The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't have any experience with these products but I would have a guess that most are massive cons. Stretch marks are scar tissue which isn't something you can alleviate without surgery.

Stretch marks are natural and most (all?) people have them. Best idea is to learn to accept and be happy with them :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by itskshhx
Okay so I've read online bio-oil works well on stretch marks, but has anyone actually used it one stretch and can tell me if it works? or if there's any other good way to get rid of them

some swear by it :unsure: the main ingredient is paraffin which you can buy a lot cheaper.
The ex burst (edible) vitamin E capsules and rubbed the oil out of those into the skin, doing which suprisingly worked out cheaper than branded bio oil.
Worked for me in making some scars look a lot less obvious and awkward.
Lucky for u I have bought it.
Erm its good I guess... The first few days I used it made a difference as the marks got lighter. It says on the bottle to use regularly for 3 months which I kinda have. There isnt.much difference so I just pretend there is :tongue:
I thinks oils generally help- just don't let them become painful and dry.
But yeah like the post above- these oils could be a con.
So love yur life and try to forget about them xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it really works!

I self harmed and regretted it immediately. I went to the doctor two days after and she prescribed me bio oil which I used religiously for a few weeks. I literally applied it up to 10 times a day and within two weeks, the scars had faded dramatically. Now, a year later, they are gone completely!

As for stretch marks, it has faded mine a lot but they haven't disappeared and are still slightly noticeable. Maybe it is just me over analysing my body; no one will immediately stare at my inner thighs to look for stretch marks if I went out wearing shorts! However, I think bio oil works best on FRESH scars. So if your stretch marks are quite old and already faded a bit then you won't get very good results. Despite this, I keep using bio oil on my stretch marks because it will prevent new stretch marks. Or if any new ones did appear, it will work really well because they will be fresh. I haven't noticed any new stretch marks since using it.
Reply 6
Bio Oil didn't work for me - AT ALL (although everyones skin is different, so it could work for you). The only thing that is working for me is organic unrefined shea butter mixed with a ton of natural oils (DIY) which are meant to repair the skin (tamanu oil, argan etc..) dermarolling and stamping and also drinking one teaspoon of MSM per day.
I used bio oil on my scar after my heart operation and although you can still see the scar its a pale pink although I didn't help with stretch marks
Reply 8
bio oil didn't help with my stretch marks, I used nivea moisturiser and that seemed to make my newer stretch marks a lot less obvious but didn't have much effect on my old ones
Reply 9
I was told by a nurse that Bio oil is good for conditioning the skin while its going through the process of stretching rapidly i.e. pregnancy. But once the stretch marks are there, Bio oil won't do much.

She told me about carboxytherapy. The nurse injects carbon dioxide in to the skin of the stretch marks. The presence of the carbon dioxide makes the body send lots of oxygen to the area in your blood, promoting healing. As far as the body is concerned it has fixed itself already (but you have ugly stretch marks), the carboxytherapy gets the body to do more repair work.

I probably explained that totally clumsily. I'm no scientist but it seemed to make sense when she explained it to me!! :redface:
Cocoa butter could help too. I use Palmer's and the ones on my outer thighs have faded, in some lights you can barely see them. Whereas the ones on my hips have stayed the same, quite bright white (I don't apply it on my hips).
Reply 11
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
Cocoa butter could help too. I use Palmer's and the ones on my outer thighs have faded, in some lights you can barely see them. Whereas the ones on my hips have stayed the same, quite bright white (I don't apply it on my hips).

I've got a small Palmers Cocoa Butter at home that I've been meaning to try out. My friend bought it for me as a surprise as I'd obviously been moaning about my stretch marks too much. I've got a patch of marks on the top inside of my arms as well. I assume they are stretch marks but I've not got bingo wings or anything!! :colondollar:
I did a REVIEW Blog Post on Bio Oil!
I had a baby last year but didn't get stretch marks, but I used it throughout my pregnancy (so maybe it did help to prevent it) and I still use it now to even out my skin tone, and to tone up those extra flabby post-natal bits.

Please go and take a look at my blog for a more detailed review =]
http://jyukimi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/bio-oil.html
Reply 13
Ive been using a cheaper version of it (rescue oil) every night for nearly a year now as I started to get dry patches on my face in the cold weather. As well as it keeping my skin soft I also noticed that my acne scarring (which is over a decade old) had fadded quite a bit after a few months, so Id imagine itd also fade stretch marks as theyre scar tissue. I've used vitamin e cream in the past to help fade stretch marks, I found it worked pretty well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
As a mom of 3 by my 3rd baby I had stretched a lot. I'm working on losing weight and toning my belly and have been using Dermalmd Stretch Mark Cream for a few weeks. I notice the stretch marks are not as harsh and the loose skin is firmer, smoother. I'd definitely recommend and will be buying again:smile:
Bio oil is great for the acne scars and stretch marks. Many Hollywood actresses used Bio oil for stretch marks. Senior actors like Priyanka Chopra also uses Bio oil for her skin.
Original post by itskshhx
Okay so I've read online bio-oil works well on stretch marks, but has anyone actually used it one stretch and can tell me if it works? or if there's any other good way to get rid of them
I've had Dermelastic serum for a week and I'm already seeing my purple stretch marks lighten! I tried a different product while I was pregnant and shortly after and it did nothing. Wish I would have started this earlier!!
Reply 17
i’m a bit late to this thread but i used coconut oil used for cooking from the supermarket and they are un noticeable after applying it for a month. x
I already had pre pregnant stretch marks but didn’t get new as I used the dermal md serum for 5 months ..so thankful because it helped me alot

Latest