The Student Room Group

Does every condition need medical evidence or an official diagnosis?

Hi, I suffer from a mental health problem as a result of a pre-existing disability. The thing is, I've never been to my GP about it and wouldn't be very comfortable in bringing it up because I'm worried that they won't believe me and if I go now to get a diagnosis and evidence, they probably won't believe me.

I just think that university will open up a lot of doors for me and I want to make the best start possible so I'd like to get all the support options available to me.

Can I just mention my condition to the assessor or do you think they'll want to see medical evidence?
Original post by ekf241
Hi, I suffer from a mental health problem as a result of a pre-existing disability. The thing is, I've never been to my GP about it and wouldn't be very comfortable in bringing it up because I'm worried that they won't believe me and if I go now to get a diagnosis and evidence, they probably won't believe me.

I just think that university will open up a lot of doors for me and I want to make the best start possible so I'd like to get all the support options available to me.

Can I just mention my condition to the assessor or do you think they'll want to see medical evidence?
For your condition, the SFE will need to see a letter from your GP confirming that you have the condition. When one has a Specific Learning Disability, then that person must provide a Plus 16 Diagnostic Assessment.
Reply 2
I'd advise you to talk to your disability adviser at university. You won't get to see a DSA assessor unless your funding body agree to fund the assessment, and then appropriate evidence has to be submitted at the first stage of the process.

Quick Reply

Latest