The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Watercess
Regarding the structure of the Personal Statements, what are the general guidelines regarding breaks between the paragraphs? On the UCAS preview, my statement doesn't have any line breaks, but it is quite clear where one paragraph ends and another begins. Should I modify it to include these line breaks, or leave it as it is?

Read the About me section of my TSR profile for a demonstration of why proper line breaks are so important.
Original post by kerrydouglas
I've decided I'm applying for 3 Psych courses and 2 Primary Ed.

Which are both VERY competitive subjects - anyone applying to Primary Ed without a PS devoted to teaching is going to be on the reject pile (unless a university is desperate for students in which case do you really want to study there?).

Similarly if you apply to psychology with a primary ed PS then the admissions staff are going to be questioning your motivation to spend three years studying the subject straight away.

If you *insist* that you're unable to make up your mind between the two subjects before January 15th 2014 (so in 3 1/2 months) then I'd suggest making your PS 100% primary ed (but with some mention of interests in educational psychology).

You *will* have to chose between the subjects in 7 months time though - at which point you may not have much choice if you've failed to get offers for all your choices because your PS wasn't focused enough.

As Good bloke said above - you are better off picking ONE of these two to apply for.

If you hedge your bets then you risk no offers, if you pick one subject to focus your PS on then you risk 2-3 rejections.

Maybe try writing a PS for each of the subjects - trying to articulate what it is about each that you want to study may help you figure out which subject you REALLY want to apply for.
I have nothing to add to this excellent post other than to reinforce it 100%.
Reply 383
Just came back from holiday and have to submit first draft of PS tomorrow and I haven't even started... nor do I even know where to start. Long night ahead :/
Original post by PQ
Which are both VERY competitive subjects - anyone applying to Primary Ed without a PS devoted to teaching is going to be on the reject pile (unless a university is desperate for students in which case do you really want to study there?).

Similarly if you apply to psychology with a primary ed PS then the admissions staff are going to be questioning your motivation to spend three years studying the subject straight away.

If you *insist* that you're unable to make up your mind between the two subjects before January 15th 2014 (so in 3 1/2 months) then I'd suggest making your PS 100% primary ed (but with some mention of interests in educational psychology).

You *will* have to chose between the subjects in 7 months time though - at which point you may not have much choice if you've failed to get offers for all your choices because your PS wasn't focused enough.

As Good bloke said above - you are better off picking ONE of these two to apply for.

If you hedge your bets then you risk no offers, if you pick one subject to focus your PS on then you risk 2-3 rejections.

Maybe try writing a PS for each of the subjects - trying to articulate what it is about each that you want to study may help you figure out which subject you REALLY want to apply for.

I agree with the above, and add that as an alternative, you could apply for psychology and then train to be a teacher after graduating. It is likely to be harder to do it the other way round
can I use the word 'lab' in my personal statement or do I have to use laboratory because using lab is more informal but it does save a lot of characters
Original post by JellyTeapot
can I use the word 'lab' in my personal statement or do I have to use laboratory because using lab is more informal but it does save a lot of characters

The PS is formal writing; use laboratory, or find a way to use no word at all. If you are saying something like I enjoy doing experiments in the laboratory, the last three words are superfluous.

You should use the full word. Try changing your sentences so you don't have to repeat the word tho, as repeating can mean that the sentences won't flow
Original post by Good bloke
The PS is formal writing; use laboratory, or find a way to use no word at all. If you are saying something like I enjoy doing experiments in the laboratory, the last three words are superfluous.

Original post by *Interrobang*
You should use the full word. Try changing your sentences so you don't have to repeat the word tho, as repeating can mean that the sentences won't flow

okay thanks, does the same apply to mathematics rather than maths?
okay thanks, does the same apply to mathematics rather than maths?

Of course. Are you still trying to talk about A level subjects?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Of course. Are you still trying to talk about A level subjects?

Yeah, I haven't taken the section out yet, I'm a bit confused because everyone that I speak to says something different
Yeah, I haven't taken the section out yet, I'm a bit confused because everyone that I speak to says something different

Well, I'll try to tip the balance: don't waste characters on talking about your A level subjects. You'll be giving most of them up, for one thing.
guys, if you had a huuuuuge list of extracurriculars, and was passionate, about let's say painting, cooking and needlework, would you mention it in a scientific, medical personal statement?

I've been told I would sound really sensitive and they may take it the wrong way... what you think?
Original post by magdalisious
guys, if you had a huuuuuge list of extracurriculars, and was passionate, about let's say painting, cooking and needlework, would you mention it in a scientific, medical personal statement?

I've been told I would sound really sensitive and they may take it the wrong way... what you think?

I would say don't put it in because you've got too much else to cram in that's relevant.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I would say don't put it in because you've got too much else to cram in that's relevant.

whaaat if you had just enough space to say that?

or still, would you rather not include it?
whaaat if you had just enough space to say that?

or still, would you rather not include it?

I can't really see that it's especially relevant, but if I were passionate about it, I suppose so. Are you trying to make me give some sort of judgement on the nature of your hobbies? If so, I'm afraid I won't. Any hobbies, no matter what, have to earn their place in a ps and most of them don't.

Your hobbies say nothing about you. Literally nothing. They'll just take up space that you could be using to tell them how super-mega-brilliant you are at all things medical. Unless your hobbies are directly relevant or develop a degree specific skill then just leave them out.

Can you link painting, cooking and needlework directly to medicine? I doubt the answer is yes.

The space you'd use (probably a few lines) could be better used elsewhere, to expand more on your work experience, or possibly fit in another book you've read.

I would say the same thing if your hobbies were boxing, snowboarding and shooting though. ETA: Actually, that list of hobbies is way more controversial than yours.
Reply 398
i havent started my personal statement only have notes...

i feel so far behind:frown:

hows everyone getting on?
Original post by boateng
i havent started my personal statement only have notes...

i feel so far behind:frown:

hows everyone getting on?

You're not alone.
I've decided to do mine in chunks eg this week I'm concentrating on intro. By end of month I hope it will be ready :-D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending