The Student Room Group

Council tax exemption living with non-student

Hi there,
I'm a little confused as to how council tax exemption works when living with a non-student.
I'm aware that if there is a non-student living in the property then the council tax bill gets a 25% reduction, but that bill should only apply to the non-students as they aren't exempt...right?

I have recently moved out of my flat after a year-long tenancy and my ex-housemate (the non-student) agreed that she should be the only one to pay council tax. The thing is, she has a string of debts and never paid the council tax whilst we were living there.
Because of this, the bills kept on coming but even though i sent the council my exemption form, my name was never removed from the bill and now is threatening to proceed to action with bailiffs & CCJs.

Does my council tax exemption form not mean I am completely exempt from all of this?
Or does it just mean that we both get a 25% discount on the council tax amount but I am not exempt?:confused::confused::confused:

Please help!:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
All full time students are exempt from council tax. She the only one liable for the council tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you should not be liable for any of the council tax. Your housemate will get a discount as you're a student but she is liable for all of it. Write to the council, provide your proof of being a student and ask for your name to be taken off all of the correspondence and court case as you are not liable to pay any of the bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending