The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For poems I did vultures and two scavengers. For the people who did this, what were the main points you did? I mainly spoke about images and techniques as far as language go, although I did comment on the structure of the two scavengers one. I mainly spoke about how both poems were fairly pessimistic, etc. For section B I did explain what I think a good friend is, but I too sounded like an old man XD.
Ok i did the cluster B question abotu this room and i compared it to search for my tounge which no one else I know did :s-smilie: but i did 3 pages of it so i taught wen kk then on the second bit i choose to describe my self bout having a gangster outside look but a soft inside! lol was preety good but it was only 1 page n 3/4 :s-smilie:

:suitc: InterAdriano
Am I the only person who didn't use 'Two Scavengers' in Section A? I compared 'Vultures' to 'What Were They Like?' and kept going round in circles. :frown:

For Section B I did the 'Describe Yourself' one, and it all went a bit surreal. In fact, at one point I ended up falling into my own eyes... :redface:
I did the poems vultures and nothings changed and discussed how both show people as evil - although vultures shows some despair for mankind. I also mentioned the backgrounds that human nature may have tried to cover up their past evils - prison camps knocked down and district 6 was also demolished. I also talked about how the language in the poems showed my points.

I then did they newspaper on people getting bored. I used a fairly informal tone, but also tried to make it sound a bit more like a newspaper article by giving quotes from people who were doing some of the things i was suggesting. Also stuck a bit of humour in - the sort of cheesy humour associated in advertising/newspapers. eg advertising for a football field rental i said go on give it a shot :smile: ...also mentioned the usual pro volunteer things and said get a job, gave some top tips and basically tried to do my best.

Anyways onwards and upwards - NO MORE ENGLISH ESSAYS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 24
I did question 1 and compared vultures with what were they like? Think I did alright, i've done better essays and would have far rather Nothing's Changed or Two Scavengers came up.

Did question 5, describe yourself as well. I felt like what I was writing was good, but now maybe I think it might be a bit corny. I started it with : I'm a dreamer. I want to travel the world.... etc I was trying to put in similies, metaphors etc, so it mind sound a bit ridiculous. I hope i've done a lot better on this paper though, because I was really running out of time on paper 1 and panicking so my writing task was nowhere near as good as I could have done.
Reply 25
How lucky am I :biggrin:
The question that came up for Cluster 1 was the one I did for a timed-essay which we did in class.

Thank You Mrs Coles :biggrin: :biggrin:

:redface:
Reply 26
Hashshashin
Am I the only person who didn't use 'Two Scavengers' in Section A? I compared 'Vultures' to 'What Were They Like?' and kept going round in circles. :frown:

For Section B I did the 'Describe Yourself' one, and it all went a bit surreal. In fact, at one point I ended up falling into my own eyes... :redface:

A friend of mine did that (Vultures and What Were they Like?).

I may have made the wrong decision. I was so set on doing Half-Caste that I convinced myself to do so - with Vultures. I have yet to find anybody who did the same! Anyone out there who did that?

I did the 'describe yourself' question for Section B. I think it went well. But I so would have preferred describing a place.

I compared this room with search for my tongue.. although considered Hurricane hits england. I compared them both because i interpret both of them as being about self discovery- shown by the imagery/plant metaphor in SFMT, and by the idea of breaking free in TR. I also said they both used nature related imagery because its easier for us to imagine, therefore impact of argument is more successful. Oh and they both 'celebrated' as well, and in both something positive came out of something negative. I also said (but this is pants) that the imagery was so brutal at the beginning of each poem, and there was such a contrast at the end, it left us feeling relieved and happy for the people in the poem... hmmmm.. lol. I didnt understand the mark scheme either- was it like 2 marks for each point or something? I made 10 main observations and talked about them with quotes etc.
I did 'This Room' and 'Blessing' - 'Vultures' sucks!

Question 6 was ok. Paper went well overall!
I think Vultures is an amazing poem, it compares how both species, Vultures and Humans, can nourish and care for their loved ones as well as commit such evil acts against their own kind. It is such a powerful, metaphoric poem - you really have to dig deep to find its inner connotations.

So yeah, I did the question about Vultures and compared it with Nothing's Changed and how people are fearing of change and unfamiliarity so they segregate themselves from other "races"

As for Section B, I did question 6 about when my parents split up when I was 11. I really did try to go for a metaphorical view of the event, I starting talking about how the cold words spat by my parents made the summer air icy... was really quite pretentious haha

But yeah, I think it went quite well.. hope for an A
Erm... i compared vultures with two scavengers
Then i did question 5 about describing yourself, i tried my hardest to make it original by starting off describing a boy who had a really mean father and then i described the father and his actions. at the end, i said the father was me and some other stuff

It has gotta be admitted- the questions were crap this year!
Reply 31
That could have been a lot worse. We hadn't studied This Room (thank you teacher) even though we did study some from cluster 2.

I did Vultures and spent 8 minutes deciding which other one to do because I swear none of them were relevant to the question except Vultures. So I picked Night of the Scorpion and did a really bad 2.5 sides essay.

In section B I wanted to do the inform one but I realised it was a newspaper article so I thought they may want special things that I didn't know newspapers have. So I went for "Describe yourself" and I made myself out to be a total freak. In latin we studied a bit with a lot of description describing snakes, so I used in in my essay! At one point I said "The room I'm in is making me sweat so I'm licking my quivering mouth with my hissing tongue" and at another point I said "It is as if my blazing eyes are suffused with blood and fire". Besides that, it was all rubbish, although scary.
thatblokejay - i agree, vultures with nothings changed could talk about some of the inner evils and the worrying fact that maybe we are born with it 'in our bones' then about how nothings changed has a far more bleaque outlook on humans BECUASE nothings changed, whereas vultures ended with the faint glimmer of hope...lol i think im still buzzing because it may have actually ermm gone well
Reply 33
I've been lurking for a while since the exams started but decided to register now. Anyway, For the first section I did 'Vultures' and 'Two Scaveners' like a lot of people, I ended up talking about how one focuses on the fact that everyone has a bit of good in them and the writer doesn't seem to hate any of the characters, and the other focuses on peoples inner beauty and all that jazz and that the writer seems to resent the fake people so he portrays them badly. For the second one I did describe myself as well, loads of people did that in our school. There was a group of people in the lower sets talking about how easy it was 'cos I just put ma myspace profile down' :rolleyes: . I'm not sure if I kept on task but I don't know whether that matters? It's all describing. I sort of described myself but ended up describing other objects and people too :confused: I compared a lemon to my forehead in height and then went on to have a paragraph describing that lemon how it was probably picked by a child etc. I'm not sure if it's really relevant but I can't do anything about it now.
SO many people did describe yourself.

I compared vultures with two scavengers and cant be arsed to write what i wrote.

For B, I did the change in your life, describing what it was and explaining how it made you feel.
It was pretty good, because if you described what happened, your feelings should be explained pretty well.
For section A I did Vultures and Night of the Scorpion.. so glad to hear other people did it too! Yeah and I talked about personification to present people, imagery and irony and structure for contrast or something like that lol. Then I did describe yourself, I didn't talk at all about what I look like.. to be honest it turned out very strange, which in a way is good and reflects me very well haha :biggrin: But anyway, it started with me being in the womb, then talking about the biology of bodies :s-smilie:.. umm then life and death, then people in my life, how people see me and then I ended talking about sitting on a bus? And there was some sort of philosophical ending which I can't remember :P Hopefully the examiner'll think it's original, and not a load of garbage which is what it seems like :smile:
Super17
For poems I did vultures and two scavengers. For the people who did this, what were the main points you did? I mainly spoke about images and techniques as far as language go, although I did comment on the structure of the two scavengers one. I mainly spoke about how both poems were fairly pessimistic, etc. /QUOTE]

My real main point that I can remeber for scavangers and vultures was that mankind has its priorities wrong, and we respect those who destroy the world and look down on those who clean up.

And i talked about how they are both united at the traffic lights even though the merc is still trying to speed away (its a shape poem) which shows that they are both united under the same law and i cant remeber what i got for vultures but there was SOMETHING.

And i wrote basically should we despair that there is no clear good/evil divide, or should we rejoice because evil has good in it.
Reply 37
I Found It Hard!!! :frown:
i think this exam went okay, considering i'd done like no revision for it at all. i did question 1, and compared vultures with two scavengers. then i did question 3, the article, and basically wrote how to get a job, directions to hyde park and random stuff like that!
Reply 39
I could have died when I looked at the paper and saw Vultures. Its the poem in the Cluster 1 that we actuaklly have not covered due to the fact that we've benn in exams when the teacher planned to do it. My mate gave me a few ideas about what it was about but I still didn't have much idea.

I compared it to Two Scavengers, and seeing as most people compared those two I'm guessing I must have kinda knew what I wsa on about to know which one to compare it to in the first place.

Never mind anyways. I did the describe yourself question for section B which I think went fairly well

Latest