The Student Room Group

EPQ 747 Engines

I want to do an EPQ on 747 Engines but I am stuck on what the question/title should be. Any Ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by ioh969
I want to do an EPQ on 747 Engines but I am stuck on what the question/title should be. Any Ideas?

why specifically 747?
How about the evolution of jet engines since 1940... Or in the form of a question 'what are the milestones in the evolution of the modern jet engine'
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
why specifically 747?
How about the evolution of jet engines since 1940... Or in the form of a question 'what are the milestones in the evolution of the modern jet engine'

I thought EPQ's had to be more focused on a certain thing. I'm thinking now, 'How have aircraft evolved in terms of efficiency.' or is that too broad?
Reply 3
Original post by ioh969
I thought EPQ's had to be more focused on a certain thing. I'm thinking now, 'How have aircraft evolved in terms of efficiency.' or is that too broad?

well you have to be specific about designing your question otherwise you'll wander off and never reach an end. The 747 is a family of aircraft that's been in service for 40 years - a significant fraction of the time since the first powered heavier than air plane. I expect the engines now going into new 747s aren't identical to the engines used on the first 747 models.
If you've got a reason for picking the 747, such as wanting to look at a mature type of aircraft and how it's changed over time that's fine. you don't really want to look like you've picked the specifics of your question out of a hat.

Efficiency brings in a lot of areas, if you want to talk about engines you don't want to think about cockpit automation eliminating the flight engineers job - though this was obviously an efficiency as far as the airline accountants were concerned.
That's a very specific title. 'How have methods of propulsion in aerospace engineering evolved?' Might be a better title, don't forget that you need to write 5000 words on the topic.
Reply 5
There's not really such a thing as '747 engines'. There's three different models (four if you count the 744ER) made by P&W, GE and Rolls-Royce; the engines also aren't exclusive to the 747 but also appear on the A300/A310/B762/B763/MD11 - so it would be somewhat silly to have a title along the lines of "747 engines"

If you want to do something on an impressive commercial aircraft engine, you should look at the GE90.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending