The Student Room Group

Best A Levels for an English lit and history degree

Just your opinion on the most appropriate ones.
Reply 1
English Lit and History, obviously. Then maybe another essay-based subject, such as Philosophy or even a language. Then the fourth subject would be a subject that the person picking these subjects would enjoy, even if it's a science or something like Graphics.
Reply 2
Like Layla said, English Lit and History.

In addition, I would suggest Latin or one or two modern foreign languages.

Religious Studies would be a good fourth subject. In fact, you should probably get one of Michael Gove's bibles and read it over the summer.
Reply 3
Well obviously English Lit and History but you could also try other ESSAY-BASED subjects such as English Psychology or Philosophy..I should warn you though..Im gonna study for an A-level in English Lit too and i've heard the worst..You're supposed to be a god if you get an A... Its what i heard so i dont know anything personally if anyone does try to ask someone you know who's chosen the specific subject ! It could help you or ask students of the university you want to attend!
Reply 4
Original post by Theaaa
Well obviously English Lit and History but you could also try other ESSAY-BASED subjects such as English Psychology or Philosophy..I should warn you though..Im gonna study for an A-level in English Lit too and i've heard the worst..You're supposed to be a god if you get an A... Its what i heard so i dont know anything personally if anyone does try to ask someone you know who's chosen the specific subject ! It could help you or ask students of the university you want to attend!

My sister got a B at GCSE, she flunked the exam due to anxiety, she got an A* at A Level and is now in her last year of her degree. I'm proud of her now you said that! But I'm capable of an A, I haven't lost 1 mark at GCSE.
Reply 5
Obviously English Lit and History. Either a modern language or classics/latin/greek are highly valued for History degrees if that's an option. I personally think Geography is a good choice, and human geography can link in nicely with History in my opinion (on a broader level to that of A level, I think geography is vital to understanding the human processes behind historical events shaping the modern world - the growth of America as a super power is a good example).

Have a look at the Russell Group guide (the Russell Group represents most the UK's top unis including Oxford, Cambridge and the LSE): http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Page 27 lists facilitating A levels (subjects that are highly regarded and keep your options open)
Page 29 gives examples of hard and soft subjects
Page 40 and 41 offer essential and useful subjects for History and English respectively
Page 40:
English
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
English Literature or combined English Language & Literature(some courses will accept English Language).
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
History, Religious Studies, a foreign language.

Page 41:
History
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONSMost degrees require History.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Economics, English Literature, Philosophy, Politics, Sociology, Theology/Religious Studies, a modern or classical language.

Really though you should choose subjects you enjoy and are good at, as well as considering how unis will regard them.
Reply 6
English Lit
History
A Language
Another essay subject, maybe philosophy, but this option doesn't matter as much if you do the first three

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say English Lit, history, a language and philosophy but if your not comfortable with a language guess you can go for something else that's essay based

Quick Reply

Latest