The Student Room Group

Private Candidate

Hi everyone.
My name is Carley, I'm 20.
So basically I need some help and advice. I'm enrolled to do my Maths, English and Science GCSE's starting in September 2013 to June 2014, aiming to get A*-B grade. But for the course I want to do next year I need at least 4 or 5 GCSE's. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any centres that are reputable and take on private candidates for January 2014 exams. And what subject(s) I could do. I was thinking Art and Law as I find that I am fairly confident that I could do these within 6 months with intensive tutoring but don't know how to go about it. But I'm hoping that by June 2014 I will have my 4-5 GCSE'S, but my local college that I'm enrolled at only does the maths, english and science. That's why I want to do the extra 2 GCSE'S privately with tutoring by January then take my ones I'm enrolled on in the June. Need help and advice.

Thanks for reading :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Carleyx
Hi everyone.
So basically I need some help and advice. I'm enrolled to do my Maths, English and Science GCSE's starting in September 2013 to June 2014, aiming to get A*-B grade. But for the course I want to do next year I need at least 4 or 5 GCSE's. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any centres that are reputable and take on private candidates for January 2014 exams. And what subject(s) I could do. I was thinking Art and Law as I find that I am fairly confident that I could do these within 6 months with intensive tutoring but don't know how to go about it. But I'm hoping that by June 2014 I will have my 4-5 GCSE'S.

Thanks for reading :smile:

Do you need the 5 GCSES to do Alevels? and if so what alevels?
Reply 2
Yes I was planning on doing A Levels in September 2014. Possibly Maths and English again with some others but I'm unsure yet.
Reply 3
Ok sounds good try and pick up some more gcses or igcses in relevant subjects you want to take up at alevel. DO NOT use the homelearning sites where they charge 200pound and dont even book your exam. Phone local schools and try and find somewhere that will accept you as a private candidate, i would recommend doing igcses as they dont have coursework components. They key is with maths is to just practice and practice. Alevel maths is seriously hard its a whole different world compared to gcse maths. If your smart and you plan right you can achieve great things self studying but if you dont plan and leave it till last minute etc you will fail miserably. Goodluck in your journey(and it is a journey) i remember when i first posted a similar post on here a few years back :smile: you can do it
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by Carleyx
Hi everyone.
So basically I need some help and advice. I'm enrolled to do my Maths, English and Science GCSE's starting in September 2013 to June 2014, aiming to get A*-B grade. But for the course I want to do next year I need at least 4 or 5 GCSE's. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any centres that are reputable and take on private candidates for January 2014 exams. And what subject(s) I could do. I was thinking Art and Law as I find that I am fairly confident that I could do these within 6 months with intensive tutoring but don't know how to go about it. But I'm hoping that by June 2014 I will have my 4-5 GCSE'S, but my local college that I'm enrolled at only does the maths, english and science. That's why I want to do the extra 2 GCSE'S privately with tutoring by January then take my ones I'm enrolled on in the June. Need help and advice.

Firstly, January exams have been abolished, so your only option will be to take exams in the summer. Secondly, Art is not generally available to private candidates as the majority of the work has to be done at the exam centre. If you want to take GCSEs as a private candidate, then I would suggest picking 2 that are wholly assessed by exam as controlled assessment is next to impossible to arrange for private candidates. GCSEs what are wholly assessed by exam include (Maths), Law, RE, Economics and Psychology - I'm not sure what else. The alternative is to study IGCSEs as these always have a 'no coursework' option.

The obvious place to take extra GCSEs is the college where you are studying some already - that way if there are any exam clashes they can be sorted. Failing that, try looking on the exam board websites for advice - they all have pages for private candidates and advice on finding a centre. However, be warned, just because a centre is on their list it does not mean they will accept you for anything, let alone the subjects you want to do so ring up and ask. Prices also vary wildly , from £30 for a GCSE to £200, so shop around.

Quick Reply

Latest