's pans/plates/trays or whatever but we got on well so that wasn't a problem. Expect to lose a few plates though just through accidents and stuff
Advertisement
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lokalokaloka)
Would it be easier to just put a mini fridge in your room and have "your stuff and your stuff only" lol and then put essentials like butter, milk etc that everyone can use in the regular fridge.
A lot of places don't allow them due to the amount of power they use.
Luke070
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lokalokaloka)
I was hoping to get my own fridge in my room just because it would mean that I would be able to keep an eye of my things and would not have to worry about people stealing my stuff. Although, I don't think you're allowed to have mini fridges/fridges in your room unless they are provided already. I'm actually going to call my accommodation up today to ask them about it.
Advertisement
EliseTheBees
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks

People may do steal your food. It all depends on your flatmates. If you don't know, just say to everyone that you know someone's been eating your food and would like them to stop. Here are some of my tactics, I've used some and they've worked.

If you can tell who did it, you could go with the secret revenge of putting vinegar in their juice or something. If you plant food that's got something REALLY spicy in it that they wouldn't expect it to have, then they may be less inclined to steal your food.

Write your name on all your food, it makes it clear and gives nobody any excuse for eating your food. Tape up the packets with duct tape and re-tape it after you use it, keeping the tape in your bedroom. Not everyone has duct tape and wouldn't necessarily go out of their way to buy it just to steal your food.

Put little post-its saying you've licked it. It's yours, you can. You've got a block of cheese? Lick it in front of someone. They're not going to use it after you do that. A housemate of mine kept drinking my (expensive) juice. I knew it was her, took it out, had a swig and poured it back into the bottle in from of her. I found it never happened again

Of course, if you know who it is, you can just eat their food. If they quiz anyone, just respond that someone's been eating yours as well and it's not fair that people eat everyone else's food.

If people use your stuff without washing it up, keep it in your bedroom. Can't use it if it's not there. If they leave it, ask them nicely to wash it up.
ebduff
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on what Uni you're going to!
The one I'm going to have a cupboard each with locks on, plus the fridge and freezer are huge with 10 baskets in, you get one in both the fridge and freezer and you can padlock that!
In terms of eating times, you'll just have to see what happens when you get there, might end up that you only eat together like once a week where you might pool money for a nice cooked meal!
Advertisement
Claire888
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Right I shared a flat wit 5 other girls tis year. On the whole it was absolutely fine, BUT it does depend who you're with. The fact we were all girls did definitely help, if it is mixed or all boys from my experience they are much messier.

In our flat we all kept to our own food, sharing stuff out when needed etc, but no stealing of it. But we had no locks, wouldn't need it.

Depends on the university, we had one large (full counter length)shelf and one smaller one each, so enough for food in one and plates etc in the other, with utensils in pots on the side. Then we all had one fridge and one freezer shelf, but again depends on fridge size and amount. Most of us kept everything in the kitchen (pots on top of the fridges) but I kept things like tupperwear in my room because otherwise it got confusing.

Sometimes that does happen, generally if it does, my method was moan to someone you know didn't use it, and the message gets passed on to the culprit and they won't do it again (perfect solution). But it didn't happen much, only really when we all knew each other well and usually after asking anyway.

Again cooking times depends, we got int the habit of cooking our own things whenever we wanted but that usually meant that while you were cooking a few others would come in and start as well, so we would all eat together or in smaller groups, without the kitchen being too busy.
JamesDM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Yes. You don't, just steal their food if they steal yours. It depends which uni you're at.

It depends which uni you're at. It depends which uni you're at. It depends which uni you're at.

You will have to come up with a system yourselves, but generally there will be a shelf each, or if there's not enough room, it'll be everyone gets a shelf, and one person gets the door.

Yes. Because chances are, they're going to find their pots/pans/utensils dirty on the side, get pissed off, use some clean ones, and think "**** it, if someone can't be ****ed to clean mine, why should I clean theirs".

Normally people cook completely by themselves, for themselves. Occasionally people group together for a meal.

Thanks

_______

The main thing is this, Don't hate the player, hate the game. If you get uptight and cranky with people about trivial things like some dirty dishes, or your food being moved to another shelf, you're gonna piss people off. Just go with the flow and enjoy the fun you're going to have in halls and don't waste your energy getting upset about things not being neat, tidy and organised.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?