The Student Room Group

Law, Accounting, or both?

I'm probably going to try to obtain a top position in a company, or start my own business, in the future. That's my ambition, anyway.

Which of the following options do you think would be best?:
1. LLB, followed by ICAEW's ACA
2. BSc in Accounting & Finance, followed by ICAEW's ACA (I'll apply for degrees with more exam exemptions)
3. BSc in Accounting & Finance only (no ACA)

I don't want to apply for a degree in say, Law and Accounting because such undergraduate courses are not offered by most universities.

Also, I'm currently doing A-Levels. My current subject combination is Math, Further Math, Econs, Accounting and English Language. I may only do Further Math and/or English Language up to AS, because I may not be able to cope. The rest of my subjects are finalised, and I'll be doing them up to A2. I was thinking of dropping Further Math if I do an LLB; or dropping English if I do a BSc A/F.

However, a Queen Mary representative told me I should try to do both Further Math and English up to AS regardless of what degree I choose, in order to help make up for my few subjects at IGCSEs (6A* 1B).

Which should I aim/try to do?:
1. Both Further Math & English up to AS
2. Further Math up to A2
3. English Language up to A2

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Oh, and in case anyone asks: Between Law and Accounting / English and Further Math, I really can't decide which I would prefer.
Option 1 or 2 depending on your preference, both will give you opportunities to be successful. 3 alone won't get you very far.
Reply 2
Original post by Tokyoround
Option 1 or 2 depending on your preference, both will give you opportunities to be successful. 3 alone won't get you very far.

Hi, thanks so much for replying! :smile: Did you mean Option 3 as in BSc A/F without ACA, or Option 3 as in English Language, or both?
Original post by allycsf
Hi, thanks so much for replying! :smile: Did you mean Option 3 as in BSc A/F without ACA, or Option 3 as in English Language, or both?

Very rarely nowadays will just a degree get you to a top position (unless you start your own business), so ACA or some other professional qualification will need to be done.

In my opinion A-Levels don't matter too much, do what you think you will get the highest grades (and therefore UCAS points) in.
Reply 4
I did option one, LL.B & ACA. Seems to be working out pretty well so far.
Reply 5
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
I did option one, LL.B & ACA. Seems to be working out pretty well so far.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Did you have any difficulties getting an ACA training agreement with an LLB though? I'd obviously like to get into a reputable firm but I'm afraid that doing an LLB would make it tougher for me to get in, in comparison to those who did an A/F degree.

Also, could you recommend any other degrees that may compliment accounting/finance? For instance, would Economics be a good choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Given most notable firms don't care what degree you did, either option 1 or 2 is fine.

But do remember that, operating on the premise that you'll only be doing one degree, a law degree will open you up to more opportunities than an accounting degree.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I didn't want to do an A/F degree because I wanted to have open more doors for myself since I'm planning to do ACA anyway. One of my main concerns was that doing an LLB would make it tougher for me to get a training agreement in a top firm, in comparison to those who did an A/F degree. If what you said is true then that's one worry off my list! :smile:

Could you recommend some other degrees that may complement accounting/finance? For instance, would Economics be a good choice? I'm not sure how interested I am in Law, but I think I'm more interested in A/F. And if I decide to do A/F or start my own business in the future (my ambition is the latter), I'd preferably like something that would complement that/be useful to me in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by allycsf

That's exactly what I was thinking - I didn't want to do an A/F degree because I wanted to have open more doors for myself since I'm planning to do ACA anyway. One of my main concerns was that doing an LLB would make it tougher for me to get a training agreement in a top firm, in comparison to those who did an A/F degree. If what you said is true then that's one worry off my list! :smile:

Could you recommend some other degrees that may complement accounting/finance? For instance, would Economics be a good choice? I'm not sure how interested I am in Law, but I think I'm more interested in A/F. And if I decide to do A/F or start my own business in the future (my ambition is the latter), I'd preferably like something that would complement that/be useful to me in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is like law in the sense that both are really broad subjects that you can do anything with and you're already doing A-level Maths
Reply 8
Original post by allycsf

Did you have any difficulties getting an ACA training agreement with an LLB though? I'd obviously like to get into a reputable firm but I'm afraid that doing an LLB would make it tougher for me to get in, in comparison to those who did an A/F degree.

Also, could you recommend any other degrees that may compliment accounting/finance? For instance, would Economics be a good choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all, I got into Tax in a Big 4 firm with my first and only application.

Economics seems to be held in high regard, my Partner read economics.
Reply 9
Original post by allycsf
I'm probably going to try to obtain a top position in a company, or start my own business, in the future. That's my ambition, anyway.

Which of the following options do you think would be best?:
1. LLB, followed by ICAEW's ACA
2. BSc in Accounting & Finance, followed by ICAEW's ACA (I'll apply for degrees with more exam exemptions)
3. BSc in Accounting & Finance only (no ACA)

I don't want to apply for a degree in say, Law and Accounting because such undergraduate courses are not offered by most universities.

Also, I'm currently doing A-Levels. My current subject combination is Math, Further Math, Econs, Accounting and English Language. I may only do Further Math and/or English Language up to AS, because I may not be able to cope. The rest of my subjects are finalised, and I'll be doing them up to A2. I was thinking of dropping Further Math if I do an LLB; or dropping English if I do a BSc A/F.

However, a Queen Mary representative told me I should try to do both Further Math and English up to AS regardless of what degree I choose, in order to help make up for my few subjects at IGCSEs (6A* 1B).

Which should I aim/try to do?:
1. Both Further Math & English up to AS
2. Further Math up to A2
3. English Language up to A2

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Oh, and in case anyone asks: Between Law and Accounting / English and Further Math, I really can't decide which I would prefer.

You get a Bsc in Applied Accounting when you go for ACCA.
Reply 10
I was thinking the same thing. I am doing my finance and accounting degree. I then plan to complete my ACA exams for chartered. Thats where the confusion starts. Do i go back to uni and do a law degree or complete it at a college or something. And what job would you go into. Im hoping corporate finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending