The Student Room Group

Pretty much screwed. What does one do in my situation?

So at the end of the month I have to move out of this property and I still have not found a job. Been searching for 2 months for a landlord that accepts housing benefit without asking for sky high deposits. Finally found one but turns out housing benefit will only pay me half the rent £53 a week but the full rent is £102 a week.

So I have no job, no money, and soon nowhere to live. I'm 25 and have no idea what I'm going to do. I've thought about it very carefully and the only option left for me so I don't end up homeless is to go to prison.

It is definately an option in my opinion, what isn't an option is sleeping rough. It's very rare for people to get back on their feet once on the streets.

I don't smoke, drink or do drugs so I have no problem about that, I just need somewhere to live, and I don't mean live as in to survive... I need hot showers, 3 meals, a warm bed and the only thing available to me that can provide that is prison.

What the hell am I meant to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could you stay with a friend?

I'd stay out of prison, it's not fun
Is a criminal record really going to be the most useful thing for getting a job?
Reply 3
Original post by Rob da Mop
Is a criminal record really going to be the most useful thing for getting a job?

Also a good point.

It's a short term solution with long term repercussions
Original post by chronicking
Also a good point.

It's a short term solution with long term repercussions

So tell me what the other option is? Sure prison would be it terribly difficult to get a job but so would smelling like garbage with no money for any clothes. Once on the street you will NEVER find a job, unless you know someone as a close friend who will give you that opportunity.

I have very few friends and they can not put me up, if push came to shove I could stay a few days or so with them but that is it.

At least prisons have schemes now where they work with specific organisations which get soon to be released offenders into jobs. At the moment nobody will even give me the time of day and I have worked before and I have no criminal history. I literally don't even get a phone call.

You know you're never going to find a job when you apply for 5 cleaning firms and don't get a call back
Reply 5
I'm so sorry to hear about your condition, but having a criminal record will seriously damage your future.

I think you should go to the council or Citizens advice bureau. BUT DO NOT RISK IT IN PRISON....prison is NOT nice, so you get a roof over your head but how do you know the rest will work out.
Also maybe you can try and talk to your landlord about this, or maybe bunk with a friend/family

I really hope you work things out, sorry there's not much I can do to help.

take care.
Reply 6
If you truly have no other options then the answer is obvious, go to prison.

However, after reading through your other threads, you say you were in the navy?

I fail to believe men you've served with won't help you out, if not with accommodation then at least with money, if they won't they are scum.

If you do have to get yourself locked up don't go hurting anybody to do it.
as strange as it may seem you wouldn't be the only person to have done this.

I know all about the job situation, it's definitely hard right now.

Just out of curiosity, what ARE you going to do to get arrested?
Reply 8
Is there anywhere in the country where rent is £53 a week? I assume the DWP doesn't give extra for bills, so including bills.
Reply 9
I agree - go and speak to your local Council and/or Citizens Advice Bureau. If you're not making yourself intentionally homeless (ie leaving your home because you want to) the council will have a duty to house you once your tenancy ends. Although this may land you in a bed and breakfast for a little while, that is FAR better than sleeping rough or ending up in prison....
If you truly have no other options then the answer is obvious, go to prison.

However, after reading through your other threads, you say you were in the navy?

I fail to believe men you've served with won't help you out, if not with accommodation then at least with money, if they won't they are scum.

If you do have to get yourself locked up don't go hurting anybody to do it.
as strange as it may seem you wouldn't be the only person to have done this.

I know all about the job situation, it's definitely hard right now.

Just out of curiosity, what ARE you going to do to get arrested?

I was in the navy 5 years ago. I've not been in contact with them for a very long time. Well I'm not a violent person and wouldn't want to cause harm to anyone so it would most likely be something like drug dealing :frown:

Anyone not saying I would do this just seems like I have no other option.
Reply 11
Troll
Reply 12
Stay with a friend who understands and sympathises.

Move back in with our parents (its not embarrassing at all, you'd be surprised at the number of people your age who live with their parents).

Do NOT get yourself sent to prison. That is definitely not the answer, and will not help you short term or long term.
Live with a friend? Move with parents/family member? Claim JSA for a while until you find your feet, live in a hostel?

Fall down a flight of stairs and go to hospital for a few days...

ANYTHING ELSE...just not jail.
Original post by remrod
Stay with a friend who understands and sympathises.

Move back in with our parents (its not embarrassing at all, you'd be surprised at the number of people your age who live with their parents).

Do NOT get yourself sent to prison. That is definitely not the answer, and will not help you short term or long term.

I have no parents, both are deceased. I've supported myself sinse the age of 16 when I got my first job as a labourer. It's a sad fact but I really don't have many friends. I have people I know, but they're not what I was call friends... It wouldn't be my place to ask them for such a favour.
Original post by Pancakes<3
wouldn't want to cause harm to anyone so it would most likely be something like drug dealing :frown:

Dealing drugs hard enough to get you into prison are pretty likely to cause harm.
I was in the navy 5 years ago. I've not been in contact with them for a very long time. Well I'm not a violent person and wouldn't want to cause harm to anyone so it would most likely be something like drug dealing :frown:

Anyone not saying I would do this just seems like I have no other option.

NO! DO NOT SELL DRUGS!

Take it from somebody who knows, you don't want to get involved with that life.

I spent 4 years heavily involved and the more money you make the riskier it gets, just stay away.

Go and punch a copper or something but don't rip your life and the lives of others apart with drugs.

If your not trolling just go to the council and explain, if they're having none of it then get locked up
So at the end of the month I have to move out of this property and I still have not found a job. Been searching for 2 months for a landlord that accepts housing benefit without asking for sky high deposits. Finally found one but turns out housing benefit will only pay me half the rent £53 a week but the full rent is £102 a week.

So I have no job, no money, and soon nowhere to live. I'm 25 and have no idea what I'm going to do. I've thought about it very carefully and the only option left for me so I don't end up homeless is to go to prison.

It is definately an option in my opinion, what isn't an option is sleeping rough. It's very rare for people to get back on their feet once on the streets.

I don't smoke, drink or do drugs so I have no problem about that, I just need somewhere to live, and I don't mean live as in to survive... I need hot showers, 3 meals, a warm bed and the only thing available to me that can provide that is prison.

What the hell am I meant to do?

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Go to your local citizens advice bureau.They can direct you to hostels and shelters for at least 2 weeks whilst you figure stuff out. Try your local job centre as well.

Um...what would you do to end up in prison? Robbery, rape, GBH are absolute NO GO zones. Ending up in prison will make it hundreds of times more harder to get a job or even get housing in future plus its not a walk in the park in prison. Other offenders may hurt you or cause you to end up in even more trouble. Don't do it.

Try out the other options.

Good luck.
NO! DO NOT SELL DRUGS!

Take it from somebody who knows, you don't want to get involved with that life.

I spent 4 years heavily involved and the more money you make the riskier it gets, just stay away.

Go and punch a copper or something but don't rip your life and the lives of others apart with drugs.

If your not trolling just go to the council and explain, if they're having none of it then get locked up

It's not a troll, thousands of people are in my situation all over the UK but most don't come onto TSR to talk about the problem lol.

and yeh I guess that is all I can do. I'll go back down the job centre on monday and see what I can do but between me making this thread and the post I'm making now, I applied for 3 more jobs so we shall see.
Reply 19
You wouldn't go straight to prison for drug dealing, you will be in and out of court, whilst out on bail for months anyway.

A criminal record (depending what it is) doesn't always have a detrimental affect on your chances of getting a job, a lot of companies can't even do a CRB check. But a custodial sentence most certainly would.

I would say squat, but I'm not sure what the law is on squatting anymore.

I would get in touch with the Salvation Army and see if they can help you out till you get on your feet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending