Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has an offer at 35 IB points, but received a letter from the Uni saying if she put as her 1st choice (which she did) they who guarantee a place if she ' slipped one grade below at A level or equivalent) Now she has her IB results and we are pleased with her 32 points , and good scores at higher level, the question is what points did she need to secure a place, ie what is the equivalent points of and a level grade at IB, as this was not clear on the letter?

ReputationRep:
    3 points is reasonably large. It's equivalent to about 30% on a single paper, which is a percentage which would be more than 1 grade in an A-level paper. However comparison is difficult, and ultimately you'll have to contact the university to see what their decision is. Often they are very flexible, especially in the 38+ range for IB. I don't know exactly how they will deal with a score in the range you're talking about. The main things to take into account will be your daughter's results in the subjects most relevant to the course she's applied for. If those subjects are 5 or more, I would suspect she is in with a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for prompt replies, paraphrasing the letter " if you place Lancaster as your firm choice, we can guarantee that your place will be confirmed even if you slip one grade below our A Level (or equivalent) offer, provided your specified grades are met' Her original offer is 35 points , which Lancaster have as AAB on their site. She has the required specified subject grades , Now when I look for an ABB A level course on the Uni web site it states IB equivalent as 32 points , so the question is with 32 points having been offered at 35 points does she meet the criteria of the letter or not, she says (quite rightly) only the uni can really offer, but just would like some input ........

ReputationRep:
    got the answer, she was accepted, so very pleased for her

ReputationRep:
    a IB score of 32 s actually good enough for Uni entry. Global average is 30. In Australia, 28 is the minimum cut off.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.