The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by venianel
hi everyone! very quick question here :P should i include in my personal statement that apart from what i am doing in my gap year (forced gap year) i'm also resitting couple of my exams? or maybe it's not very good idea?

No need, as it will say pending on the other part of the form, so they will know.
Reply 181
thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 182
Helloeryone

I am starting to write my personal statment but i am stuck and dont know what to do
Basically i want to study either law with german or business with german

My question is if it is possible to have one personal statement for two different subjects like these and if yes can anyone help me in how i can write it
I would appreciate any help

Thank you
Yes, it is possible to write a personal statement for two subjects. You have to ensure that you include both - I.E. when you mention the skills you have gained from work experience etc. make sure they are linked to the skills that the unis offering the 2 courses are looking for. Don't specially say 'I love this subject' but try and show your passion for both without limiting yourself to just one of them.
Reply 184
Oh okay
So for these courses i can say that i have worked in a law firm and this stimulated my intrest in studying law
Of course there will be other reaseons aswell
And for bussiness i can say that i have always wanted to explore the business world from the making profit aspect to the marketing aspect and therefore have not only studied this subject at gcse and a level but also done relevant work experience in retail environments which have encouraged me to study business aswell.

And for german do i just have to mention it once or twice with each subject like say how i believe that studinying a language with law or business will not only fullfill my potential but also make me attractive to future employers

Thank you
Reply 185
Original post by Hasban
Helloeryone

I am starting to write my personal statment but i am stuck and dont know what to do
Basically i want to study either law with german or business with german

My question is if it is possible to have one personal statement for two different subjects like these and if yes can anyone help me in how i can write it
I would appreciate any help

Thank you
See the first post in the thread I've moved this into.

My advice would be to decide whether you want to do Law or Business - or given that German features in both your choices, is it that you are primarily interested in German and flexible about what you study alongside it?

Once you've made your mind up about that, then you will find it easier to construct a personal statement that will convince the admissions tutor that you are committed to your choice. See the first post in this thread for more advice on how to go about this.
Reply 186
Yes it is tough decision to decide between these two as they are both my intrest and german i am doing because iam native speaker and want to be flexible and be able to use german in future
I know what you are saying because i will have to decide anyway
Which one would you pick between law or business
Original post by Hasban
Yes it is tough decision to decide between these two as they are both my intrest and german i am doing because iam native speaker and want to be flexible and be able to use german in future

It's not about what other people would pick, it's about what you would pick. If you are a native speaker of German, check carefully the sorts of things you'll cover in the German part of the degree, as it will not be designed for those kinds of students. No doubt any companies etc. would take note of the fact that you grew up speaking German and wouldn't need part of your degree to show any competence
Original post by *Interrobang*
It's not about what other people would pick, it's about what you would pick. If you are a native speaker of German, check carefully the sorts of things you'll cover in the German part of the degree, as it will not be designed for those kinds of students. No doubt any companies etc. would take note of the fact that you grew up speaking German and wouldn't need part of your degree to show any competence

In fact I wonder if being a native speaker would make getting an offer less likely? I think it'd be a good idea to call and check, and maybe consider doing a degree in business with a year abroad instead.
Reply 189
Original post by Hasban
If you are a native speaker of German, you need to check that the unis you are interested in will accept an A level in it as contributing towards meeting your offer - some unis won't.

As to which to pick - well that's something only you can decide. What interests you? Someone else's choice may be made for reasons which are of no interest to you.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
In fact I wonder if being a native speaker would make getting an offer less likely? I think it'd be a good idea to call and check, and maybe consider doing a degree in business with a year abroad instead.
I agree.
Reply 190
Can anybody help me with a law personal statement
Original post by 3mmz

Use the personal statement bank tab at the top of the forum.
Original post by 3mmz

:yes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Help%20

TSR's free personal statement review service that is safe and secure for your statement :h:
Reply 193
Original post by BethaneyJ
:yes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Help%20

TSR's free personal statement review service that is safe and secure for your statement :h:

But the queue is massive!! :biggrin:
Original post by Jkizer
But the queue is massive!! :biggrin:

Depends on your subject and how many helpers we have of that speciality :yes:
Reply 195
Depends on your subject and how many helpers we have of that speciality :yes:

Hehe my second opinion request has been like 5 weeks roughly, so i assume the queue for my subject is as long as the line for the new gta game!

I'll probably try a cheeky bump with a final draft tomorrow and see how it ends up! >:biggrin: (Though not expecting great stuff xD)
Original post by Jkizer
Hehe my second opinion request has been like 5 weeks roughly, so i assume the queue for my subject is as long as the line for the new gta game!

I'll probably try a cheeky bump with a final draft tomorrow and see how it ends up! >:biggrin: (Though not expecting great stuff xD)

We only guarantee first drafts :sadnod: so the wait for a first review will be much shorter :yes:
Reply 197
We only guarantee first drafts :sadnod: so the wait for a first review will be much shorter :yes:

My second review wait will be infinite!!! Hehe nah it's cool. If it gets checked then that's awesome but if it doesn't then so be it :smile:

May I ask 1 q'? Basically i saw in the ps guide about how you should avoid too much details on your subject to avoid it making seem too much like an essay. In mine, for extra reading I did a small summary and more criticisms for 2/2 books (1 which led to me researching for a competition) In another I mentioned my epq and what I discovered but I also mentioned almost an essay style conclusion (basically i question how sustainable xxx will be by doing yyy to maintain targets)

Though obviously I can't show my ps, I was wondering if it sounded like I was edging forward that essay style rather than PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
My second review wait will be infinite!!! Hehe nah it's cool. If it gets checked then that's awesome but if it doesn't then so be it :smile:

May I ask 1 q'? Basically i saw in the ps guide about how you should avoid too much details on your subject to avoid it making seem too much like an essay. In mine, for extra reading I did a small summary and more criticisms for 2/2 books (1 which led to me researching for a competition) In another I mentioned my epq and what I discovered but I also mentioned almost an essay style conclusion (basically i question how sustainable xxx will be by doing yyy to maintain targets)

Though obviously I can't show my ps, I was wondering if it sounded like I was edging forward that essay style rather than PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That conclusion sounds too essay-like. You need to relate what you've read back to YOU and why you found it interesting, rather than just analyse it
Reply 199
Original post by *Interrobang*
That conclusion sounds too essay-like. You need to relate what you've read back to YOU and why you found it interesting, rather than just analyse it

Oops sorry I typed it wrong! I meant to say the sustainable bit was the finishing sentence for my epq paragraph (second) ! (My bad)

Avoid all analysis? It was a question I mentioned so i thought it was fairly ok to use ! Basically talked on how epq has led to me research my topic, which I found out about xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest