Serious Question about A-Levels

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TSS
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I am currently Doing 3 a-levels (Geography, Computing and Physics) and one GCSE retake(English)

Ovarall this year I have fallen Ill quite alot, so my overall attendance is about 65%.

I didnt even bother trying in the first modules. I came out with U for physics, U for computing and E for geography. But in the second/and third modules I have put more effort into the work.

I have just sat all my as levels now, and I feel that I have failed again or have got E's, Even after a ALOT of revision (about 2 hours a day for about 1 month)

But the annoying thing is that I really enjoy Computing (not the coursework tho) and physics, and if I dont get passes, I cant carry on that subject in my college.

If I fail everything now this year, what happens ?

Should I retake the year, but pick the subjects I know that I will enjoy (physics, computing, maybe maths and business studies)

I am really worrying about my future, and what the universities are going to think when I apply.

Anys advice would be greatly appriciated.
Computergeek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know how u feel, except i work hard, but i think that i have failed computing. I really like it but the exam was too hard, and i am having second thoughts on doing it at A2 but i dont have a choice cos i only do 3 AS to A2 subjects (comp, design, english) and digital imagaing

So if i do drop comp, then i will only have 2 A levels, and i dont want to have to stay at college for 3 years
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I know what your saying, It feels like your the most unlucky person in the world, and all your hopes and dreams are getting pulled away from you...

But there isnt really anything wrong with spending 3 years in college.

is there ?
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This may sooth you a little, I asked the same question to a Comp Sci admissions tutor at IC which is probably top3 in the UK:

Dear Mr Petrozzi

Apologies for the delay in replying to your email.

It will not count against you that you have spent 3 years at college, as we will be looking at the marks that you have already achieved and those that you are currently studying.

It won't go against you that you did not apply for deferred entry because this would not have been the correct way to apply in your case. Applicants who defer will have already had their results (in the same year that they apply) and will need to meet all of the conditions of an offer at the same time as those that are actually joining the course that year. As you will not be receiving your Mathematics and Physics result until next year, it would not have been possible to meet all of the prospective conditions.

You will need to contact UCAS for an application form, or obtain one from your college. These are usually available towards the end of June, and can be sent in as early as September this year. The deadline for applications is usually the middle of January.

I hope this helps answer your questions and if I can be of any more help please let me know!
A sigh of relief
Computergeek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont think that anything is wrong with staying in college for 3 years, i think it shows that u are determined
Swarz
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
In retrospect, you should really decide what Uni course you'd like to do, and start heading in that direction with the college courses you choose (if you do indeed re-start next year).

But, don't just think about what you'd enjoy - also think about what you're good at. Take me for example, I hate maths, and I find economics no more exciting than playing with grass, but I'm good at the subjects - better than if I took English, or History - so I chose them.

Consider college as a stepping stone for Uni - if you fully intend to go to Uni.

By all means, choose subjects you like - but don't choose them if you know you're not gonna get a half-decent grade on them, ya know what I'm saying?

Best of luck.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.14%
No (575)
65.86%

Watched Threads