Anyone Else's Bursary Cut Substantially Despite No Changes?

Watch this thread
dav14
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My award letter came in the other day and my bursary (so not including loans for living) was £500 (so 50 per month after the initial £100 in september).

But last year it was £1550 and thus i was gettng £155 per month.

Nothing has really changed, i dont work, my dad is retired and my mum workes part time.

Im entering my final 5th year of the course.

Any ideas folks or should i get on the phone and ask wtf?

Thanks
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dav14)
My award letter came in the other day and my bursary (so not including loans for living) was £500 (so 50 per month after the initial £100 in september).

But last year it was £1550 and thus i was gettng £155 per month.

Nothing has really changed, i dont work, my dad is retired and my mum workes part time.

Im entering my final 5th year of the course.

Any ideas folks or should i get on the phone and ask wtf?

Thanks
It's because you're entering your final year - you always get less in your final year.
dav14
Rep:
(Original post by Knalchemist)
It's because you're entering your final year - you always get less in your final year.
Ah, fair enough. I had no idea. Thanks!
dav14
Rep:
But, would you not agree £1550 down to 500 is quite a large difference for not taking into account the summer months?
mythtakes
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The bursaries have all been reduced by quite a lot. Last year, my bursary was around £2500 and this year it'll be £500 (I'm an independent student). The majority of living costs will be covered by the loan, if you've chosen to apply for it, that is.
dav14
Rep:
(Original post by mythtakes)
The bursaries have all been reduced by quite a lot. Last year, my bursary was around £2500 and this year it'll be £500 (I'm an independent student). The majority of living costs will be covered by the loan, if you've chosen to apply for it, that is.
thanks, yeah i just seen a document that explains all. They are being stingey with the free money lol.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dav14)
thanks, yeah i just seen a document that explains all. They are being stingey with the free money lol.
not really, free money goes towards your tuition fees if you stay in Scotland.
Rach_92
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
YES me i'm getting £100 a month and i spend £14 a day on train fair to uni. So this really sucks I'm not sure if i can afford to go back to uni. It's not because it's your final year it's because they have simplified the bursary process this year basically everyone whose household income is between something like 17,000 a year and 25,000 a year all get the same amount paid to them. Those under 17,000 get more (can't remember exact figure) and those over 25,000 get less (£50 a month)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (68)
18.48%
No (146)
39.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed