Please help: Birmingham vs. Kent for Computer Science MSc

Watch
mouldycheesecake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've been offered this MSc for non-computing graduates and I have no idea where to go. I'm not really concerned about social life or anything and am mainly concerned with the academic side of things, but at the same time I don't want to hate where I live and I'm not really a huge city person. I think I would enjoy living in Kent more and it has the industrial placement option, but Birmingham is much higher ranked. I don't live in the UK and know very little about the respective locations, but I would be close to relatives in Kent.

Can anyone help me out, especially if you have done this particular course or just computer science generally in one of these universities. I really don't know what to do and I'm worried I'll make a decision I'll regret. It's basically somewhere I think I'd enjoy being more vs. prestige.
reginaldbright
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Birmingham? Have you BEEN to Birmingham? Its a dump surrounded by concrete motorways and the accent is ghastly.

Go to Kent - solid campus style Uni, nights out in London, and you can understand the locals.
ebee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mouldycheesecake)
Can anyone help me out, especially if you have done this particular course or just computer science generally in one of these universities. I really don't know what to do and I'm worried I'll make a decision I'll regret. It's basically somewhere I think I'd enjoy being more vs. prestige.
I did my undergraduate at Kent, in computer science. The department has a huge focus in terms of how to teach the subject - it's one of their major research groups - so you can expect high-quality teaching and engaging, friendly, supportive lecturers. That was my experience, anyway

As far as prestige goes, yes, Birmingham is better rated in league tables. However, partly because of the year in industry programme, Kent has excellent links with a lot of major employers (Morgan Stanley, IBM, Eli Lilly, Intel) so you aren't going to be disadvantaged there.

I went to see Birmingham as I was considering doing my MSc there, and the main computer science building is definitely fancy; Birmingham's town centre is also a lot bigger than what you'd find in Canterbury. However, Canterbury has the benefit of being beautiful, and Kent's campus is wonderfully green, rather than being all glass and concrete!

Ultimately, I would personally go for Kent, but I seriously recommend going and getting a feel for the campuses yourself and talking to the people who will actually be teaching you.
uob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by reginaldbright)
Birmingham? Have you BEEN to Birmingham? Its a dump surrounded by concrete motorways and the accent is ghastly.
Have YOU been to Birmingham? The campus is one of the best, in a lovely area. As a city it's Europe's greenest. You hardly speak to any locals so who cares for the accent, but there's tonnes to do in the centre, yet it's not as expensive as London. Campus has a train station so it's easy to get into town.
mouldycheesecake
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the helpful responses so far. I am probably going to go with Kent because I prefer one of the main modules and the possibility of real work experience, but am bumping for any last minute insights people might have before I confirm it.
reginaldbright
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the helpful responses so far. I am probably going to go with Kent because I prefer one of the main modules and the possibility of real work experience, but am bumping for any last minute insights people might have before I confirm it.

Did you go to Kent?
Natkin
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by reginaldbright)
Did you go to Kent?
Up, please share your experience if you did choose Kent.
dappydaniel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been offered this MSc for non-computing graduates and I have no idea where to go. I'm not really concerned about social life or anything and am mainly concerned with the academic side of things, but at the same time I don't want to hate where I live and I'm not really a huge city person. I think I would enjoy living in Kent more and it has the industrial placement option, but Birmingham is much higher ranked. I don't live in the UK and know very little about the respective locations, but I would be close to relatives in Kent.

Hi mouldycheesecake, Did you go for the Computer Science Msc in Kent? i have an offer there, and i am considering coming this September, whats your recommendation?
fastswift
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not to be sexist and racist here, as a girl, not brown, walking in some area in the town centre in Birmingham alone is quite dangerous.

Have you been stopped in the street by a gang of random guys? Have you been shouted at randomly? Have you seen chavs throwing balloon filled liquid on pedestrian?
I would definitely choose Kent over Birmingham for personal safety reason.

Kent computer science graduate prospect is very good. Go to their career website for individual graduate destination, listed by course and by graduation year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads