The Student Room Group

Gcse grade requirements for a-level

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
there aren't any specifically, some colleges might not let you do a subject unless you get a certain grade (usually B or above) ask them though :smile:
It depends upon your college, but the exam boards generally advise a minimum of grade B in that subject at GCSE (or a related subject - e.g. maths or perhaps business studies for economics).
My college requires an A for your subjects, and an A* for further maths. I would strongly advise you against taking further maths without an A* in maths at GCSE.
Reply 3
Already got an A* in maths and I'm currently awaiting my additional maths result:smile::smile:. does anybody know the required english grade for economics for most sixthforms?
Reply 4
My school requires you to get at least a B in the subject you have chosen to do at A Level. :smile:
Maths: Some sixth forms require you to achieve an A at GCSE, others a B grade. Check with your sixth form about this because they do differ.
F Maths: Typically, most sixth forms require an A* in your Maths GCSE, some allow an A. Once again, check with your sf.
Econ: Grade B or higher in Maths and English
Phys: BB in Double Science (core and additional) or B in Physics and a B in Maths. Once again this does differ so check. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by justanotherindigo
Maths: Some sixth forms require you to achieve an A at GCSE, others a B grade. Check with your sixth form about this because they do differ.
F Maths: Typically, most sixth forms require an A* in your Maths GCSE, some allow an A. Once again, check with your sf.
Econ: Grade B or higher in Maths and English
Phys: BB in Double Science (core and additional) or B in Physics and a B in Maths. Once again this does differ so check. :smile:

would that be english language or literature?
Original post by AT97
Already got an A* in maths and I'm currently awaiting my additional maths result:smile::smile:. does anybody know the required english grade for economics for most sixthforms?

C. For subjects that are not compulsory at GCSE, all you generally need is 5 A*-C at GCSE (including English and Maths) Entry requirements for "core subjects" such as Maths and the sciences, are generally higher and more subject specific.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AT97

Language :smile:
Original post by AT97

GCSE English Language.
Reply 10
Original post by justanotherindigo
Language :smile:

would they accept a B in lit?
I'll take my sixth form as an example:

Maths - A
FM - A*
Economics - B in English & a related subject
Physics - AA or BBB
Reply 12
Original post by AT97
I'm going to start sixthform in about two months time and I just wanted to know what the required gcse grades are for my chosen subjects
I'm going to choose: Maths, Further maths, physics and economics
Thanks in advance.

I've chose the exact same options!!!!!!:awesome:

Just B=< (this means B's and above):smile:
Reply 13
Original post by thatitootoo
GCSE English Language.

[INDENT]would they accept a B in lit?[/INDENT]

Original post by AT97
[INDENT]would they accept a B in lit?[/INDENT]

Have you already achieved that?
I don't think they'll accept that as an alternative. But if you get a D in language, they might allow you to resit GCSE English Language alongside your A-levels...

You'll also need that C or above in English Language to get into a university btw.

And if you can get a B in Lit, you could easily achieve a C in Eng.Lan tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by thatitootoo
Have you already achieved that?
I don't think they'll accept that as an alternative. But if you get a D in language, they might allow you to resit GCSE English Language alongside your A-levels...

You'll also need that C or above in English Language to get into a university btw.

And if you can get a B in Lit, you could easily achieve a C in Eng.Lan tbh.

Currently, I'm two marks into a B for English language, but my teacher said the grade boundaries might go up:frown::frown:
Original post by AT97
Currently, I'm two marks into a B for English language, but my teacher said the grade boundaries might go up:frown::frown:

That's not bad at all! I doubt the grade boundaries will be too harsh this year, after what happened last August anyway :tongue:

Have you checked the college website / prospectus? They might let you do Economics with a C in E.Lang. :smile:
Original post by AT97
would they accept a B in lit?

I'm not so sure on this one. Most courses place more emphasis on Language so you might have to check! Although at some sixth forms, they do make an exception.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending