A-Level Stationary Shopping ~~

So sixth formers... I need to go shopping :wink:

What do you recommend?
What did you find useful?
What do you wish you had?
Anything else I need to buy???

Thanks in advance!!
Post your favourite study tools!:biggrin:

EDIT: Thanks for your answers.. but I know all that.. pens, ring binders etc...
but what about things that many people don't have/forget e.g. memory sticks and post it arrows :wink:
Any specific items e.g. a really good quality producer/ company
What did YOU find useful and why?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cutie_Pie
So sixth formers... I need to go shopping :wink:

What do you recommend?
What did you find useful?
What do you wish you had?
Anything else I need to buy???

Thanks in advance!!
Post your favourite study tools!:biggrin:

Depending on your subjects, a large ring binder will be nearly essential to keeping your notes and files you get organsied :smile:
Also you'll need some paper of course, but try get some decent quality like 70gsm or greater as your notes deserve the quality :biggrin: Whsmith currently give out a £5 off when you spend £12 or more voucher when u initally buy something there, which can be handy! I got 3 x 400 pack of paper from there for a bargain price!

Dont forget a good amount of pens too! Also file dividers help a lot separating topics / units in your folder.
Reply 2
Binders would be essential to keep your notes organized, sticky notes to help put down any necessary information, highlighters would be beneficial, a lot of pens as you'll be writing a lot (depending on your subjects - you'll still need a lot of pens to remain on the safe side), plastic wallets would be good, notebooks are compulsory so be sure to get a few of them (may need a few more later down the year depending on you), maths equipment if you're doing science and/or maths and you may want to purchase a diary to keep track of anything important (optional).
Reply 3
Pen, Paper and a folder per subject
Homework diary
Note pad
folder
High lighters
stickynotes
ring binders
memory stick
plastic walet
*Stationery

I'd strongly recommend dividers, hole reinforcers, hard drive, display waller :smile: I'll be doing my shopping soon :biggrin:
Get a load of lined A4 notepads, a ringbinder for each of your subjects, a load of biros, some pencils, a rubber, a ruler, a calculator. Get a clear pencilcase too so you don't get caught out half an hour before your first exam. That's what I've used for my AS year and it's been fine.
Reply 7
Notebooks! I made the mistake when I started of writing everything on paper and it gets very unorganised very quickly. When I started revision I found myself spending a whole day trying to find all the pages and work our what went with what. If you can keep everything organised it may be alright for you but it's so much easier to just use notebooks! :smile:
Reply 8
I started the year with everything; pencil case, highlighters, pens, pencils, rubbers, sharpeners, different sized rulers, etc, etc.
I finished the year with a pen. :wink:

In all seriousness, organisation is really important at A-level. I basically had one large ring binder which I took to college with me everyday. I had four of those A4 dividers and I wrote one of my subjects on each one, so that my large folder was divided into four sections - one for each subject. In those sections I kept all the current work that I needed so that I had all the work that I would need each day, but not too much.

I then had four smaller ring binders which I kept at home - again, one for each subject. In those I kept all the work we no longer needed in class everyday - like topics we had finished. Then when it came to revision, I had all my notes in one folder.

I also used plastic wallets - not everyone does this, but I found it really useful. I put all my handouts and copied up notes in a plastic wallet before I stored it in my large folder or one of my smaller folders. You can hole punch everything and store it that way, but I had so much work that everything started to rip out of my folder and I started to lose stuff.

I'd suggest buying some cheap A4 notepads. I started the year with WHSmith premium A4 notepads but I went through them so fast, so just settled for the cheaper ones. I had two sets of notes at AS - the notes I did in class, and the notes I made myself as revision.

You could either use four separate notebooks and keep all your notes written up in those. I prefer writing up all my notes and tearing them out of the notebooks so I can store them in my folders in plastic wallets - I just found it easier when it came to revision. You need to be pretty organised to do that though.
Reply 9
Original post by Deziah
I started the year with everything; pencil case, highlighters, pens, pencils, rubbers, sharpeners, different sized rulers, etc, etc.
I finished the year with a pen. :wink:

In all seriousness, organisation is really important at A-level. I basically had one large ring binder which I took to college with me everyday. I had four of those A4 dividers and I wrote one of my subjects on each one, so that my large folder was divided into four sections - one for each subject. In those sections I kept all the current work that I needed so that I had all the work that I would need each day, but not too much.

I then had four smaller ring binders which I kept at home - again, one for each subject. In those I kept all the work we no longer needed in class everyday - like topics we had finished. Then when it came to revision, I had all my notes in one folder.

I also used plastic wallets - not everyone does this, but I found it really useful. I put all my handouts and copied up notes in a plastic wallet before I stored it in my large folder or one of my smaller folders. You can hole punch everything and store it that way, but I had so much work that everything started to rip out of my folder and I started to lose stuff.

I'd suggest buying some cheap A4 notepads. I started the year with WHSmith premium A4 notepads but I went through them so fast, so just settled for the cheaper ones. I had two sets of notes at AS - the notes I did in class, and the notes I made myself as revision.

You could either use four separate notebooks and keep all your notes written up in those. I prefer writing up all my notes and tearing them out of the notebooks so I can store them in my folders in plastic wallets - I just found it easier when it came to revision. You need to be pretty organised to do that though.

