The Student Room Group

Chemistry with foundation year???

I am going to Hull to study Chemistry with foundation year, as a 23 year old mature student. I just wanted to hear from anyone who has done this course, at Hull or any other uni. I was wondering how the course is graded and what exactly it entails.

I have just completed my AS levels and want to know what the course will be like compared to college.

Also do you reckon If I get 3 A's at AS and then high marks in my foundation year I will be able to swap to a better uni in 2014?

Feedback from anyone with any ideas or experience of this situation would be much appreciated. . .
Original post by Amenbreak321
I am going to Hull to study Chemistry with foundation year, as a 23 year old mature student. I just wanted to hear from anyone who has done this course, at Hull or any other uni. I was wondering how the course is graded and what exactly it entails.

I have just completed my AS levels and want to know what the course will be like compared to college.

Also do you reckon If I get 3 A's at AS and then high marks in my foundation year I will be able to swap to a better uni in 2014?

Feedback from anyone with any ideas or experience of this situation would be much appreciated. . .

Sorry not in your situation, I have a question though. If you're on track for three A's at AS why not finish A levels and go to a decent uni?
Reply 2
Original post by ApplyYourself
Sorry not in your situation, I have a question though. If you're on track for three A's at AS why not finish A levels and go to a decent uni?

Because I can't handle another year at college with 16-18 year olds, and also I want to fly the nest asap.
Because I can't handle another year at college with 16-18 year olds, and also I want to fly the nest asap.

I understand your frustration :s-smilie:

my best advice is that you soldier on for just 1 more year then go on to do the course you went, wherever you want.
Reply 4
Original post by ApplyYourself
I understand your frustration :s-smilie:

my best advice is that you soldier on for just 1 more year then go on to do the course you went, wherever you want.

Thanks for your advice, it would be wise to do A2 but I feel leaving home now will benefit me more in the long run.
Reply 5
Thanks for your advice, it would be wise to do A2 but I feel leaving home now will benefit me more in the long run.

I think you should see the one extra year at college as a stepping stone to going onto a better course than the one at Hull-the time investment will be worth it.
Reply 6
Also, foundation years have full uni fees for a-level standard work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by MrMikeEsq
Also, foundation years have full uni fees for a-level standard work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its more geared towards university not so much A-level. The style of teaching is completely different.

As for foundation years, they should fully prepare you for your first year at the university you are studying. I did a foundation year (In physics) At Loughborough then transferred university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending