The Student Room Group

Focsoc

Freshers Off Campus SOCiety

this exists at Birmingham uni- where i am going to go!!
i am thinking of living at home- will this society help me at all?
Reply 1
Newcastle Uni had a similar sort of thing during freshers week, - I avoided it though, - I prefered to meet a wide variety of people, rather than just those living locally.
Bitewing
Newcastle Uni had a similar sort of thing during freshers week, - I avoided it though, - I prefered to meet a wide variety of people, rather than just those living locally.

are u living at home then??

how have you found it??
Reply 3
I lived at home for the first month, until I managed to get accomadation in halls. Freshers week was hard but once my course had started it was a lot easier to to make friends with people on your course regardless or where you are living. It wasent too bad as it was only a short bus ride in, and there were a lot of people on my course who were also living off campus. However I did feel like I was missing out on the whole 'student lifestyle' - attempting to look after myself, the freedom to go out whenever I wanted to and to be in such close proximity to loads of other students. I'm definately glad I got uni accomadation in the end.
Bitewing
I lived at home for the first month, until I managed to get accomadation in halls. Freshers week was hard but once my course had started it was a lot easier to to make friends with people on your course regardless or where you are living. It wasent too bad as it was only a short bus ride in, and there were a lot of people on my course who were also living off campus. However I did feel like I was missing out on the whole 'student lifestyle' - attempting to look after myself, the freedom to go out whenever I wanted to and to be in such close proximity to loads of other students. I'm definately glad I got uni accomadation in the end.

that may happen to me- i have applied for accomodation but obviously i am bottom of the pile because i live nearby!
its a lot of money though, just to meet more people!! :confused:
Reply 5
ruthiepoothie
that may happen to me- i have applied for accomodation but obviously i am bottom of the pile because i live nearby!
its a lot of money though, just to meet more people!! :confused:

Even if your bottom of the pile something will come up by the end of the first term. Newcastle accomodation was incredibly oversubcribed but everyone got in and there are still rooms empty now! It is a lot of money, though I think its been worth it judging on my own experience.
Bitewing
Even if your bottom of the pile something will come up by the end of the first term. Newcastle accomodation was incredibly oversubcribed but everyone got in and there are still rooms empty now! It is a lot of money, though I think its been worth it judging on my own experience.

accomodation at birmingham seems to be REALLY exoensive- cheapest self catering is still about £3000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and if i lived at home i would have use of a car
:confused:
Reply 7
ruthiepoothie
accomodation at birmingham seems to be REALLY exoensive- cheapest self catering is still about £3000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and if i lived at home i would have use of a car
:confused:

wow that really does seem expensive. I'm not sure how much mine is a year but it works out about £43 per week, admittedly it is very basic, but it means that whereever I live next year will seem like a palace in comparison!

If you are driving into Birmingham will you not have problems parking?
Bitewing
wow that really does seem expensive. I'm not sure how much mine is a year but it works out about £43 per week, admittedly it is very basic, but it means that whereever I live next year will seem like a palace in comparison!

If you are driving into Birmingham will you not have problems parking?

well....here is the cunning plan.......
my dad works at the univeristy....so he has a parking place...and most of the time i could go in with him......then i could have the car in the evening if i wanted....
or if u mean parking in central birmingham....i know a few places where you can park for free...or i could leave the car on campus and come back with everyone else and then drive home....
i dunno......but i just don't know if i want to spend £3000 when i could live at home for free and still make friends but just have to make more of an effort.....
I think that for first year if you can get in uni accom, then take it. First year is going to be when you meet all the people you'll be friends with. I was thinking about commuting but decided not to bother until 2nd/3rd year.

Just guilt your parents into paying for it! "But daddy! I'll not make any friends!" :-D
colemanballs
I think that for first year if you can get in uni accom, then take it. First year is going to be when you meet all the people you'll be friends with. I was thinking about commuting but decided not to bother until 2nd/3rd year.

Just guilt your parents into paying for it! "But daddy! I'll not make any friends!" :-D

they will pay for it but only afterwards...
they have a fund set up for me, but i won't get that until summer 2005...
in a way i really want to move out...but i don't know if i could then move back....suppose i could get a pt job to cover some costs.....

i have a lt bf as well- i would see more of him if i was at home, well it would be easier...but then we could have our own space if i moved out....i don't know hmmm.... :confused:
Confusing stuff. :-((

But the important thing is you're going to Birmingham!
colemanballs
Confusing stuff. :-((

But the important thing is you're going to Birmingham!

yay!!!!!
i know its fab!!

where are u at or going??

Latest

Trending

Trending