Now this, THIS is what I asked for - personal preferences :wink:
Thank you so much!! You have been really helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Cutie_Pie
Now this, THIS is what I asked for - personal preferences :wink:
Thank you so much!! You have been really helpful :smile:

No problem, glad I could help. :-)
My collage stationary list

The Palgrave student planner by Stella Cottrell is the holy grail of planners/ diaries its a little excessive for A level as its mainly for uni students but if your an organisation freak like me its perfect. If you fill it in with all it asks for you will literally have the all the info for being the perfect studet at your finger tips.

Whats also very useful is an automatic pencil, may sound odd but depending on your subject choice your bound to get through a few packets of pencils, however if you have an automatic one you have it for life unless you lose it. you can get cheap ones or your can go expensive i've compromised with a Techniclick G 0.5 by Pentel which is not the cheapest but good quality and ergonomic. Using one of these instead of pencils also means you don't need a sharpener and most come with a built in rubber so its a win win.

Another tip is to use a retractable pen so your not constantly losing pen lids and or having to delve under tables and under people feet to retrieve your pen lid when it goes walk about.

Selotape is also another helpful itam to have because an alternative quick way of sticking sheets instead of glue also very helpful when sticking in double sided sheets (only applies when using a pad or exercise book) it also lasts longer so by the end of the year you don't get the badly glued sheets hanging out your folder. If you don't want to see the Sellotape you could use double sided tape although this is a bit more of a faf and is almost impossible use with out nail and it take longer. However i have seen someone with a thing that directly applies the double sided tape for you (it looks and works a bit like the tip ex strip appliers).

also its always useful to have a sharpie for labelling and other stuff.

Another useful item is a binder popper wallet which is basically a popper wallet that goes in a binder, its useful for putting random notes and sheets that don't really have a place or will be organised into place in the future, you can also put any odds and ends in there without risk of losing them. (try Rymans for this)

Also having a pooper wallet or some sort of small file holder is useful for preventing letters or forms being lost or being crumpled beyond usefulness in the bottom of your bag.

hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Binturong girl
My collage stationary list

The Palgrave student planner by Stella Cottrell is the holy grail of planners/ diaries its a little excessive for A level as its mainly for uni students but if your an organisation freak like me its perfect. If you fill it in with all it asks for you will literally have the all the info for being the perfect studet at your finger tips.

Whats also very useful is an automatic pencil, may sound odd but depending on your subject choice your bound to get through a few packets of pencils, however if you have an automatic one you have it for life unless you lose it. you can get cheap ones or your can go expensive i've compromised with a Techniclick G 0.5 by Pentel which is not the cheapest but good quality and ergonomic. Using one of these instead of pencils also means you don't need a sharpener and most come with a built in rubber so its a win win.

Another tip is to use a retractable pen so your not constantly losing pen lids and or having to delve under tables and under people feet to retrieve your pen lid when it goes walk about.

Selotape is also another helpful itam to have because an alternative quick way of sticking sheets instead of glue also very helpful when sticking in double sided sheets (only applies when using a pad or exercise book) it also lasts longer so by the end of the year you don't get the badly glued sheets hanging out your folder. If you don't want to see the Sellotape you could use double sided tape although this is a bit more of a faf and is almost impossible use with out nail and it take longer. However i have seen someone with a thing that directly applies the double sided tape for you (it looks and works a bit like the tip ex strip appliers).

also its always useful to have a sharpie for labelling and other stuff.

Another useful item is a binder popper wallet which is basically a popper wallet that goes in a binder, its useful for putting random notes and sheets that don't really have a place or will be organised into place in the future, you can also put any odds and ends in there without risk of losing them. (try Rymans for this)

Also having a pooper wallet or some sort of small file holder is useful for preventing letters or forms being lost or being crumpled beyond usefulness in the bottom of your bag.

hope this helps

WOW!B You're a genius!!! Thank you soooo much!
Most people started A-Levels at my college with a whole host of expensive looking stationary, and by the end of A2 almost everyone was just bringing in their notebook and a pen, and whatever notes we might need for the lesson in a crappy plastic wallet. So - yeah - get a bunch of decent ringbinders and subject dividers, and a homework planner/diary so you can organise your time.
Reply 14
How I remember how to spell stationery vs stationary.

Consider the 'a' in stationary - it's much less likely to roll away than the 'e' in stationery. Ergo, stationary refers to something that is not moving and through elimination stationery refers to pens, paper etc.
Reply 15
I am going into sixth form in two weeks.

I have now purchased:

2 squared notebooks( maths)
4 lever arch files
4 ring binders
6 notepads
black pens
1 red,green pen
A4 dividers
post-it notes
2 lined/ graph paper work books
Plastic wallets
scientific calculator

I am doing three sciences and maths at A-level. Is there anything else essential that you think I would need?
I'm going into AS, but I went around asking teachers what they thought I should bring :colondollar: I'm doing Psych, Business, History and English.
I've brought:
- Calculator (GCSE castoff)
- Memory stick x 2 (one is a backup!!)
-Lots of cheap pukka pad sort of things (WHSmith have a 3 for £7 I think? Make sure writing doesn't come out on the other side)
- A buttload of black pens. (I like wilkos cheapies)
-Highlighters, coloured gel pens
-Big files (99p shop do red ones, Sainbury's do PASTEL coloured ones!! :bban:smile:
-Hole reinforcers
-Plastic wallets at the end of each folder so I can put hanouts there- I always lost them or they got rucked up in my bag!
-I've brought a really nice shoulder bag but I wouldn't be surprised if I have to use a rucksack by the end of the year!
- Bringing summer notes would be a great start to your first day :tongue:
-Post-its (one colour/subject- eg psych is pink, english is blue...)
-Glue
-Dividers
-A personal planner

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest