Workmen Watch

This discussion is closed.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well, theyve just been to fix the window that got destroyed in the winds, and it took them about 10 minutes to fix. So, theres me expecting them to bugger off back to head office or whatever - when they ask for a cup of tea. How cheeky can you get, seriously?
Barny
Rep:
?
I dont even know how to make tea.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Well, theyve just been to fix the window that got destroyed in the winds, and it took them about 10 minutes to fix. So, theres me expecting them to bugger off back to head office or whatever - when they ask for a cup of tea. How cheeky can you get, seriously?
whats wrong with that.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
they are soooo anoying! we've got them in to fit some new doors and they honestly are the most disgusting creatures known to man. yesterday they spilt coffe down my £100 GHD hair straightners!! :eek:
Barny
Rep:
?
Well, I was ready to go back to bed and get another 3 hours sleep, instead they wanted tea...also Im male, I thought they only asked women for tea?
samd294
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
fair do's, workmen expect their tea, its like some kind of religious custom. Once when I was left at home to let them in and they asked for some without me offering first of all and then continued to specify exactly how they wanted it "a nice golden colour with a small teaspoon of sugar". you'll get it how I make it and be happy with it *****!
big mama
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
fair do's, workmen expect their tea, its like some kind of religious custom. Once when I was left at home to let them in and they asked for some without me offering first of all and then continued to specify exactly how they wanted it "a nice golden colour with a small teaspoon of sugar". you'll get it how I make it and be happy with it *****!
If they were working anti-social hours and/or travelled a fair distance to get there (and back) - a cup of tea seems quite a reasonable request - I guess it depends whether it sounded like a request or a demand. Mind you no-one would ask for my tea twice!
_GáMMá_
Report 15 years ago
lol... asking you for tea?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's not exactly hard :rolleyes:
Amy-Allum
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
whats wrong with that.

I cannot believe you do not know how to make tea are you for real?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had joiners in to fit a new window in my room, they were very professional, it took two of them 5 hours to fit a large double glazed UPVC window, they didn't make any mess and they charged £350 including the window.

They just made me realise that there are some good people left in the construction industry. They are not all dirty cow boys waiting to rip you off.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I had joiners in to fit a new window in my room, they were very professional, it took two of them 5 hours to fit a large double glazed UPVC window, they didn't make any mess and they charged £350 including the window.

They just made me realise that there are some good people left in the construction industry. They are not all dirty cow boys waiting to rip you off.
The problem with the construction industry is that it has been de-skilled and under-regulated.

My Dad served a 6 year apprenticeship to become a carpenter back in the late 50's/early 60's. It now takes what? 2 years? As a matter of fact 30 odd years ago it was almost impossible to get a job as a tradesman unless you could produce your "papers" It's now difficult to find anybody with papers.

The lack of regulation means that any person can set up a construction company and start building/demolishing things.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
you've got to be kidding me.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by DazYa13)
you've got to be kidding me.
Yeh I was, but I hadnt made it in a while, when they asked for it I had to think what to put it in it..
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh I was, but I hadnt made it in a while, when they asked for it I had to think what to put it in it..
You got broadband?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
The problem with the construction industry is that it has been de-skilled and under-regulated.

My Dad served a 6 year apprenticeship to become a carpenter back in the late 50's/early 60's. It now takes what? 2 years? As a matter of fact 30 odd years ago it was almost impossible to get a job as a tradesman unless you could produce your "papers" It's now difficult to find anybody with papers.

The lack of regulation means that any person can set up a construction company and start building/demolishing things.
Yep its a pretty sorry state, the other problem is electrictians. You don't need to be qualified to do it, and any cowboy can stick plug sockets in. Before I do any electrical work I always check the IEE wiring regulations to ensure what I am doing is legal and save however you would be amazed how much dodgy wiring I've seen in new houses. This because unskilled labourers are doing the work and not proper qualified trademan.

As regards to apprecentships been shorter this maybe partly because power tools have made life a lot easier.

I think the best way of getting a good trades person is to go by word of mouth.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my experience, removal men are the worst when it comes to asking for cups of tea :rolleyes:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yep its a pretty sorry state, the other problem is electrictians. You don't need to be qualified to do it, and any cowboy can stick plug sockets in. Before I do any electrical work I always check the IEE wiring regulations to ensure what I am doing is legal and save however you would be amazed how much dodgy wiring I've seen in new houses. This because unskilled labourers are doing the work and not proper qualified trademan.

As regards to apprecentships been shorter this maybe partly because power tools have made life a lot easier.

I think the best way of getting a good trades person is to go by word of mouth.
Of course another problem is that the industry is divided into the white and black markets (not talking about the color of the tradesmen folks!)

Take company A. It's a limited company, charging VAT, paying CITB levy, paying a fortune for insurance, (product and public liability, equipment, vehicle etc) running several vehicles, training a couple of apprentices, maintaining a yard, paying rent, taxes, and utilities on an office, and some plant/machinery of it's own etc

Now take "one man band" B. Uninsured, and working on a "cash basis" out of the back of a van.

Who's going to be the most competitive? Despite what we all know "you get's what you pays for" it's fairly obvious that (certainly in the domestic market) Mr. and Mrs. Average are going to have the one man band build their extension and not the small limited company because they'll be a 30% price difference. Who, on the face of it can blame them?

This of course has put many hundreds of small local bona-fide companies out of business or forced them to drive down labor rates to a point where their tradesmen have effectively given up and moved to another industry. One reason why there's a trade shortage.

And of course when the one man band makes a complete hash of it (as is common) out come the cameras and we're treated to another documentary about "cowboy builders"

Still, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i cant belive they had to ask for a cup of tea.....if you'd offered they wouldnt have had to ask!!

love Katy ***
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads