The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Is Sheffield University hard to get into?

Say, for example you miss your offer, are they likely to make concessions? Also, is it hard to get an offer in the first place? i.e. do you need several As and A*s at GCSE and fantastic AS results and predictions to be in with a chance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on what course you would like to do, but in general, they would be looking for 3 A levels grades A & B. I studied Biology here and although I got 3 As at A level the grade requirements were lower than that. Are you interested in studying in Sheffield? I could tell you more about uni life here if you'd like :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Quite a few courses dropped their requirements by a grade or two this year in clearing so yes they will generally let you in if you just miss your offer. In terms of ease to get into it depends on the subject, for engineering for example their offers tend to be lower than comparable universities.
Reply 3
Original post by Rosie@Sheff
It depends on what course you would like to do, but in general, they would be looking for 3 A levels grades A & B. I studied Biology here and although I got 3 As at A level the grade requirements were lower than that. Are you interested in studying in Sheffield? I could tell you more about uni life here if you'd like :smile:

Yes I am interested but I was just worried I wouldn't get the grades, did you enjoy your time there?
Original post by Helloworld_95
Quite a few courses dropped their requirements by a grade or two this year in clearing so yes they will generally let you in if you just miss your offer. In terms of ease to get into it depends on the subject, for engineering for example their offers tend to be lower than comparable universities.

Ok thank you, that sets my mind at ease slightly :smile:
Reply 4
Congratulations for getting your results! Did you get the grades? I loved it! So much that my partner and I have decided to stay here, I hope to do a PhD next :smile: Love this city, the people are so friendly and we have the best students union in the country!
Reply 5
Original post by Rosie@Sheff
Congratulations for getting your results! Did you get the grades? I loved it! So much that my partner and I have decided to stay here, I hope to do a PhD next :smile: Love this city, the people are so friendly and we have the best students union in the country!

Thank you, I got an A and the rest Bs, is it even worth applying? I don't want to get rejected :frown:
Original post by tinhat
Say, for example you miss your offer, are they likely to make concessions?

That depends entirely on the course, the quality of other applicants, the availability of places and your own personal circumstances. There's little anyone can tell you in regards to that.

Also, is it hard to get an offer in the first place? i.e. do you need several As and A*s at GCSE and fantastic AS results and predictions to be in with a chance?

I got 2A's, 2Cs and many Bs at GCSE and got in. As long as you have a minimum of a B in Maths and English Language and preferably a decent grade in the subject you want to study (assuming you studied it at GCSE) you should be fine, truth is GCSEs mean very little. As long as your AS grades and predicted A2 grades match up with the entry requirements for your specific course (which vary depending on the course) you should be fine.
Reply 7
Original post by michaelhaych
That depends entirely on the course, the quality of other applicants, the availability of places and your own personal circumstances. There's little anyone can tell you in regards to that.

I got 2A's, 2Cs and many Bs at GCSE and got in. As long as you have a minimum of a B in Maths and English Language and preferably a decent grade in the subject you want to study (assuming you studied it at GCSE) you should be fine, truth is GCSEs mean very little. As long as your AS grades and predicted A2 grades match up with the entry requirements for your specific course (which vary depending on the course) you should be fine.

Thank you, what course are you studying and what grade did you get in it in AS and then A2? :smile:
Original post by tinhat
Thank you, what course are you studying and what grade did you get in it in AS and then A2? :smile:

Biochemistry. I resat year 12 because I did terribly in my first attempt at AS (UUC)
But at "AS:attempt 2" I got:

AS: Geography: A, Chemistry: B, Biology: B, Psychology: C
A2: Psychology: A*, Geography: A, Biology: B
Reply 9
Biochemistry. I resat year 12 because I did terribly in my first attempt at AS (UUC)

Wow, that's great, what year did you apply? Do you think it is worth me applying?
Original post by tinhat
Wow, that's great, what year did you apply? Do you think it is worth me applying?

I just finished my first year. I have no idea whether you should apply; see how you do at AS first. Assuming you have B grades in GCSE maths and english there are no obstacles currently in your way.
Reply 11
I just finished my first year. I have no idea whether you should apply; see how you do at AS first. Assuming you have B grades in GCSE maths and english there are no obstacles currently in your way.

I wrote in an above post what I got at AS :redface:. An A and B's in everything else
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tinhat
I wrote in an above post what I got at AS :redface:. An A and B's in everything else

well check the UCAS website to see if your grades match or exceed the entry requirements for your desired course, I have no idea what you want to study and required grades vary from subject to subject. If ABB is sufficient for your preferred degree then go for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
well check the UCAS website to see if your grades match or exceed the entry requirements for your desired course, I have no idea what you want to study and required grades vary from subject to subject. If ABB is sufficient for your preferred degree then go for it.

The requirements are AAB and I think it might be quite a competitive course
Reply 14

so you're studying biochemistry at sheffield university :smile:
could you tell me a bit about the course?
because i thought about applying there but i'm still not quite sure which course i want to study :s-smilie:
is it much chemistry? cos i like biology better but i don't wanna study that.
maybe biochemistry, molecular cell biology or biomedical science.
Reply 15

Hey! You must be in the Molecular biology and Biotechnology department. I will be joining this September for the Human & Mol Genetics course.
Original post by JessicaJS
so you're studying biochemistry at sheffield university :smile:
could you tell me a bit about the course?
because i thought about applying there but i'm still not quite sure which course i want to study :s-smilie:
is it much chemistry? cos i like biology better but i don't wanna study that.
maybe biochemistry, molecular cell biology or biomedical science.

Biomedical science has it's own department so I can't tell you much about that. But Biochemistry and Molecular Cell are both part of the MBB department; you're first year will consist of 8 hours of lectures, 6 hours of labs and a further 3 hours of "analysis". The first semester will contain:

2 hours of Genetics

2 hours of Microbiology

4 hours of Biochemistry

You will do the Biochemistry exam in January and after that you will recieve 4 hours of Molecular Biology lectures per week instead.

This is the same for EVERYONE in first year, regardless of your degree, you have the option of changing your degree at the end of the year.

There isn't a great deal of chemistry involved in the Biochemistry module, there's quite a bit in the first few lectures but it's pretty basic (orbitals, non-covalent bonds, etc) just to get everyone up to speed (I can't give any information on second year modules as I haven't started them yet); the main focuses of the module are things like protein folding; membranes; molecular biomechanics; cell signalling and cancer. The Cancer lectures are very interesting but very intense. There's also 5 or 6 lectures about Thermodynamics which, if you haven't it studied before can be quite overwhelming.

The Molecular Biology module is the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life, I passed by 1%; how I have no idea. After 6 months of study most of the words were still just random shapes on a page to me :cry2:.

I can e-mail you some of my notes from last year if you like if you're more interested?

Original post by Praube
Hey! You must be in the Molecular biology and Biotechnology department. I will be joining this September for the Human & Mol Genetics course.

Get out while you still can... (no I kid, I'm sure you'll love it :work:)

I can e-mail you some of my notes from last year if you like if you're more interested?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Biomedical science has it's own department so I can't tell you much about that. But Biochemistry and Molecular Cell are both part of the MBB department; you're first year will consist of 8 hours of lectures, 6 hours of labs and a further 3 hours of "analysis". The first semester will contain:

2 hours of Genetics

2 hours of Microbiology

4 hours of Biochemistry

You will do the Biochemistry exam in January and after that you will recieve 4 hours of Molecular Biology lectures per week instead.

This is the same for EVERYONE in first year, regardless of your degree, you have the option of changing your degree at the end of the year.

There isn't a great deal of chemistry involved in the Biochemistry module, there's quite a bit in the first few lectures but it's pretty basic (orbitals, non-covalent bonds, etc) just to get everyone up to speed (I can't give any information on second year modules as I haven't started them yet); the main focuses of the module are things like protein folding; membranes; molecular biomechanics; cell signalling and cancer. The Cancer lectures are very interesting but very intense. There's also 5 or 6 lectures about Thermodynamics which, if you haven't it studied before can be quite overwhelming.

The Molecular Biology module is the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life, I passed by 1%; how I have no idea. After 6 months of study most of the words were still just random shapes on a page to me :cry2:.

hmm, i don't know if i'm up for that but i guess i'll just keep looking at courses and their modules..
if it's no trouble for you then i'd like to see the notes but if not that's ok :wink:
but apart from the course, would you recommend studying in sheffield? do you like the support, student life, the city,... ? :smile:
Original post by JessicaJS
hmm, i don't know if i'm up for that but i guess i'll just keep looking at courses and their modules..
if it's no trouble for you then i'd like to see the notes but if not that's ok :wink:
but apart from the course, would you recommend studying in sheffield? do you like the support, student life, the city,... ? :smile:

Well the course structure is going to be similar at all universities so Biochemistry may not be for you if that's the case. Sheffield is a fantastic city (to me anyway, I don't know how it compares to your hometown), it's vibrant, pretty and very green. Sheffield Student's Union has just been voted the best in the country for the second year running and they offer a huge variety of societies, etc. The Student Union building is huge and they've just expanded it this year. There are several libraries that are open 24/7, they even have showers. It's a really great university and area in general (but then again it's the only university I've studied at so I have nothing to compare it to).

I actually wasn't planning on coming to Sheffield, my first choice was York and I got an offer from them; Sheffield wanted to have an "informal interview" with me so I decided to go down just in case. At that point I was dead set on York, it was the only place I wanted to go and I didn't go to Sheffield with a particularly open mind. When I got off the train for my interview I actually got a bit lost looking for the bus stop, I spent at least half an hour wandering around an alien city panicking thinking "I'm probably going to die here" after a while the panic started to die down and I realised what a beautiful city Sheffield was, especially the centre of town. I found the bus and when I got to the interview I noticed how much nicer the university buildings in Sheffield looked compared to York, I found out I much preferred the MBB department in Sheffield to the equivalent department in York and I also found out about the great history of the department; out of the 5 nobel prizes Sheffield alumni have received 2 of them were from MBB (including Hans Krebs, the person who discovered the Krebs Cycle) and another that was very heavily focused on Molecular Biology; also the first successful trial of Penicillin occurred in what is now the MBB department. After I'd visited I decided Sheffield was were I wanted to go.

But yeah, sorry for rambling. I'll send my notes along.
Reply 19

That sounds like a lot of work!! But that would be cool if you can mail me your notes. I need to see what I am getting into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending