Loan Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mampi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Aimed at the uni bods,

Does your student loan only cover your course and accommodation fees’ i.e. halls?
Do you have any left over or do you have to get an over draft?

And just pondered, how much debt are you in so far?

Cheers
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mampi)
Aimed at the uni bods,

Does your student loan only cover your course and accommodation fees’ i.e. halls?

Cheers
Im spending at the moment about 400 a term (books, going out etc). my parents pay the 100 odd fees and the 3000 odd accomodation.

I have a 3000 loan, and a 1250 overdraft, i'm not using the overdraft and the loan is sitting in a isa at the mo.

The loan will only really pay for fees and accomodation if your lucky. Also, it depends on your circumstances
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mampi)
Aimed at the uni bods,

Cheers
um, well i know my housing is pricey but thats all my student loan covers! All £3000 of it

My parents set up a bond when i was younger which pays for my fees, but thats it.

I'm not in more debt as i refused an overdraft in favour of some savings I made last summer, but loads of my friends hav maxed out their £1000 overdrafts :eek:

they aren't kidding when they say you'll leave up to your eyeballs in debt.
Emma18
Report 15 years ago
im not at uni yet, but before i go i want to have earned about 3000 (i have a part time job) my parents are going to pay my fees 1,250 ish, and my loan will pay for my accomodation, (2500 ish) not all worked out yet tho, what are other people planning to do??
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Emma18)
im not at uni yet, but before i go i want to have earned about 3000 (i have a part time job) my parents are going to pay my fees 1,250 ish, and my loan will pay for my accomodation, (2500 ish) not all worked out yet tho, what are other people planning to do??
wow £3000, you have more self control than I did!

I started saving in the october of my last year at college, and managed to save £1400 before I went to uni the following october. Hope to get a job now at the end of May and work until october... can't wait
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Emma18)
i am saving from my gap yr job (not very successdully though!!) i should have around £2,500 to £3,000 plus loan (£2000 ish cos living at home- but don't want to spend this) and parents have fund for me- should cover loan if i end up spending loan!! i will pay my own fees....i reckon i will spend about £50 per week (£500 per term ish) so about £1,500 to £2,000 per year......
i shouldn't end up with any debt...hopefully
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mampi)
Aimed at the uni bods,

Cheers

my loan is £3158.
my Accomodation costs are £3065.64.
fees are £1125.
Internet costs are £50.
Hall subs are £35.
text books for the first year cost £75.

so without everyday spending, remembering i go through a 150 sheet a4 pad of paper and 2 pens a fortnight. my course and halls cost

-£1192.64

so yeah, i needed an over draft...and some money in your account before you go...

love Katy ***
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I get £3000 in loan. Accomodation is £2745.12, which leaves me a grand total of £254.88 spending money...which has pretty much all gone on books and stationary stuff and things I need for my course (lab coat, safety specs, breakage deposit for lab work etc). Fortunately my parents have had some kind of bond for uni, so they pay my tuition fee's of £1125 and put £300 into my bank account every month for me to live off (I'm self catered so thats my food and going out and every day money).

The way the loan is paid means i will be overdrawn when I have to pay this months accomodation next week. The loan is paid each term, and I get installments of £990, £990 and then £1020 (which is after Easter) and as I am only here for 5 weeks after Easter, before summer hols, i'll hardly spend any of that so it should all work even(ish) by summer.

Last summer I did a lot of work and saved about £1800 - I bought my laptop with that and then left the rest in a current account that doesn't have an overdraft, to use when I want to buy clothes or CD's or other things that I don't want to use my loan for.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I get a £4000 loan (Only had £2400 of this so far)
My parents pay my tuition fees.
I pay £2450 for accomodation (Only paid £2000 of this so far)
Spent £50 on books.
I saved up £700 before I came to uni.
I am £966 into my overdraft.

(2400 + 700) - (2000 + 50) =

£1050 for general living.
I have spent £2016. Ooops :rolleyes:
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to recieve £1500pa in loan
My parents used to pay my rent £2000pa
They also used to give me £150 a month to cover living expenses/food etc (although not during the holidays).
I had £2500 saved up before I started uni (from 18 years of birthday presents - £100 of which was invested into shares which increased in value 10 fold).
I also received a £200pa grant.

My savings ran out during my second yr (3rd year at uni though - foolishly didn't take out a loan in my first first year).
_GáMMá_
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mampi)
Aimed at the uni bods,

Cheers
yeh.... mine only covers the course & accommodation fees...

I'm working part time to pay it off but it's interfering with the work assignments that i need to do...

I'm not sure how much debt i'm in right now, i need to check, but it's slowly being paid off
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, i'm bumping this thread back up cause it's really quite interesting!!!

Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I get about £3300 in loan. Accommodation is £660 a term, so £1980 a year. My parents pay my fees, and I cover everything else. I have ended up about £100 overdrawn at the end of the last 2 terms, but next term will probably not be going out as I'll have exams. I'm doing ok. I have about £2500 in savings from my Gap year, most of which I'm keeping in a high interest account - the rest I use for buying clothes when I need them, and for spending in the holidays - student loan is for term time! I'm trying to keep some of my savings for my clinical years, when I won't be able to work in the holidays.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%